The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Apr 25, 2019
Odessa, Ukraine
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Thanks for all the recommendations: have written out a list, hopefully some more to add to it.

Any good Shiraz's going? Something full bodied, heavy, plummy/peppery? Gonna put my pinky up as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

El_ahrairah

Booze Bunny
Oct 12, 2010
Silver Rd Nanobrewery
AFL Club
West Coast

DanWCE

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
DanWCE whats this atomic beer project thing that keeps on popping up on my Facebook?

Is it out yet?
Yep. It's a series of experimental beers running parallel to their core range series which is essentially entry level craft for the uninitiated. They've got a new hop IPA out I think, and a IIPA.

DanWCE

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This is pretty gosh darned good. Had a couple the other night...wasn't game to try number 3 on a school night.
I had a 4 pack for last week's Thursday game. Pulled up surprisingly well! Wife pulled up horrendously after the B.I.G hunt though haha

Seadog

Premiership Player
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
Thanks for all the recommendations: have written out a list, hopefully some more to add to it.

Any good Shiraz's going? Something full bodied, heavy, plummy/peppery? Gonna put my pinky up as well.
Brown Hill winery makes some of the best red wines in Australia, you'll have to buy online or visit their winery in Rosa Brook (near Margs) but well worth the effort. Not cheap cheap ($25 -65) but amazing value, their Great Boulder Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec is a cracker as is the Perseverance Cab Sav, Merlot and the Fimiston Shiraz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 25, 2019
Odessa, Ukraine
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Liverpool
Sounds like you'll need a good butcher too!
If anyone lives NOR as I did, Acciaris on Main Street is our family butcher for yonks. Top butchers.. love them.
Can also add Farmer Jacks Jackadder for good supermarket meat. I've missed the overly abundant choice of cheap, fantastic quality meat. Australia is truly blessed with that s**t.. you only fully understand living years and years overseas.

Acciaris also do the best schnitzel rolls on Wed/Fri I memory serves.

Godfather32

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Brown Hill winery makes some of the best red wines in Australia, you'll have to buy online or visit their winery in Rosa Brook (near Margs) but well worth the effort. Not cheap cheap ($25 -65) but amazing value, their Great Boulder Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec is a cracker as is the Perseverance Cab Sav, Merlot and the Fimiston Shiraz.
All wine tastes like goon to me, too much fruity lexia in my school days.

DanWCE

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Just bought a six pack of Wilson Rough Seas pale, not a fan, don't even think I can drink the other 5*

*I might manage it
Can be hit and miss. Some consistency issues for sure. But I also would question how fast it's turning over on the shelf. Might be an old can.

I swear the tins I got very early on had diacetyl. It was about on par with my home brew, really. Getting a bang on fermentation schedule is so important for beer quality, as well as packaging and lab testing etc.

Feral, for instance, force age their beer to the best before date (applying heat etc) and then test it for quality to make sure it tastes as good 6-9 months on as fresh. And you have to applaud their consistency and quality. Owned by Coke or not I have a huge soft spot for them.

RookiePick

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 13, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Can be hit and miss. Some consistency issues for sure. But I also would question how fast it's turning over on the shelf. Might be an old can.

I swear the tins I got very early on had diacetyl. It was about on par with my home brew, really. Getting a bang on fermentation schedule is so important for beer quality, as well as packaging and lab testing etc.

Feral, for instance, force age their beer to the best before date (applying heat etc) and then test it for quality to make sure it tastes as good 6-9 months on as fresh. And you have to applaud their consistency and quality. Owned by Coke or not I have a huge soft spot for them.
THE QUALITY SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED. MAYBE THESE BIGGER COMPANIES ARE STARTING TO REALISE THAT ACQUIRING THESE SMALLER OUTFITS AND pi**ing ALL OVER THEM IS COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

HOPEFULLY THE BEANCOUNTERS STAY OUT OF IT

Moley27

Debutant
Sep 15, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Just bought a six pack of Wilson Rough Seas pale, not a fan, don't even think I can drink the other 5*

*I might manage it
Yeah it's a bit of a strange one, not a bad beer per se but sometimes it can taste almost salty. I would like to support Wilson but I can't say I really enjoy any of their beers.

Top Bottom