Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not even really RP criticism - yeah I think he played a really poor BW but that wasn't because of his acting, it was the role itself. But I definitely see your point RE him growing into the BW persona.

Did you like the Catwoman get up? I suppose the rest of it was fine but the mask just seemed so pathetic. Not Zoe's fault of course but just added to the 'ehh' feeling I had about that character.
I personally loved every aspect of Zoes Catwoman. The costume made sense in the grounded real world that Reeves created. Pfieffer is peak Catwoman for me but her whole deal would have been ridiculous in this.
Will 100% watch it again. Wasn't bad, just didn't quite live up to the expectations I had going in.

What was everyone's thoughts on the casting for the Riddler?
Dano was perfect. I think your general criticism more comes down to being more a comicy style fan iver the uber gritty nature of this one. It’s fair and your criticism is fair and considered… except the Zoe one, that’s just wrong brotha 🧐

I’ll also add that I feel the major issues of this film are felt in its closing half hour. It genuinely felt like the movie was coming to a natural end after Riddler is arrested. The flooding etc seemingly came out of nowhere and felt a bit jarring in the context of the established story up until then.

I’m of the view though that it wasn’t the original choice and was quite possibly an adjustment made due to the shutdowns experienced through various Covid lockdowns etc.

Structurally however, in terms of performances, directing, musical score and cinematography, it’s comprehensively one of best made films in that aspect that I’ve seen. Almost flawless in that respect.

As for Paul Dano, I thought he was brilliant too. Have you seen Prisoners? That stayed with me a for a long time. He was genuinely unsettling in that film.
The flooding was certainly random. I meant to ask that, is it well known that Gotham can flood? I've never come across that before.

I really hated the musical score. Like hated it. Just think they added sound in for the sake of it. That youtube clip that you posted previously is the perfect example. They've got this random sound chiming before the batmobile fires. Eerie silence there would have been so much more suspenseful.

Na haven't seen it. I don't think he was bad, think I just prefer a different Riddler. Wouldn't have fit with the vibe of the movie but Corey Michael-Smith's Riddler is perfect imo.

I personally loved every aspect of Zoes Catwoman. The costume made sense in the grounded real world that Reeves created. Pfieffer is peak Catwoman for me but her whole deal would have been ridiculous in this.

Dano was perfect. I think your general criticism more comes down to being more a comicy style fan iver the uber gritty nature of this one. It’s fair and your criticism is fair and considered… except the Zoe one, that’s just wrong brotha 🧐
The grounded real world part is valid, I did think she'd still have a more advanced mask all the same.

Yep, that's absolutely fair. Like the black eye makeup...ehhh. Just don't think it was necessary but it does fit the style of movie.

The flooding was certainly random. I meant to ask that, is it well known that Gotham can flood? I've never come across that before.
Gotham is usually accepted as being a substitue for NYC and Chicago, both citys near big bodys of water (and perhaps both on rivers?).

TDKR has a whole plot point about how blowing up the birdges and tunnels over water cut it off so based on previous iterations its not outrageous to think it would be prone to flooding.

In any event i think its not particularly helpful to compare it to other versions, Reeves went with something different.

Genuinely haven’t heard any criticism of the score or cinematography for this film as yet. Both were magnificent imo.

Greig Fraser is a Melbourne boy too. Shot some really big movies in the last 10 years but now his career is at the next level with The Batman and Dune.

Gotham is usually accepted as being a substitue for NYC and Chicago, both citys near big bodys of water (and perhaps both on rivers?).

TDKR has a whole plot point about how blowing up the birdges and tunnels over water cut it off so based on previous iterations its not outrageous to think it would be prone to flooding.

In any event i think its not particularly helpful to compare it to other versions, Reeves went with something different.

I think the issue people have is that it wasnt foreshadowed like it would normally be. I could be wrong but I dont think the sea walls were mentioned at all prior to the reveal of Riddlers plan but if they did people would prob complain that it was telegraphed.

