The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I popped in to Otherside Brewing in Myaree for a pint last night. Cool venue. Close proximity to good dim sum, too.
Trying their IPA for the first time now. *en tasty drop.

Where in freo is there Brewery?

Wasn't too bad. Hop Hog was my favourite everyday warm weather beer until Nail VPA came along.
Yet to try biggie juice my self. My favourite is war hog but Nails VPA is also up there.

Trying other side ipa atm and by memory it seems like war hog and os ipa are two of the less bitter IPA’s I have tried.

It's ok, nothing special imo. Put it this way, I wouldn't buy it if I saw it in the bottle shop.
I feel like they are just very good at making well balanced beers in terms of malt-hop balance and also any use of wood. They aren’t mind blowingly innovative out there’s beers but I feel they’re super reliable.

The Da Vinci Pig I had recently and 2017 Tusk reaffirmed my faith in them

I feel like they are just very good at making well balanced beers in terms of malt-hop balance and also any use of wood. They aren’t mind blowingly innovative out there’s beers but I feel they’re super reliable.

The Da Vinci Pig I had recently and 2017 Tusk reaffirmed my faith in them
Haven't tried the Tusk but I did give the red ale a go. Wasn't what I was expecting but it wasn't too bad. Probably not something I'd try again, which I think is the issue (for me anyway) with a lot of their beers. Apart from Hop Hog they're not really beers I'd go out of my way to buy. They're not bad beers but they're not good enough for me to want to buy them unless I'm actually at Feral.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I popped in to Otherside Brewing in Myaree for a pint last night. Cool venue. Close proximity to good dim sum, too.
I was thinking about popping in today but looks like it wont happen ,will have to wait til im home next time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Is this normal?
You just got a little layer of sediment (yeast and residual protein matter) that probably solidified/rusted the can very slightly. Most craft beers will develop a thin layer at the bottom as it drops out of suspension during bottling, but I've seen normally amber IPAs that were almost black due to way too much sediment escaping the filtering process.

You just got a little layer of sediment (yeast and residual protein matter) that probably solidified/rusted the can very slightly. Most craft beers will develop a thin layer at the bottom as it drops out of suspension during bottling, but I've seen normally amber IPAs that were almost black due to way too much sediment escaping the filtering process.
Tbh I have never seen this before in a can. Purely because Colonial is the only Brewery that I have seen use this sort of can.

Yeah I come across sediment in beers before. Coopers sparkling ale is notoriously famous for it.

Tbh I have never seen this before in a can. Purely because Colonial is the only Brewery that I have seen use this sort of can.

Yeah I come across sediment in beers before. Coopers sparkling ale is notoriously famous for it.
I think I have had tangy sediment in just about every Coopers Pale Ale I've ever drunk.

I think I have had tangy sediment in just about every Coopers Pale Ale I've ever drunk.

Coopers are one of the few who bottle condition (fill bottle with flat beer plus sugar and allow the yeast to convert the sugar producing co2) rather than carbonating a batch in the bright tank and filling bottles with carbed beer.

The process of bottle conditioned co2 production causes waste which is the sediment.

Coopers are one of the few who bottle condition (fill bottle with flat beer plus sugar and allow the yeast to convert the sugar producing co2) rather than carbonating a batch in the bright tank and filling bottles with carbed beer.

The process of bottle conditioned co2 production causes waste which is the sediment.
Any reason why they do that?

Their porter is pretty nice btw if you're still giving darker beers a go

Their porter is pretty nice btw if you're still giving darker beers a go
I got one Porter left from the 6 pack i bought.

There were a couple darker beers i liked at Otherside when i was there.
One was the old english ale and the other one wasn't a stout because they ran out of it but.

DanWCE did they have the IPA on tap when you were there? They poured them out of the can for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back