The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
I was huge on it a few years back but kids put an end to getting bottles in form the states etc.

What's floating your boat?
Found a lot of great ones but my top 5 favs so far are in order, I really like caramel and toffee notes.; (I made tasting note for all of them. Lol)
I hear you re kids...My disposable income has taken a massive dive but I wouldn't have it any other way. Love those little turd bags to pieces!!!
You had any of these mate?

1596797418229.png

1596797456008.png

1596797485118.png

1596798227192.png

1596797564542.png

Last edited:

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Found a lot of great ones but my top 5 favs so far are in order, I really like caramel and toffee notes.; (I made tasting note for all of them. Lol)
I hear you re kids...My disposable income has taken a massive dive but I wouldn't have it any other way. Love those little turd bags to pieces!!!
You had any of these mate?

View attachment 929939
Looks like something that they drink at the Richmond footy club.

Nah I tried to get into Bourbon and scotch this year. Haven't really explored past the 60 buck price point yet. Buffolo trace is tasty tho

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Looks like something that they drink at the Richmond footy club.

Nah I tried to get into Bourbon and scotch this year. Haven't really explored past the 60 buck price point yet. Buffolo trace is tasty tho
60% Chol. Has a massive....Kick.

Go the Elijah - It's $80 but if you like Buffalo I recon you love this.

The elijah used to be a 12 year age stated whiskey. Cracking juice from Heaven Hill. Haven't tried the more recent editions.

Blantons in the beige label or higher have been great in my experience.

Not hot on the willet. Is that the pot still one?

No idea about the michters. I have a couple of the 16 year gold foils stashed away but I think the whiskies are only associated by the label name these days.

I like most of the "big Beams" you would hardly pick them as relatives to the white label!

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
The elijah used to be a 12 year age stated whiskey. Cracking juice from Heaven Hill. Haven't tried the more recent editions.

Blantons in the beige label or higher have been great in my experience.

Not hot on the willet. Is that the pot still one?

No idea about the michters. I have a couple of the 16 year gold foils stashed away but I think the whiskies are only associated by the label name these days.

I like most of the "big Beams" you would hardly pick them as relatives to the white label!
Are we related...Hammer, nail, head!!
Elijah still made by Heaven Hill, just a delicious as always.
Blantons - I've only had the Beige up, never the green so I can't speak for it. What I've had is amazing.

Pot still is correct, closer to Elijah in flavour with a bit of Knob at the end. (not just for lols that comment)

As you're obviously a learned man in the ways of American Whisky, give my cheaper Michters a bash. You'll love it. Agreed re Beam. I ******* hate it, could believe when I found out my favs are relatives. - When you crack the 16yr olds, please invite me around for a tipple. I'd love it.

Give Knob Single a go too. OMG Caramel, smooth and fire.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Grabbed cube of Nail VPA on the way home. Kinda wish it was Biggie Juice right now. Doesn't have a whole lot going on other than bitter IMO.

Hmm. Is it old? I'd say VPA is low on bitterness and very well rounded by hop aromatics. Drinking from can or glass?

I bought a cube of BJ last night 🥰

Are we related...Hammer, nail, head!!
Elijah still made by Heaven Hill, just a delicious as always.
Blantons - I've only had the Beige up, never the green so I can't speak for it. What I've had is amazing.

Pot still is correct, closer to Elijah in flavour with a bit of Knob at the end. (not just for lols that comment)

As you're obviously a learned man in the ways of American Whisky, give my cheaper Michters a bash. You'll love it. Agreed re Beam. I ******* hate it, could believe when I found out my favs are relatives. - When you crack the 16yr olds, please invite me around for a tipple. I'd love it.

Give Knob Single a go too. OMG Caramel, smooth and fire.
If you like caramel notes the Woodford Reserve double oak has always done me right.

If you like Heaven Hill they have multiple entry level labels floating around. I usually have a bottle of the Kentucky gold floating around. It's fine for sipping over ice or when you feel like a (shock, horror) mixed drink or have visitors who only drink bourbon and coke. I hate pouring good sipping whiskey into cola.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Who here is a fan of American Whisky/Bourbon?
Built up a fair collection of late...With tasting notes and ratings.
Yep I'm a whisky fan pretty much all American scotch Irish Japanese Aussie.

As for American ATM I have the Woodford double oak , WT rye and hochstadter's slow and low which is a flavoured rye that makes a really good old fashioned.

