The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for all the recommendations: have written out a list, hopefully some more to add to it.

Any good Shiraz's going? Something full bodied, heavy, plummy/peppery? Gonna put my pinky up as well.
Brown Hill winery makes some of the best red wines in Australia, you'll have to buy online or visit their winery in Rosa Brook (near Margs) but well worth the effort. Not cheap cheap ($25 -65) but amazing value, their Great Boulder Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec is a cracker as is the Perseverance Cab Sav, Merlot and the Fimiston Shiraz.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like you'll need a good butcher too!

If anyone lives NOR as I did, Acciaris on Main Street is our family butcher for yonks. Top butchers.. love them.
Can also add Farmer Jacks Jackadder for good supermarket meat. I've missed the overly abundant choice of cheap, fantastic quality meat. Australia is truly blessed with that s**t.. you only fully understand living years and years overseas.

Acciaris also do the best schnitzel rolls on Wed/Fri I memory serves.

Brown Hill winery makes some of the best red wines in Australia, you'll have to buy online or visit their winery in Rosa Brook (near Margs) but well worth the effort. Not cheap cheap ($25 -65) but amazing value, their Great Boulder Shiraz, Cabernet, Merlot, Malbec is a cracker as is the Perseverance Cab Sav, Merlot and the Fimiston Shiraz.
All wine tastes like goon to me, too much fruity lexia in my school days.

Just bought a six pack of Wilson Rough Seas pale, not a fan, don't even think I can drink the other 5*

*I might manage it

Can be hit and miss. Some consistency issues for sure. But I also would question how fast it's turning over on the shelf. Might be an old can.

I swear the tins I got very early on had diacetyl. It was about on par with my home brew, really. Getting a bang on fermentation schedule is so important for beer quality, as well as packaging and lab testing etc.

Feral, for instance, force age their beer to the best before date (applying heat etc) and then test it for quality to make sure it tastes as good 6-9 months on as fresh. And you have to applaud their consistency and quality. Owned by Coke or not I have a huge soft spot for them.

Can be hit and miss. Some consistency issues for sure. But I also would question how fast it's turning over on the shelf. Might be an old can.

I swear the tins I got very early on had diacetyl. It was about on par with my home brew, really. Getting a bang on fermentation schedule is so important for beer quality, as well as packaging and lab testing etc.

Feral, for instance, force age their beer to the best before date (applying heat etc) and then test it for quality to make sure it tastes as good 6-9 months on as fresh. And you have to applaud their consistency and quality. Owned by Coke or not I have a huge soft spot for them.

THE QUALITY SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED. MAYBE THESE BIGGER COMPANIES ARE STARTING TO REALISE THAT ACQUIRING THESE SMALLER OUTFITS AND PISSING ALL OVER THEM IS COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

HOPEFULLY THE BEANCOUNTERS STAY OUT OF IT

Just bought a six pack of Wilson Rough Seas pale, not a fan, don't even think I can drink the other 5*

*I might manage it

Yeah it's a bit of a strange one, not a bad beer per se but sometimes it can taste almost salty. I would like to support Wilson but I can't say I really enjoy any of their beers.

THE QUALITY SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MAINTAINED. MAYBE THESE BIGGER COMPANIES ARE STARTING TO REALISE THAT ACQUIRING THESE SMALLER OUTFITS AND PISSING ALL OVER THEM IS COUNTERPRODUCTIVE.

HOPEFULLY THE BEANCOUNTERS STAY OUT OF IT

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?!

Old man yells at cloud neipa by Old Wives Ales is a tasty drop. ( plus it fits my age profile )
If you ever have the misfortune to be in Port Hedland pay a visit to North West Liquor, they have a really good craft beer selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back