Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nolan’s batman trilogy was 2 okay Batman movies with an awesome Joker movie in the middle.
Given the joker is a batman character and one doesn’t work without the other you’d have been better served to say he made a good origin story, a great crime movie and a mediocre third act.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees
Given the joker is a batman character and one doesn’t work without the other you’d have been better served to say he made a good origin story, a great crime movie and a mediocre third act.

I totally understand why some would label The Dark Knight Rises as mediocre. For me it obviously didn’t reach the heights of the previous two. Still had many redeeming qualities and an as expected thumping Zimmer score. However I think the scope was too ambitious and led itself to not quite deliver to the same extent.

Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I totally understand why some would label The Dark Knight Rises as mediocre. For me it obviously didn’t reach the heights of the previous two. Still had many redeeming qualities and an as expected thumping Zimmer score. However I think the scope was too ambitious and led itself to not quite deliver to the same extent.
I think Dark Knight Rises holds up really well on repeat viewings. If I had to pick 1 to watch today it would probably be that one.

Unlike The Dark Knight. Over the years I’ve thought less of it. It’s still the best of the 3 but only because of Ledger.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Are they? Doesn’t seem too spoilery

It was still a lot of old scenes just with a few dynamic scenes between Selena & Bruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A major addition for me seemed to be the confirmation of a court of owls style event in this film. Riddler seems intent on exposing the Wayne’s involvement.

Overall though, the three trailers have been brilliant and I don’t need to see anything more. Am ready for the film itself. Day one, I’m there.

A major addition for me seemed to be the confirmation of a court of owls style event in this film. Riddler seems intent on exposing the Wayne’s involvement.

Overall though, the three trailers have been brilliant and I don’t need to see anything more. Am ready for the film itself. Day one, I’m there.

Also seemed to confirm Riddler knows Batmans idendity. Us diehards can put 2 and 2 together from that trailer but hopefully im wrong. Also being 3 months out they have do at least one more trailer. Are they gonna do BVS and show the whole film?

Anyway Kravitz appears to have killed it as Selina.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Also seemed to confirm Riddler knows Batmans idendity. Us diehards can put 2 and 2 together from that trailer but hopefully im wrong. Also being 3 months out they have do at least one more trailer. Are they gonna do BVS and show the whole film?

Anyway Kravitz appears to have killed it as Selina.

Definitely. She looks great.

Am hoping that’s it for the trailers. There’ll be the usual TV spots etc (which I never watch anyway), and yes that BvS trailer was a ridiculous choice back in 2015. March 4th is the release date, so a little over 2 months to go. I’d see it today if I could.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Is this another affleck one? The return of micheal keaton? Or a crossover bat girl and robin?

and why is the trailer so black?

im so effing confused.

Robert Pattinson is Batman. The Affleck/Keaton return you refer to is in the upcoming Flash film. This one is entirely separate.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
The villains were all featured in the trailer. Riddler primarily, Catwoman was also there and a very quick glimpse at Cobblepot. An almost unrecognisable Colin Farrell.

I saw the preview during Spiderman yesterday and this actually looks awesome - did I see Zsasz (spelling?) in there?

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I saw the preview during Spiderman yesterday and this actually looks awesome - did I see Zsasz (spelling?) in there?

Not that I’m aware of, anything is possible however. It’s building towards a new trilogy so am expecting others to perhaps be referenced/mentioned etc for later films.

1640742149151.png

Unpopular opinion here......I'm reigning in my hype for this movie after the latest trailer.

I really hope they aren't cramming too much in. Thought this was meant to be a younger Batman but it seems it's going to repeat some of the same beats as the other versions.

Trailer felt tonally less noir than the others too. I know they've said repeatedly that this isn't connected to the DCEU, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in a post credits scene.

Could be wrong but I'm sure he's the most capped comic book hero in film. I know there's corporate interest at play but wish like Spider-Man they would let a bit more time pass.

