The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been looking at an iKegger system (https://www.ikegger.com/). Homebrew is great fun to brew (and what I've made has been pretty decent if I do say so myself, if it wasn't I'd just tip it out) but bottling at the end is painful...

Had the PL stout last night and was a fan, haven't had the mosaic yet.

What size do you want? I like the look of them. Bottling is a nightmare. My batches would always give me a full keg (18-19L) plus a handful of 450mL swingtop bottles. Have stacks of various bottles under the stairs that will never get opened.

I ended up adjusting my grain and water quantities to produce just a full keg but I like the idea of putting that excess into a 4L minikeg I can take to mates places, picnics, whatever.

What size do you want? I like the look of them. Bottling is a nightmare. My batches would always give me a full keg (18-19L) plus a handful of 450mL swingtop bottles. Have stacks of various bottles under the stairs that will never get opened.

I ended up adjusting my grain and water quantities to produce just a full keg but I like the idea of putting that excess into a 4L minikeg I can take to mates places, picnics, whatever.
Yeah, I was thinking one of the 23L (4L + 19L) systems to start with. Self-carbonating is a winner, and you can also easily transfer from the 19L to the 4L if wanting to take somewhere.

You can get the premium kit (https://www.ikegger.com/products/the-complete-23l-home-brew-keg-package) which gives you all the stainless steel fittings and works off a sodastream bottle, so that's the one I'm eyeing off currently. Seems like a pretty neat solution and as per you post above, will clear the 8+ boxes of bottles out of the garage too :thumbsu:

Yeah, I was thinking one of the 23L (4L + 19L) systems to start with. Self-carbonating is a winner, and you can also easily transfer from the 19L to the 4L if wanting to take somewhere.

You can get the premium kit (https://www.ikegger.com/products/the-complete-23l-home-brew-keg-package) which gives you all the stainless steel fittings and works off a sodastream bottle, so that's the one I'm eyeing off currently. Seems like a pretty neat solution and as per you post above, will clear the 8+ boxes of bottles out of the garage too :thumbsu:

Best thing about the keg setup is if you naturally condition the keg like a bottle with sugar. It draws from the bottom ad sucks out the sediment first 2 beers.

IPA is Indian Pale Ale
IIPA is a doubleIPA

more hops and a bit higher in alcohol/malt to carry the bitterness from the extra hops.
It's mostly just marketing wank these days. Practically the same beer.
I've also heard IIPA referred to as an Imperial IPA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any recommendations? I love a good stout in winter
A local fan favourite is BrewBoys Ace of Spades.
The Pirate Life stout is good.
Coopers stout is gutsy AF and quiet yeasty for a stout. I love it.

Every other SA stout has been decent without being great. Each local brewery has theirone style they're know for which isn't stout.
I find that stout just isnt popular enough to ever be a marquee style with in the craft beer industry.

A local fan favourite is BrewBoys Ace of Spades.
The Pirate Life stout is good.
Coopers stout is gutsy AF and quiet yeasty for a stout. I love it.

Every other SA stout has been decent without being great. Each local brewery has theirone style they're know for which isn't stout.
I find that stout just isnt popular enough to ever be a marquee style with in the craft beer industry.
Yeh quite like Coopers stout, will have to give the others a go if I see them. Not much choice up my way though, only tend to get something half decent when I'm down near Perth.

Yeh quite like Coopers stout, will have to give the others a go if I see them. Not much choice up my way though, only tend to get something half decent when I'm down near Perth.
Bit exxy but there are a lot of good beers online. Postage would be a killer though.

Maybe grab an uber and take your esky :D

Boozebud is expensive but have an every changing range.... dangerously good range actually. Deliver to your door anywhere in Australia I think. I've bought a couple of times through them so that's an option too.

Nail oatmeal stout and 4 Pines stout are both readily available in 6 packs at a heap of places, and both very good beers.
Yeh I love the Nail Stout, will get some next time I'm down. The local bottlo where I am closes at 6 and has a choice of export, vb and occasionally some fifty lashes.

Can't go past Founders Russian Imperial Stout for mine. Not to knock Feral Boris though, it's fantastic and it's reasonably priced and readily available.

I love a lot of what Nail does, but their oatmeal stout doesn't really do it for me. I like my stouts heavy, thick and syrupy, which is why I go for the RISs. Whilst not a stout, the Hughe Dunn Brown is fantastic, and it would be a dream come true if the Clayden Brew imperial porter was around much more frequently.

Last edited:
Can't go past Founders Russian Imperial Stout for mine. Not to knock Feral Boris though, it's fantastic and it's reasonably priced and readily available.

I love a lot of what Nail does, but their oatmeal stout doesn't really do it for me. I like my stouts heavy, thick and syrupy, which is why I go for the RISs. Whilst not a stout, the Hughe Dunn Brown is fantastic, and it would be a dream come true if the Clayden Brew imperial porter was around much more frequently.

Comparing stout and RIS is apples and oranges to me. I could drink a 6er of Nails or 4 Pines. More likely to share out a couple RIS at the end of a drinking sesh with a few people as a night cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back