The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Pirate life has gone to s**t lately.

In saying that i will be interested in their brewery opening up in the CBD next year and see if the quality is better.

I haven't bought anything of theirs in a while. Nothing new they've done has screamed out to me and there's better or newer examples of other styles to try instead of circling back to their core range.

I haven't bought anything of theirs in a while. Nothing new they've done has screamed out to me and there's better or newer examples of other styles to try instead of circling back to their core range.
The only time I have Pirate Life thsese days is at the Merrywell.

And the only time i go to the Merrywell is when I am with the missus (she likes the food), otherwise I go to the Blasta.

There was a time when Pirate Life were the most exotic beers at BWS and Liquorland etc but with the growth in craft beer popularity there's thankfully more of a selection at these places now.

Regardless their NZ Pale Ale is still one of my favourite beers.

The only time I have Pirate Life thsese days is at the Merrywell.

And the only time i go to the Merrywell is when I am with the missus (she likes the food), otherwise I go to the Blasta.

Merrywell is good if you've indulged in a night at Crown. We attempted to walk to Blasta from there with our baby in the pram and ran into one wildly unpredictable crack head so circled back to Merrywell. Bit of a shame. But I remember when Merrywell had zero craft beer so when they started stocking Torpedo cans in the fridge I was over the moon.

Merrywell is good if you've indulged in a night at Crown. We attempted to walk to Blasta from there with our baby in the pram and ran into one wildly unpredictable crack head so circled back to Merrywell. Bit of a shame. But I remember when Merrywell had zero craft beer so when they started stocking Torpedo cans in the fridge I was over the moon.
haven't been there in ages but I was surprised to see them not have much craft on tap. I've been to some 'Locals' that have had better selection.

I have been to The Camfield once and I can't remember if their own beer is that good or not.

haven't been there in ages but I was surprised to see them not have much craft on tap. I've been to some 'Locals' that have had better selection.

I have been to The Camfield once and I can't remember if their own beer is that good or not.

Daresay Crowns taps are all under long term contracts with the likes of CUB nationwide. Only chance of getting craft is for a CUB type to buy an independent.

Daresay Crowns taps are all under long term contracts with the likes of CUB nationwide. Only chance of getting craft is for a CUB type to buy an independent.
Yeah forgot about that.

I hate going into a nice looking place and seeing them have a s**t selection of beers.

Hi all. Laid off the beers lately but have started dreaming of the christmas break. Looking for recommendations. Preference is West Aussie brews such as Mash, Eagle Bay, Beerfarm, Boston, Nail etc but open to alternatives. Enjoy a Pale Ale (not too fruity) and the Lager resurgence. Suggestions wanted for a drop 4-5% so I can go the distance on the day.

Hi all. Laid off the beers lately but have started dreaming of the christmas break. Looking for recommendations. Preference is West Aussie brews such as Mash, Eagle Bay, Beerfarm, Boston, Nail etc but open to alternatives. Enjoy a Pale Ale (not too fruity) and the Lager resurgence. Suggestions wanted for a drop 4-5% so I can go the distance on the day.
Likewise, have been off the beers as well and looking for something good for Christmas

Can confirm Camfield beers are pure garbage. Better off drinking swan draught when you’re there

Likewise, have been off the beers as well and looking for something good for Christmas
One of my go to WA beers is Beer Farm IPL. Absolute rock solid beer. Always have it in my fridge. Eagle Bay have just released an IPL which is core range now. It’s very good too. Slightly different to beer farm though. If you like them fruitier and hoppier then stick with beer farm, if you’re leaning more towards a lager without actually being a straight up lager then go the eagle bay. Nails newest release of their pale ale is very good too. They are on their fourth release and fourth different hop profile. I believe the one that gets the best reception will make it into a core range pale. So it’s a fun beer to be buying while they are experimenting with different hop varieties. Also think rocky ridge is doing epic things. Their session and baby peach neipa (4%ish I think) is super cheap at some places ($45 a cube at mane and Freo doctor from memory)

Garage Project White Mischief is the perfect Xmas day beer if you don't mind a sour. It's a gosè so has the briney, salty element to it, plus the addition of white peaches. And 2.9%. Super refreshing and crushable without getting sideways.