I'll enjoy it for what it is, and it it will be great. Don't think think is going to be a world beating film though. Hope I'm wrong.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think they can just do a lot more with Batman to change to tone and even genre of the film. If you look at what we’ve got in the past 30ish years with Batman (Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck) they’re all extremely different and adress different things. This certainly looks to have some of the Bale elements (grounded, gritty, crime drama) and if this film (or potential trilogy) if even half as good as that then we’ve got a real winner.
Spider-Man can’t shift that much with the character and that’s a big part of the reason the Garfield ones never got a trilogy (and is much maligned).

I think they can just do a lot more with Batman to change to tone and even genre of the film. If you look at what we’ve got in the past 30ish years with Batman (Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale, Affleck) they’re all extremely different and adress different things. This certainly looks to have some of the Bale elements (grounded, gritty, crime drama) and if this film (or potential trilogy) if even half as good as that then we’ve got a real winner.
Spider-Man can’t shift that much with the character and that’s a big part of the reason the Garfield ones never got a trilogy (and is much maligned).

I know I'm judging a lot off of one trailer but (purely IMO) I don't think we need to see another Nolan-esque Batman. I was keen on seeing a far more unhinged early days Bruce Wayne/Batman film...but doesn't seem like this will be the case.

Right on with Spider-Man, he's a fun but not overly deep character, and know corporate reasons are why the films are made. No Way Home was amazing, but if they take out the elements they leveraged to make that film great, not sure they could have made a solid self contained film. Far From Home showed that IMO.

Just to clarify, I've gone from "holy s**t....this will be the most true comic book movie ever made" to "this will still be a fun couple of hours".

Mighty Eagles

Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
I totally understand why some would label The Dark Knight Rises as mediocre. For me it obviously didn’t reach the heights of the previous two.

However I think the scope was too ambitious and led itself to not quite deliver to the same extent.

This.

Yep, agreed. Personally, I think Batman Begins is vastly underrated. It's the only one which sets up and explains the origins of Batman, and they execute it brilliantly, in my opinion.

There was just some things which didn't feel right with TDKR to me. Why eight years between the storyline of TDK and TDKR? Things like Alfred walking out. Yes, a lot love the final scene, but Alfred just wouldn't walk out on Batman. And Bane putting BW in the 'jail' and keeping Gotham hostage for months just opens itself up for the inevitable.

Last edited:

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
This.

Yep, agreed. Personally, I think Batman Begins is vastly underrated. It's the only one which sets up and explains the origins of Batman, and they execute it brilliantly, in my opion.

There was just some things which didn't feel right with TDKR to me. Why eight years between the storyline of TDK and TDKR? Things like Alfred walking out. Yes, a lot love the final scene, but Alfred just wouldn't walk out on Batman. And Bane putting BW in the 'jail' and keeping Gotham hostage for months just opens itself up for the enviable.

Batman Begins still the pinnacle for me. I’ve never seen such an example of Year One being brought on screen. It’s magnificent.

Agree with your comments re: TDKR. It has many redeeming features, and also some considerable flaws. A key one for me that I found quite jarring was the change from Chicago to NYC as Gotham. I can’t quite recall Nolan’s explanation for why he did that. In Begins and TDK, the backdrop of a seedy, rotting Gotham was fantastic. Almost a character in itself.

The shooting locations of Chicago and its skyline etc I felt really captured that well, the move to NYC felt much more generic and seen many times before. Sounds like a minor criticism and I understand if others don’t agree. To me it lost some it’s character and I have been reminded of the importance of depicting this correctly given how well the trailers for The Batman have depicted this cesspool of a city (to quote Riddler).

Batman Begins is still my best comic book movie of all time. No other one has stood the test of time like that one has for me. I love the rest of the trilogy also though.

No way home made me love Spider-man almost as much as I love Batman but im not sure if they movie will have the same the same depth that Begins does for me but there is alot of little moments in it that I love already so I can see myself re-watching it alot in the years to come.

Back