I think the issue people have is that it wasnt foreshadowed like it would normally be. I could be wrong but I dont think the sea walls were mentioned at all prior to the reveal of Riddlers plan but if they did people would prob complain that it was telegraphed.
Ive only seen it the once but im positive there was a reference to them subtly. FWIW i didnt think it was a great ending but i also didnt think it was outrageously left field.

There’s a quick, passing reference to the Seawalls very early in the film when discussing the renewal fund. And what it’s utilised for. I only picked this up watching it again the other night with headphones on.

Ive only seen it the once but im positive there was a reference to them subtly. FWIW i didnt think it was a great ending but i also didnt think it was outrageously left field.

The only problem I have with the ending is some scenes/shots were dragged out. Im not sure what people wanted from the 3rd act.

Yes I read that. He might add to his Oscar tally next year with The Batman.

Didnt even know he won the oscar this year. Good for him.

There’s a quick, passing reference to the Seawalls very early in the film when discussing the renewal fund. And what it’s utilised for. I only picked this up watching it again the other night with headphones on.

There you go I missed even the 2nd time round haha. I think Reeves knew people would guess the ending if he drew attention to it anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem I have with the ending is some scenes/shots were dragged out. Im not sure what people wanted from the 3rd act.
Yeh i broadly agree with this. Sticking the landing with these sorts of films is really hard so im probably being lenient with it.

I certainly thought (and think i said at the time) i thought the film lost some steam once Dano had a coffee.

Yeh i broadly agree with this. Sticking the landing with these sorts of films is really hard so im probably being lenient with it.

I certainly thought (and think i said at the time) i thought the film lost some steam once Dano had a coffee.

Id argue 95% of movies dont stick the landing. I could go on an on about it but the worst ones is where they go with the copout ending of not having a resolution or leave it open ended coz they clearly dont know what to do. Some exceptions ofcourse but still thats my least fav.

I need to see it again to critique my original impressions and understand a couple things. But the first thing I thought when leaving, was that aside from saving the day in a flood (which he was late for anyway), it didn't feel like batman achieved anything?, maybe its because a friends description to me going in was a little off the mark of what to expect with a heavier focus on being the detective. But he didnt really solve anything without being handed the answer by another character, just chasing a ghost for over 2 hours, didn't save the girl, didn't work out who anyone was, accused the wrong person, villain handed themselves in and then subsequently told batman it wasn't over to prompt him to do something etc.

It was still a good movie in general though. agree that it was a little long and the bike scene was cringe imo.

I don't mind there being some basic (for lack of a better word) elements to batman like the car not being this super advanced machine, and the suit that was just essentially made to stop bullets as its the ''in development'' version of batman, it would be great if they make the improvements standout in sequels so we can see the evolution into a more traditional batman as he learns the best way to help gotham

The Batman achieved its goal. I loved seeing Batman inexperienced. The sarcastic humour of his entrances with the bad guys showing no fear. His car fit the part and something a beginner Batman would drive. The story line with Catwoman and the Penguin worked well.

Some people didn't like the detective style approach but again, this gave the movie depth. Learning the ropes and learning for the first time Batman had to be bigger, solve puzzles and investigate to find someone levels above what he has ever experienced before. This is a brave approach and it paid dividends. Nolan's Batman rushed him to perfection within one movie and by the end of the second one, they'd already run the well dry and had to seek new heights with a far fetched story line.

This Batman demonstration of a far from perfect Batman in a slow burn dark movie, watching Bruce and Batman grow is brilliant. It gives this franchise the opportunity to have a series of movies without trying to out do the previous ones action. They can grow a little bit each time. The choice to be unestablished, calling himself vengeance yet is another fine attention to detail, adding further to the inexperienced and newb image.

The Riddler was brilliant. The dark shadowy version was ultra realistic compared to the showman we are used to. The end with the subtle introduction of the Joker. The fact the Penguin is still operational. The Cat Woman operational. This smartly sets up many sequels with many dynamic villains operating at once.

