The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You are a mine of drinking info, I was up in Gero earlier in the week and went to the liquor store you recommended, as you indicated they have a pretty good range of crafties .

Usually I wouldn't be convinced that was a good thing, but as the owner of a beer blog I'm going to take it as a compliment! 😉

And yes the Gero bottlo does some great stuff and owned by a nice bloke too.

Expect the doors of RWT to open in Spring, mate. It's looking awesome in there. Bare bones with a very impressive production setup, but some minor fitout to follow before they finish it off next Winter.

You blokes are obviously not going far and wide enough in the drinking department, the boozers thread being relegated to the 2nd page.
Just had a bang on lunch at Madalenas on South Terrace, first time I've been back since the lockdown and it's still the best seafood joint around, if anything upped their game and if you are a seafood fan and feel like something outside of the usual dyed salmon type offerings you should give it a whirl. They have a pretty solid wine list as well with plenty of small vineyard offerings.
On the beer front I've been enjoying the Beerfarm Royal Haze, tried it on tap and out of the can and while lacking a bit of wow it's a nice enough beer.

You blokes are obviously not going far and wide enough in the drinking department, the boozers thread being relegated to the 2nd page.
Just had a bang on lunch at Madalenas on South Terrace, first time I've been back since the lockdown and it's still the best seafood joint around, if anything upped their game and if you are a seafood fan and feel like something outside of the usual dyed salmon type offerings you should give it a whirl. They have a pretty solid wine list as well with plenty of small vineyard offerings.
On the beer front I've been enjoying the Beerfarm Royal Haze, tried it on tap and out of the can and while lacking a bit of wow it's a nice enough beer.

I'm so long overdue to get to Madalenas for some seafood and a pet nat. Too hard with the little one, not a good toddler spot. When we can find a few hours without him it'll be on for sure!

New and good not always same same. For me it doesn't sound that good on paper, and it's very hard to infuse oak in a beer with so much hop character without it oxidising.
BFH = 😍
Biggie = 😍

But never the two shall mix.

New and good not always same same. For me it doesn't sound that good on paper, and it's very hard to infuse oak in a beer with so much hop character without it oxidising.
BFH = 😍
Biggie = 😍

But never the two shall mix.
I hadn't had Biggie Juice in a while and picked up a cube last week (10 July). It was canned on 26 June and my god it was so good.
I didn't really find the oak on the Dirty Biggie all that prominent tbh.

Also not really a fan of Biggie either. The market is saturated with better offerings of the style.

Sitting here drinking the Dirty Biggie, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I had it at Dutch Trading Company compared to a standard biggie on tap (I tried 16 beers that night so my taste was a little overawelmed by the end of it.

Really damn good but can't tell the difference to a standard biggie but better than other biggie's due to how fresh in the can it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sitting here drinking the Dirty Biggie, I couldn't tell much of a difference when I had it at Dutch Trading Company compared to a standard biggie on tap (I tried 16 beers that night so my taste was a little overawelmed by the end of it.

Really damn good but can't tell the difference to a standard biggie but better than other biggie's due to how fresh in the can it is.

Oooof, I reckon the last time I had 16 beers at DTC was for their Tropical Darkness event in winter. I was NOT sober. Some ******* big beers were consumed that night.

I'd prefer Hop Nation's Jedi Juice, or Old Wives Old Man Yells at Cloud. But each to their own :moustache:

I wouldn't consider either as readily available as Biggie juice when in WA. Feral basically pioneered mass quantity NEIPA that holds up in packaging. Have seen plenty of brown, oxidised JJ from the early days.

We are spoilt for choice now, though. We have genuine hazy beers that stand up to the American stuff being produced locally.

I really like Colonials version as well. But when I look at it beyond simply what is the one hazy Id like to be drinking (OMYAC is up there), I'm impressed that Feral continue to churn out a very high quality beer in Biggie juice, that you can find in a lot of fridges these days, and you can pick up for $60-65/cube where others would happily charge around $100 for a similar quality product.

I wouldn't consider either as readily available as Biggie juice when in WA. Feral basically pioneered mass quantity NEIPA that holds up in packaging. Have seen plenty of brown, oxidised JJ from the early days.

We are spoilt for choice now, though. We have genuine hazy beers that stand up to the American stuff being produced locally.

I really like Colonials version as well. But when I look at it beyond simply what is the one hazy Id like to be drinking (OMYAC is up there), I'm impressed that Feral continue to churn out a very high quality beer in Biggie juice, that you can find in a lot of fridges these days, and you can pick up for $60-65/cube where others would happily charge around $100 for a similar quality product.
OMYAC is a nice beer but the price/taste trade off is worth it with Biggies. Not usually a fan of Pirate Life beers but bought a 4 pack of Cashmere yesterday, $18 for 7% IPAs seemed like it was worth a shot, might indulge watching the footy tonight

OMYAC is a nice beer but the price/taste trade off is worth it with Biggies. Not usually a fan of Pirate Life beers but bought a 4 pack of Cashmere yesterday, $18 for 7% IPAs seemed like it was worth a shot, might indulge watching the footy tonight

Please report back on the PL. I don't buy their beer any more either, nothing about them is exciting for me. But if they've come up with something good here I'll give it a go. In fact I'm probably overdue to give their IIPA a run just to see how it compares to the good old days.

I didn't mind the dirty biggie at all and enjoyed the beerfarm hazy. On a different note, the otherside pastry stout was tasty and the cheeky russian imperial stout will knock ya out.

Please report back on the PL. I don't buy their beer any more either, nothing about them is exciting for me. But if they've come up with something good here I'll give it a go. In fact I'm probably overdue to give their IIPA a run just to see how it compares to the good old days.
Just had the one cashmere last night, easily distinguishable as a PL beer but I didn't mind it, for a 7% beer it wasn't punching you in the face like some of their beers. One of their better offerings, dunno if I'd buy them again though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back