The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I find their beers to be pretty solid. Single Fin, Atomic and Little Dove are all good beers, but that Red Rye IPA is something special. Of course that's just my taste bud's opinion.

DanWCE I had the Boston Brewing Co's Raspberry Gose (along with the Red IPA) on Friday. Really not the beer for me.

Picked up a growler of Mountain Goat Rye IIPA from Mane Liquor on Saturday to have whilst watching the game against Carlton next weekend. At 7.2% I'm either gonna be really happy or really angry come the final siren.

Sours and goses can take a bit of warming up to. There's a definite palate shift. Some days it's all I want, other days I just need a big hop explosion and then I have days craving a big malty beast like a stout. That's the beauty of the current diversity in beer. We are very lucky to have a top shelf selection available locally across the whole spectrum.

If I was going to recommend anyone a sour to start off with it would be Colonial South West Sour. It's dryhopped and lightly soured, the epitome of that super refreshing, thirst quenching beer you drink a 6 pack of at the beach or BBQ etc.

Sours and goses can take a bit of warming up to. There's a definite palate shift. Some days it's all I want, other days I just need a big hop explosion and then I have days craving a big malty beast like a stout. That's the beauty of the current diversity in beer. We are very lucky to have a top shelf selection available locally across the whole spectrum.

If I was going to recommend anyone a sour to start off with it would be Colonial South West Sour. It's dryhopped and lightly soured, the epitome of that super refreshing, thirst quenching beer you drink a 6 pack of at the beach or BBQ etc.

I read an article a few months back where the writer said its best to not say you don't like a certain type of beer, but to say you haven't tasted a particularly well made type. I did have the Sailor's Grave gose a while back and found it quite nice, but I'm unsure as to how genuine a flavour that one was. I'm yet to taste a porter or a sour I like. I got the Acid Head sour by Hop Nation and ended up tipping it down the sink. :$ Will try the Colonial though just coz I like tasting new beers.

Tasted a few at Scarborough Cellars on Saturday and ended up going home with a growler of Rocky Ridge's Peach Invasion. Did not disappoint!

Nice. I'm yet to taste a NEIPA I don't like and am gonna grab a squealer of this on my way home from my localish. Can't wait to crack it.

Picked up these little beauties at aldi
3b9d6247e5622fce3b78a4e41660b1a7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cellarbrations had run out of the Peach Invasion keg so picked up a bottle, it was okay. Went to Mane afterwards and grabbed a squealer of Blackman's Brewing Juicy Banger IPL - simply glorious.

Here's the description:

DSC_0091.JPG

Get onto the new Moon Dog Thunder Lips if you can find it

And grabbed a bottle of this whilst I was there too. You're not wrong, pretty *en awesome. Much prefer this over the Devilslide and pretty much on par with the Gage Roads Red Rye IPA.

Okay it's better than Gage Rd's Red Rye.

Wow.
Moon Dog are great. They get a bit silly at times with their recipe ideas but when they hit the mark it’s hit lace out

I’m a sucker for anything yuzu after going to Japan and eating all the ramen

Moon Dog are great. They get a bit silly at times with their recipe ideas but when they hit the mark it’s hit lace out

I’m a sucker for anything yuzu after going to Japan and eating all the ramen

It was delicious, one of the best beers I've had lately. Which I've had a lot of and probably should take a break for a few days at least.

So nuts to the few days off - having to drive passed a great craft beer shop on my way home from work everyday certainly isn't helping my wallet and liver.

Nonetheless just grabbed the Pirate Life Pilsner which was actually pretty good. Picked up the Dainton Blood Orange Rye NEIPA too but will have that later.

So nuts to the few days off - having to drive passed a great craft beer shop on my way home from work everyday certainly isn't helping my wallet and liver.

Nonetheless just grabbed the Pirate Life Pilsner which was actually pretty good. Picked up the Dainton Blood Orange Rye NEIPA too but will have that later.
i heard the Benderbrau is pretty decent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a brewery, very hit and miss. Some of their stuff is great but others shouldn't have even made it to the canning process (Dainton's is about 15 mins from my place).

Highly recommend Mr Banks if you can get it. Would be the best brewery on the Mornington Peninsula (especially their NEIPA and IIPA), closely followed by the Mornington Peninsula Brewery (especially for their limited run stuff such as Netherworld (Sour Brown - think Grand Cru) and Brain Squeeze (Sour), not so much their standard range).