As for a lager fridge filler, Feral Draught or Cheeky Monkey lager are spot on, or for a bit more flavour Colonial Draught is an amazing Kolsch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thoroughly concur with the Beerfarm IPL and Cheeky Monkey Aussie Lager.

For non-WA great summer beers you can't go wrong with Balter Pils, XPA and Captain Sensible. Their beers have really grown on me, nothing super special just solid drinking. Captain Sensible is one of the best lower alcohol beers I've had.

Garage Project White Mischief is the perfect Xmas day beer if you don't mind a sour. It's a gosè so has the briney, salty element to it, plus the addition of white peaches. And 2.9%. Super refreshing and crushable without getting sideways.

As for a lager fridge filler, Feral Draught or Cheeky Monkey lager are spot on, or for a bit more flavour Colonial Draught is an amazing Kolsch.
Feral Draught is so cheap, have been using it to fill my fridge for when me 'export' mates come over...

ANother cheapie is Hawkers Rover. Eastern States beer. It's $55 a case, sits at 4.3% or thereabouts, and drinks like a lighter flavoured stone and wood pacific ale. Really good beer for such a cheap price. Also a good fridge filler

One of my recent favourites when looking for a sensible ABV is Mash's Indian Ale, its a very sessionable 4.4% and packed full of hoppy glavour

Feral Draught is so cheap, have been using it to fill my fridge for when me 'export' mates come over...

ANother cheapie is Hawkers Rover. Eastern States beer. It's $55 a case, sits at 4.3% or thereabouts, and drinks like a lighter flavoured stone and wood pacific ale. Really good beer for such a cheap price. Also a good fridge filler
I second the Hawkers Rover

p

I worry the quality will be worse when made in mass production. PL is horrible these days which is ashame.

I don't drink PL often but guys like Feral have managed to retain their consistency. PL were only a heavy hop brewer anyway. It's arguably the easiest style to master and their popularity was equally driven by successful marketing.

Yep. But it doesn't bother me. I never really thought much of Balter. When everyone was raving over their XPA I sought it out on tap at Percy Flints and was really underwhelmed. A while later they released their IIPA and that too was pretty tame.

Your Captain Sensible purchases now line the pockets of CUB but that hasn't stopped me buying Feral as my most regular fridge filler. I guess I'm good beer first, Indi second. Plus once I stopped buying 10-20 new single beers every shop and started grabbing 6ers or cubes instead Feral became appealing again.

I don't drink PL often but guys like Feral have managed to retain their consistency.
Maybe I am just becoming more tolerant of higher prices for craft beer, but I love a Feral brew and about the only thing I've noticed since they sold is that their great beer is cheaper (at least comparatively).

Yep. But it doesn't bother me. I never really thought much of Balter. When everyone was raving over their XPA I sought it out on tap at Percy Flints and was really underwhelmed. A while later they released their IIPA and that too was pretty tame.

Your Captain Sensible purchases now line the pockets of CUB but that hasn't stopped me buying Feral as my most regular fridge filler. I guess I'm good beer first, Indi second. Plus once I stopped buying 10-20 new single beers every shop and started grabbing 6ers or cubes instead Feral became appealing again.

And that's fair enough too, but I like to have a bit of a balance between saving money and principals. Big business is ******* the planet over, putting profits before people and the environment. Sometimes it's nice to know that the money I'm spending is going into a local's pocket, but it's not sustainable as a regular drinker either.

Maybe I am just becoming more tolerant of higher prices for craft beer, but I love a Feral brew and about the only thing I've noticed since they sold is that their great beer is cheaper (at least comparatively).

Agreed. Cubes of Biggie around $60 is pretty common and it's one of the most popular beers going I reckon. It's been my tip for the hottest 100s #1 since it got packaged, but I don't know how much they've sent over East.

And that's fair enough too, but I like to have a bit of a balance between saving money and principals. Big business is ******* the planet over, putting profits before people and the environment. Sometimes it's nice to know that the money I'm spending is going into a local's pocket, but it's not sustainable as a regular drinker either.

No doubt man. Nail is probably the biggest loser from me in that regard as I'll try to visit the venues of the places I like for food and beers. But VPA is probably the most frequent beer I buy, followed by a handful of Ferals range, so they do okay from my pocket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back