Falts: the unexplained established relationship with Gordon appears to be a convenient plot point to keep the story moving. This I didn't like. Can't have viewers asking questions for no reason. Seemed odd to leave this out. For something that could have been explained in 5 minutes it seems odd to leave out in a movie 3 hours long. Pretty big decision considering there's a Bat signal and he is getting Batman into crime scenes and out of jail.

Overall: love it. Great Cast and Pattison made a great Batman. One of the best super hero movies ever made. I'd say easily on par with Dark Knight and the original Superman and Superman 2.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Started watching it

Lasted 38 minutes

The first 20 minutes was awesome, my interested tapered off in the next 18. I'll resume from the 20 minute mark tomorrow night to try and get into it more.

EDIT 24 hours later

I enjoyed it more when I was more awake to understand what was going on :p

Still don't think it was the perfect movie and The Dark Knight will always be my favourite (in fact if I was to order the Batman movies around, this would be BELOW the Nolan trilogy). I enjoyed the detective nature of the story, the presentation reminded me of Seven (as everyone else has already said) but the narration took me back to Sin City!

I thought some of the complaints about the soundtrack (well the main Batman "theme") being played throughout the film were a little over blown by people. That said the overall soundtrack was very hit and miss for me. Wouldn't say it's as iconic as other super hero films, yet it doesn't set the world on fire suspense wise either.

The Batmobile scene was alright, didn't really hit the spot until the conclusion though.

Some spotty cgi in parts as well which kinda took me out of the film (whinge whinge whinge I know).

I'm interested enough to buy the physical 4K version when it comes out at the end of May. But would I watch this multiple times a year ? I'm going to say NO. It's a good "once in a blue moon" type of movie, whereas when The Dark Knight came out - I saw it many times at the cinema, then when it was released in December of that year.... I basically watched it daily for over a month (I have form in this - hello I like to watch Hawthorn grand finals over and over and over again :p).

If/when this gets a sequel, I hope they give Bruce Wayne a better haircut!!!!

Last edited:
I need to see it again to critique my original impressions and understand a couple things. But the first thing I thought when leaving, was that aside from saving the day in a flood (which he was late for anyway), it didn't feel like batman achieved anything?, maybe its because a friends description to me going in was a little off the mark of what to expect with a heavier focus on being the detective. But he didnt really solve anything without being handed the answer by another character, just chasing a ghost for over 2 hours, didn't save the girl, didn't work out who anyone was, accused the wrong person, villain handed themselves in and then subsequently told batman it wasn't over to prompt him to do something etc.

It was still a good movie in general though. agree that it was a little long and the bike scene was cringe imo.

I don't mind there being some basic (for lack of a better word) elements to batman like the car not being this super advanced machine, and the suit that was just essentially made to stop bullets as its the ''in development'' version of batman, it would be great if they make the improvements standout in sequels so we can see the evolution into a more traditional batman as he learns the best way to help gotham
If Indy wasn’t in Raiders it’s argurable that nothing would have been any different either.

I think the point of this is he’s young and inexperienced and Riddler pushed him exactly where he wanted him to go, if r-Patz gets to helm 3-6 Batman flicks I expect we’ll see a development but a film can still be great if the protagonist isn’t terribly effective.

Zoe Kravitz has screen presence but she is tiny. She's barely over 5 feet at maybe 45kg yet we are expected to believe she can take down big guys.

Pattinson and Dano were spot on.
You can believe that R-Patz can fly and Dano can run a complicated terrorism plot but Zoe Kravitz beating up a dude is the bridge that’s too far. Right.

Zoe Kravitz has screen presence but she is tiny. She's barely over 5 feet at maybe 45kg yet we are expected to believe she can take down big guys.

Pattinson and Dano were spot on.

i always wonder how a person in stilletos can fight with accuracy and precision

Remove this Banner Ad

Back