As a brewery, very hit and miss. Some of their stuff is great but others shouldn't have even made it to the canning process (Dainton's is about 15 mins from my place).

Highly recommend Mr Banks if you can get it. Would be the best brewery on the Mornington Peninsula (especially their NEIPA and IIPA), closely followed by the Mornington Peninsula Brewery (especially for their limited run stuff such as Netherworld (Sour Brown - think Grand Cru) and Brain Squeeze (Sour), not so much their standard range).
I rate Mornington brewery’s standard range. Their pale is one of my favourite basic easy drinking beers and their ipa is decent too. I like how unpretentious they are. Where’s Mr Banks? Might pop in some time

I rate Mornington brewery’s standard range. Their pale is one of my favourite basic easy drinking beers and their ipa is decent too. I like how unpretentious they are. Where’s Mr Banks? Might pop in some time
Yeah, it's a great Pale, don't mind their Brown either.

Mr Banks is off Hartnett Drive in Seaford, he's recently opened a new tasting room and usually has 10 of his beers on with a couple of rotating taps for other local beers he likes - http://www.mrbanksbrewing.com.au/cellar-door/. Free pool table, basketball ring etc. Great spot.

Tried a couple of the Hop Nation beers tonight. Headed down to Thirsty Camel in Maddington as they have taps there to check out how they do. Picked up a can of Jedi Juice and a squealer of The Chop. Impressed with both of them.

Gotta say I love the NEIPA's at the moment.

Tried a couple of the Hop Nation beers tonight. Headed down to Thirsty Camel in Maddington as they have taps there to check out how they do. Picked up a can of Jedi Juice and a squealer of The Chop. Impressed with both of them.

Gotta say I love the NEIPA's at the moment.

Brewed a NEIPA at Billabong recently. Not as good as the PL mosaic replica but just so moreish.

Overall I find the brewed beers at billabong as far better than anything I buy at a liquor store. So fresh, even if it is a different flavour/style.

What’s billabong? One of those brew your own at a commercial brewery arrangements ?

Yep. Follow the recipe to brew 50l of some beer that is supposedly similar to a commercial beer. Go back 2 weeks later and bottle it. Costs $28-35 a carton.

It tastes different, but I much prefer it over all beers that you can buy at the shop (except for the really expensive good stuff). I find it much nicer than the craft beers you can get for $60 a carton.

Yep. Follow the recipe to brew 50l of some beer that is supposedly similar to a commercial beer. Go back 2 weeks later and bottle it. Costs $28-35 a carton.

It tastes different, but I much prefer it over all beers that you can buy at the shop (except for the really expensive good stuff). I find it much nicer than the craft beers you can get for $60 a carton.
Yeh the ‘craft beers’ you can get for $60 a carton are usually rubbish beers with some attempted trendy graphic design.

$28 a carton is not far off what it would cost to make it yourself at home so that’s not not too bad. But you don’t get the satisfaction of looking after it

At 375ml per beer one carton is 9L...so about 5 and a half cartons is the minimum? So what does it cost then - about $150-$200? Including bottles?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm interested if you can't tell.

Yeh the ‘craft beers’ you can get for $60 a carton are usually rubbish beers with some attempted trendy graphic design.

$28 a carton is not far off what it would cost to make it yourself at home so that’s not not too bad. But you don’t get the satisfaction of looking after it

It's a good option if you don't want the responsibility of brewing it yourself. I find the hardest party being finding the time to brew and bottle, but that's just probably because i have two small kids. Do it with a few other guys in the same situation.

At 375ml per beer one carton is 9L...so about 5 and a half cartons is the minimum? So what does it cost then - about $150-$200? Including bottles?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm interested if you can't tell.

They are 50L batches. So yeah it costs $140ish to $180ish or something. I can't remember exactly but around that. I remember calculating it as $35 a carton for the most expensive.

They sell bottles, forgot how much they are. You just need any lift-top bottles, so if you're interested then start buying cartons with lift-tops and save them. Or you could buy them cheap online probably.

It's good because they have a bar and pizza that you can use while you wait for some parts of the brewing process (which takes maybe 1.5 hours). And a big tv in the bottling bit (where you can drink as you bottle if you want).

Major downside is that it has to stay cold at all times, so you need fridgespace or to go in with mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back