The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been getting into this weird obsession of "cellaring" imperial stouts (or similar) over the past few months with the idea of drinking them come winter 2022.

Notably last night I picked up a couple of Estonian beers, one an imperial stout and a Baltic porter amongst other Aussie and NZ similars. Will have to do my best to hold off on these brews for a considerable time yet.

Buy this

One time like 10 years ago I stumbled across a cool bar in NYC. Turns out they were celebrating a Brooklyn brewery birthday or something. Got to try a 13 year old version of this which was hand bottled from the barrel by the brewer. Was outrageous. Like drinking bourbon flavoured fudge. Still remember it to this day and there’s been A LOT of beers since then

The Estonian beers, were they Pohjala? Or Puhaste? I haven’t had much of the latter but my lord the former are some of the best dark beers I’ve ever had. All massive beers too so should cellar quite well

One of each. Really looking forward to giving them a go.

One time like 10 years ago I stumbled across a cool bar in NYC. Turns out they were celebrating a Brooklyn brewery birthday or something. Got to try a 13 year old version of this which was hand bottled from the barrel by the brewer. Was outrageous. Like drinking bourbon flavoured fudge. Still remember it to this day and there’s been A LOT of beers since then

Caved and grabbed a bottle. Then grabbed another Pojala porter to drink tonight. Mouth already watering.

took the missus to feral for lunch during the week.. had to use a voucher I won from liquor barons before they shut.. enjoyed a number of their 7.5% grapefruit ipa Mr Froot.. mains and dessert and walked out w box of Boris and dark matter.. cost me $3.. top notch and a damn shame i didn’t go more often.. the missus drove home..

took the missus to feral for lunch during the week.. had to use a voucher I won from liquor barons before they shut.. enjoyed a number of their 7.5% grapefruit ipa Mr Froot.. mains and dessert and walked out w box of Boris and dark matter.. cost me $3.. top notch and a damn shame i didn’t go more often.. the missus drove home..
I heard they were closing, anyone know why?

I heard they were closing, anyone know why?

Just the brewpub and restaurant but will still be brewing beers. From what DanWCE said it's likely their lease has run out (or similar) or they wanted to move closer to the city and they hadn't organised another site in time, but they should be popping back up at some point in the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just the brewpub and restaurant but will still be brewing beers. From what DanWCE said it's likely their lease has run out (or similar) or they wanted to move closer to the city and they hadn't organised another site in time, but they should be popping back up at some point in the future.
Yeah I figured it was just the restaurant, the actual brewery etc in Basso got bought out by coke didn't it?

Yeah I figured it was just the restaurant, the actual brewery etc in Basso got bought out by coke didn't it?

Correct they sold to Coca Cola Amatyl a while back. Looks like they still get to experiment with beers nonetheless. Pretty sure recently (Father's Day) in this thread I posted about making a last visit there. Almost all of it was disappointing for me (been going there since the mid noughts), food, beers, service, atmosphere felt like s**t.

Correct they sold to Coca Cola Amatyl a while back. Looks like they still get to experiment with beers nonetheless. Pretty sure recently (Father's Day) in this thread I posted about making a last visit there. Almost all of it was disappointing for me (been going there since the mid noughts), food, beers, service, atmosphere felt like sh*t.
Yeah, I haven't enjoyed their beers or food for quite a few years.
Hop hog was my favourite beer for a while.

Almost all of it was disappointing for me (been going there since the mid noughts), food, beers, service, atmosphere felt like sh*t.

Agree with this. We went out a couple of weeks ago and the staff in particular were phoning it in. We wanted one last hurrah out there and the staff were not on the same level at all. They were all grumpy and rushed, didn't even want to let us play cornhole.

It actually soured the Feral experience for us all. After so many great days out there that's how it all ended. Bit of a bummer.

Goddamn. Now I gotta go out and buy this

My mind is blown at the quality of this beer, and it was the cheapest one of their's in the store. I'm daydreaming about it now like the morning after great sex.

My mind is blown at the quality of this beer, and it was the cheapest one of their's in the store. I'm daydreaming about it now like the morning after great sex.
I’m yet to have a bad beer by them. All of them closer to mind blowing than just good as well. I stumbled on them in a trip to Estonian and they were like 4 euro a bottle over there. My god. 12 euro and I was white girl. Then they rolled into Australia like 2 months after I got back. Now an auto purchase every time I see them but this last drop of them was enormous. Wallet got scared at buying the whole lot

I’m yet to have a bad beer by them. All of them closer to mind blowing than just good as well. I stumbled on them in a trip to Estonian and they were like 4 euro a bottle over there. My god. 12 euro and I was white girl. Then they rolled into Australia like 2 months after I got back. Now an auto purchase every time I see them but this last drop of them was enormous. Wallet got scared at buying the whole lot

I rate Garage Project as one of the best brewers I've drank. I had their Rocky Road stout straight after and it paled in comparison - like amateurish.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back