Perfect time of year for sipping

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep I'm a whisky fan pretty much all American scotch Irish Japanese Aussie.

As for American ATM I have the Woodford double oak , WT rye and hochstadter's slow and low which is a flavoured rye that makes a really good old fashioned.

Perfect time of year for sipping
I'm drinking Woodfood double oak as I type this! - Yep, Caramel and strong berry for mine. RookiePick
Hochstadter's slow and low i use for Lumberjack cocktails...Perfect!

Yum Yum!!!
1596872074444.png

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I bought a can of The Dawn by Hop nation last night. I'm yet to try but has anyone tried it yet and is it any good?

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I'm drinking Woodfood double oak as I type this! - Yep, Caramel and strong berry for mine. RookiePick

Yum Yum!!!
View attachment 930600
Woodford double oak is very smooth. Buffalo Trace highly under rated, Elijah Craig highly over rated. Four Roses single barrel is probably my fave. Once upon a time it was the same price as Jim Beam white label in Perth. Haven't seen a bottle in WA in years. Last one was in Melbourne about 2 years ago. Cheers.

Feb 12, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Woodford double oak is very smooth. Buffalo Trace highly under rated, Elijah Craig highly over rated. Four Roses single barrel is probably my fave. Once upon a time it was the same price as Jim Beam white label in Perth. Haven't seen a bottle in WA in years. Last one was in Melbourne about 2 years ago. Cheers.
I actually really like Elijah. 4 Roses SB I found at Copper and Oak about 5 months ago. Really nice but just out of my top 5. Same price as JBWL - WTF!! No way!

Into The Black

All Australian
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
I actually really like Elijah. 4 Roses SB I found at Copper and Oak about 5 months ago. Really nice but just out of my top 5. Same price as JBWL - WTF!! No way!
Yes mate , same price, about $20 in a little bottle shop on Wellington street about 30 years ago. Girlfriend was grabbing a bottle of Jimmy for a Friday night twosome at mine, no Jimmy so she grabbed something the same price, happened to be 4 roses. You did say you like caramel flavours, so understandable on the Elijah. Enjoy responsibly :tearsofjoy:

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Yum Yum!!!
View attachment 930600
Its a quality drop that's for sure . Some people say it's too woody but a don't think so. I really love the Woodford rye also . Probably the best rye I have tasted apart from Archie rose

UseR2006

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
For tonight it'll either be Beer - Kaiju Krush Pale Ale or I might pour some Laphroaig 10 undecided as yet.

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Not much wine talk in here but I snagged a bottle of 2013 Mt Mary Quintet today. Should be absolutely marvellous.

In terms of whisky, has anyone tried the Glendronach 12yo? Lots of great reviews/awards but I haven't spoken to any average drinkers who have given it a go.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Not much wine talk in here but I snagged a bottle of 2013 Mt Mary Quintet today. Should be absolutely marvellous.

In terms of whisky, has anyone tried the Glendronach 12yo? Lots of great reviews/awards but I haven't spoken to any average drinkers who have given it a go.
Yep if you love sherry cask scotch that is a great bottle and the glenfarclus 15 too.

The glendronach 12 is probably the best sherry cask you can get for $100 .

But sherry cask is not to everyone's taste . I love them but they are a lot sweeter with those dark/dried fruity notes.

The glengrant 10 is probably the best single malt under $70 IMO . Its not a sherry cask but just so smooth , balanced and delicious and leaves a lot of the more expensive scotch for dead .

Last edited:

beatlesmith

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2006
Roberts Rd
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Cavs, West Perth
Yep if you love sherry cask scotch that is a great bottle and the glenfarclus 15 too.

The glendronach 12 is probably the best sherry cask you can get for $100 .

But sherry cask is not to everyone's taste . I love them but they are a lot sweeter with those dark/dried fruity notes.

The glengrant 10 is probably the best single malt under $70 IMO . Its not a sherry cask but just so smooth , balanced and delicious and leaves a lot of the more expensive scotch for dead .
Thanks - you've convinced me!

I'm getting through bottles of Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength, Lagavulin 16 and Glenmorangie 10. The Glendronach sounds like a nice change of pace.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Thanks - you've convinced me!

I'm getting through bottles of Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength, Lagavulin 16 and Glenmorangie 10. The Glendronach sounds like a nice change of pace.
The 105 that's the high % one ? Is it good

I have the glenfarclus 15 and at 46% it is very smooth .

The lagavulin 16 is a beauty .

Never had the glenmorangie. How do you rate it ?

Back