The Bar - Beer, Wine & Spirits Discussion Thread

There's a new cheese shop (yes I'm aware of how wanky that is) in my neighbourhood, decided to pop in and some Guinness cheddar caught my eye. Grabbed a chunk and thought I better balance it out with some VPAs.

Disappointed that there's no updates of the intraclub in the preseason thread to top it off.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
I’m cracking into some Balter Hazys while watching the tennis. See ya on the other side :drunk:

Dude it's a good beer!

I just grabbed a 4 pack of their new Cryo WCIPA off some recommendations here. Loving the West Coast at the moment. Found another Innate so that ended up in my bag of goodies too!

Seadog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2004
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth, West Ham
I’m cracking into some Balter Hazys while watching the tennis. See ya on the other side :drunk:
The Balter hazys are $19 a pack at Dans at the moment and Royal Haze is $20, not my favorite beers of all time but too good to walk past at that price.

I just grabbed a 4 pack of their new Cryo WCIPA off some recommendations here. Loving the West Coast at the moment. Found another Innate so that ended up in my bag of goodies too!

Thoughts on the Cryomofo? Thought it was a solid beer myself.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I like drinking beer but not a nerd like you guys. Is Mosaic what Pirate Life uses?

I like drinking beer but not a nerd like you guys. Is Mosaic what Pirate Life uses?

They had a dedicated Mosaic beer, yes. But it's just a hop variety that's used in many beers, and DanWCE seems to have the same kind of reaction to it that some people have to coriander.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

It's a hop used by almost all breweries who dabble in anything from a pale ale and beyond. Widely available and falsely marketed, in my opinion.

PL do a single hop beer which is their Mosaic IPA. People lost their jocks over it back when they were hyping anything PL. Not sure how many people genuinely enjoyed it, or would enjoy it upon revisiting.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
They had a dedicated Mosaic beer, yes. But it's just a hop variety that's used in many beers, and DanWCE seems to have the same kind of reaction to it that some people have to coriander.
What makes their beers so bitter? Like their PA can be bitter than some IPA's I've drunk

It's a hop used by almost all breweries who dabble in anything from a pale ale and beyond. Widely available and falsely marketed, in my opinion.

PL do a single hop beer which is their Mosaic IPA. People lost their jocks over it back when they were hyping anything PL. Not sure how many people genuinely enjoyed it, or would enjoy it upon revisiting.

I just searched Mosaic vs me in this thread - as I remembered it, was bog average from PL.

What makes their beers so bitter? Like their PA can be bitter than some IPA's I've drunk

It's just individual marketing from different breweries I think. I'm the same, had some PA that have been stupidly bitter vs some IPA's that have been quite mild.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Their PA is definitely harsh by today's standards. I also think the malt bill is well on the English pale ale side. I don't remember this always being a problem. Last few times I've had it on tap it's been quite puckering.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Anyone tried Kings Road IPA? Can't remember who was hyping it. I expected absolutely nothing, particularly after that God awful Shelter brewing XPA I recently had, but damn it ain't bad!

I've gotta get out there for a few beers. The set up looks pretty cool.

THE A5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
I just searched Mosaic vs me in this thread - as I remembered it, was bog average from PL.

It's just individual marketing from different breweries I think. I'm the same, had some PA that have been stupidly bitter vs some IPA's that have been quite mild.
Their PA is definitely harsh by today's standards. I also think the malt bill is well on the English pale ale side. I don't remember this always being a problem. Last few times I've had it on tap it's been quite puckering.
Honestly I don't like PL that much. I have their South Coast Ale cause they do cheap jugs at the fed and It's not terrible for those kinda beers

Mar 1, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Anyone tried Kings Road IPA? Can't remember who was hyping it. I expected absolutely nothing, particularly after that God awful Shelter brewing XPA I recently had, but damn it ain't bad!

I've gotta get out there for a few beers. The set up looks pretty cool.
I had one of those a couple of months ago and thoguht it was a good drop, particularly for a local brewery I had never heard of. I may have mentioned it on here. I too would like to get out there!

Back