Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Batman is back for a fifth or maybe sixth reset of the character in non-animated feature length film. Starring as the title character is Robert Pattinson who was in The Lighthouse and High Life. It won't be part of the ongoing DC Extended Universe. This decision may have been influenced by the fact Robert Pattinson looks much younger than Ben Affleck.

Pure West.

In cinemas October 2021.

Last edited:

DC need to get their s**t together and start afresh with one focused 'universe'.

Robbie and Gadot would seem to be the two most worth keeping from what I've seen (I haven't watched many of the films after the dumpster fire that was BvS). Can't really think of anybody else who has cemented their spot based on merit. Though I'd be all behind seeing cameos from Courtney as Boomerang outside of SS movies too.

Hopefully Pattinson does Batman justice, I'm cautiously optimistic.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
DC need to get their sh*t together and start afresh with one focused 'universe'.

Robbie and Gadot would seem to be the two most worth keeping from what I've seen (I haven't watched many of the films after the dumpster fire that was BvS). Can't really think of anybody else who has cemented their spot based on merit. Though I'd be all behind seeing cameos from Courtney as Boomerang outside of SS movies too.

I assume you haven’t seen Aquaman?

DC need to get their sh*t together and start afresh with one focused 'universe'.

In the end does it really matter? All these movies get rebooted every decade, sometimes much less.

Assuming the global pandemic doesnt destroy the industry, all these movies are bound to be rebooted in the 2030s.

This is actually not a bad trailer, in fact if the The Dark Knight Trilogy never existed, there would be a lot to be excited about. I am biased.

Not against Pattinson, but the quality of The Dark Knight Trilogy.

Its like Terminator 2 for me, Im sure it will be rebooted but its the gold stamp of Sci-Fi movies and almost impossible to beat.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
It doesn't look like a particularly new angle that would get me excited enough to want to watch it. I'd be more interested in an older batman movie with Ben Affleck. Older characters are cool when it's part of the story rather than actors trying to hide their age.

But I suppose a young Batman could be an interesting story too. Although in the trailer he appears to be established superhero already.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
The most promising thing for me is the director Matt Reeves and cinematographer Greig Fraser. Along with a solid ensemble, it sets a good base, albeit serious tone. More promising than Schumacher/Snyder anyway. Next-gen Nolan type thing with a whiff of things like Crow and Jack Reacher which helps separate Batman out from the super crowd slightly.

The vibe from the trailer feels a bit miniseries-ish, which honestly might be the better option if it wasn't such a tentpole staple. Also gives off the vibe that this is a Begins movie for many standalone projects, namely Riddler/Penguin/Catwoman. Normally I'd say that is too stuffed, but some of them might be glorified cameos. Bit of recognition that Justice League doesn't quite have the cache but the public has some familiarity with various personages in the Bruce Wayne world. Maybe a Joker vs Riddler superhit type thing down the track, whilst a young Gordon TV series could also get going. Put the universe where the audience might come.

I don't know anything about the production so could be way wrong, just my sense from the trailer and credits.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Dark Knight Trilogy will always be the gold standard to measure the quality of a comic-book movie adaptation.

While I may watch The Batman 2021, I cant imagine going to the cinema wanting to see this. Mind you thats assuming we can.
Disagree, I only found Begins to be a Batman film ...Bale was terrible in the other two films

at least with this one they have the tone right with the gothic noir theme

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
It doesn't look like a particularly new angle that would get me excited enough to want to watch it. I'd be more interested in an older batman movie with Ben Affleck. Older characters are cool when it's part of the story rather than actors trying to hide their age.

But I suppose a young Batman could be an interesting story too. Although in the trailer he appears to be established superhero already.
Batman being an actual detective and investigation and solving a serial killer/ Gotham corruption on film isn’t a new angle?

ok then

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree, I only found Begins to be a Batman film ...Bale was terrible in the other two films

at least with this one they have the tone right with the gothic noir theme

Rubbish.

The Dark Knight, is the best comic book movie adaptation of all time.

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Rubbish.

The Dark Knight, is the best comic book movie adaptation of all time.
Disagree
Great story line , but Bale and Nolan dropped the ball after Begins, we went from an angry Batman working in the shadows attacking his foes using fear to a Batman that confronted everyone head on. Not to mention Batman throat cancer voice that Bale suddenly felt the need to do in the next two films.

one of Nolan biggest weakness is that he couldn’t film a decent fight scene to save his life, as much as I likes the story I felt everything else let it down a lot for me personally.

To me it’s in the top 10 of superhero films but it’s not the best imo...too many flaws And I feel people overate it due to the story and Ledger performance.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Disagree
Great story line , but Bale and Nolan dropped the ball after Begins, we went from an angry Batman working in the shadows attacking his foes using fear to a Batman that confronted everyone head on.

I preferred the ninja batman too. Plus the fight choreography was terrible in all three films.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

It’s set in year 2 of his career. So not exactly an origin story, whilst he’s not exactly fully established either if that makes sense. My understanding is it commences at around the 18 month mark.

It’s set in year 2 of his career. So not exactly an origin story, whilst he’s not exactly fully established either if that makes sense. My understanding is it commences at around the 18 month mark.

Probably saving the origin story when they reboot the franchise in the 2030s. :drunk:

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Probably saving the origin story when they reboot the franchise in the 2030s. :drunk:

I understand the cynicism. These are well known characters anyway so don’t always need to incorporate the backstory. I enjoyed the Marvel approach to Spider-Man in incorporating him mid way through Civil War, without having to show/explain why he is who he is.

I understand the cynicism. These are well known characters anyway so don’t always need to incorporate the backstory. I enjoyed the Marvel approach to Spider-Man in incorporating him mid way through Civil War, without having to show/explain why he is who he is.

While it is cynicism, I dont blame Hollywood one bit. In fact I applaud them if they can make money out of it.

Even if they did an origin story of Batman in the 2030s thats like going to be nearly 30 years since Batman Begins, the key demographics for movies is the 18-49 year old market, so naturally it makes sense for them to do it if they can make money out of it.

Almost all movie franchises that has made money in the past has been rebooted. It makes sense. I dont like it personally, but I can appreciate why they are doing it.

The teaser music and 'Something in the Way' (which sound similar) by Nirvana are great.

Really matches the tone they're going for.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nolan's Batman was too realistic (and by no means a bad thing).

I think with Reeve's being Halloween-y, it'll be a bit more chaotic and embrace more of a comic book feel. Especially with Penguin/Riddler running around.

Loved that opening scene in the trailer, does give the Se7en vibe and then just walking through the crime scene.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back