The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BigBirdz

Club Legend
AFL Club
West Coast
I reckon exports changed a bit over the years. Seems a little lighter than it used to be?? Used to give me terrible hangovers when I drank it all the time about 10 or so years ago. Only been back to it in the last few years and it must have less preservatives in it?? Don’t get anywhere near the hangover these days.
I used to drink emu bitter:huh: back in the late 90s early 00s but my dad drank emu export and he reckons it's different.
I remember going to little creatures when it first opened and thinking they were wierd campaigners for putting oranges in beer :think::think::oops:

Now I love the stuff.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
How'd you go mate? I popped in Friday. Unfortunately they'd run out of the red creaming soda, but their Harvest red was the best batch I'd tasted and I rate it highly already. I think it has surpassed Nail red for me :eek:
Yeah good hey, it's a nice spot. I ended up just having the session ale while I was there but I got a cube of the ipa and and a 4 pack of the stout.
It's just a shame I had the company I did, my mates mrs has turned into a full blown psychopath.

DanWCE

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah good hey, it's a nice spot. I ended up just having the session ale while I was there but I got a cube of the ipa and and a 4 pack of the stout.
It's just a shame I had the company I did, my mates mrs has turned into a full blown psychopath.
Psychopath on the beers or just in general? Yeah it is a good little spot. If you see their Harvest in cans do yourself a favour!

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Psychopath on the beers or just in general? Yeah it is a good little spot. If you see their Harvest in cans do yourself a favour!
Just in general, it's a long story but as an example on the weekend she accused us of aiding sexual assualt because a stripper gave my mate a lap dance at his bucks night and she can't handle it.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Sounds like the life of the party!
Ahaha sounds like a basket case.
Yep, at the same time she looked my mates dad in the face (who is hosting the wedding at his place) and told him that she has lost all respect she ever had for him because he didn't stop the lap dance. So after the wedding I'll be cutting her out of my life. Probably means I'll also lose my mate but I don't need dangerous and poisonous people like that in my life anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Woah. What does your mate say about that?
He stood there looking at his feet not saying a word because he knows it's bullshit. It really is a very long story but basically he felt guilty for getting a lapdance, so he told her the next day. But for some reason he felt guilty enough to tell her but not guilty enough to tell her the actual truth. The story he told her he was that he was so drunk he could barely walk and that we force fed him beers all day to get him into that state. The reality is that he wasn't that drunk, it was a pretty sedate day/night actually, we played golf, had lunch and a couple of beers and then went back to a mates place for pizza and a few more beers. The stripper came really early in the night (7pm), left about 9.30 and he stayed up for another 3 or 4 hours after the stripper left drinking more beer.

avishka5

150 game legend.
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep, at the same time she looked my mates dad in the face (who is hosting the wedding at his place) and told him that she has lost all respect she ever had for him because he didn't stop the lap dance. So after the wedding I'll be cutting her out of my life. Probably means I'll also lose my mate but I don't need dangerous and poisonous people like that in my life anymore.
Shouldn't have let your mate get this far ;)

AFL Club
West Coast
I try all the different beers in Dan Murphy’s or the yuppie bars.. but always go back to good old bush chook emu export . Take the boy out of the bush. But still a country bogan

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
I try all the different beers in Dan Murphy’s or the yuppie bars.. but always go back to good old bush chook emu export . Take the boy out of the bush. But still a country bogan
Biggest difference (taste aside) that I find between a lot of craft beers and the mass produced beers is the hangover. If I drink 8 or 10 good quality craft beers I feel fine the next the day, but if I drink the same of something cheap and cheerful I'll feel like shit the next day. I think I read somewhere that it's the chemicals & preservatives they use in the mass produced beers that makes the hangover much worse.

MIKE85

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah preservatives play a big part in hangovers. You go to Europe and the countries that have the 4 ingredients beer laws (not sure they are actual laws for brewers, but that's what we got told at the time) Water, Hops yeast and Barley from memory, and you get nowhere near the hangover you'd get from say drinking 15-20 VBs. I think a lot of the "bogan" old school beers are heading away from preservatives these days too though. Even Export claims no preservatives, and like I said a few posts back, seems to give way less of a hangover than it did a decade ago.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah preservatives play a big part in hangovers. You go to Europe and the countries that have the 4 ingredients beer laws (not sure they are actual laws for brewers, but that's what we got told at the time) Water, Hops yeast and Barley from memory, and you get nowhere near the hangover you'd get from say drinking 15-20 VBs. I think a lot of the "bogan" old school beers are heading away from preservatives these days too though. Even Export claims no preservatives, and like I said a few posts back, seems to give way less of a hangover than it did a decade ago.
Also helps that Export's alcohol % has dropped significantly as well.

AFL Club
West Coast
The Reinheitsgebot, the purity law you're referring to, is basically just a marketing spiel these days. When it was enacted, it was designed to make sure brewers were only using barley, not wheat and rye, that the bakers needed and thus keeping the price of bread down. Well, everyone except the ruler of Bavaria, who had an exemption for wheat beer.

In reality, it has absolutely no bearing on the quality of the beer.

SloppyJoe

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Who would've thought drinking 15-20 beers would give you a hangover? :drunk:

AFL Club
West Coast
Biggest difference (taste aside) that I find between a lot of craft beers and the mass produced beers is the hangover. If I drink 8 or 10 good quality craft beers I feel fine the next the day, but if I drink the same of something cheap and cheerful I'll feel like shit the next day. I think I read somewhere that it's the chemicals & preservatives they use in the mass produced beers that makes the hangover much worse.
That’s true mate went to the mrs Christmas party at a winery last weekend and got stuck into the free craft beers on tap and felt not to bad next day. But a big night on the normal beers hits me hard next day. Bloody slow learner I am

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
That’s true mate went to the mrs Christmas party at a winery last weekend and got stuck into the free craft beers on tap and felt not to bad next day. But a big night on the normal beers hits me hard next day. Bloody slow learner I am
Yeah, it's just a shame they cost so much

Top Bottom