Movie The Batman (2021) SPOILERS!

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't going to be another origin story is it? If it is it's getting to Spiderman territory, we don't need to see the Wayne's get gunned down in Crime Alley again.

Burton's Batman created this for the big screen, Nolan's Batman perfected it, I don't see any reason to revisit it again.

Who is the villain in this one? It would be good if they just picked one of the great comic stories and adapted as a standalone movie, from memory the Long Halloween was a good one, Hush was pretty good too - the Killing Joke wouldn't get up due to the content. Would be far better than trying to reboot the entire story again.

Its been said that The Long Halloween is an inspiration for the plot of this film. They tend not to do direct adaptations for the live action stuff or at least have not so far.

Reeves gives a great breakdown of what his ideas behind the film are here. Not spoilers but you may be able to peice some thing together but no more that what you can determine from the trailer. I have a feeling we wont see his parents murder in this one.

Wouldn't surprise me you know what they say "go woke,go broke"

Apparently the Wonder Woman sequel is going to be woke too I hope not because I really enjoyed the first film

Yep thats exactly the quote they used for Terminator Dark Fate, the new Ghostbusters and the new Oceans movie.

Im glad you mentioned Wonder Woman, the first one was absolutely great, really enjoyed it too. Yes I also felt the sequel is going in a woke direction as well.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
I reckon they should just give Batman a rest altogether. Talk about overkill FFS.

I never really got the massive popularity with this character anyway and surely with all the billions they have already spent on re-hash after re-hash after re-vive could they have not just created something new or perhaps even gone for something or someone less overused?

Talk about flogging a dead horse.

How do you not get the popularity of Batman? His story is about overcoming trauma, who can't emphasis with that.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
How do you not get the popularity of Batman? His story is about overcoming trauma, who can't emphasis with that.
So is every other superhero’s story tho.

* even the Joker & most other super villains have the same story.

Thing is Batman is just a normal guy who hates crime but is a rich mofo who can afford cool gadgets. Don’t get me wrong, he’s pretty cool but I much more empathize with Dirty Harry, Paul Kersey or Travis Bickle in the regard of being a dirt bag hating vigilante.

But the point of my previous post was that this character has been overused, done to death and saturated pop culture.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Pattinson's Beta Male Batman keeps a pair of tampons in his bat belt to help those in need, like Catwoman.

Its 2020 after all. Its not all about crime fighting.

And if fans don't like the movie they will get called all sorts of names.

Hollywood too worried about skin color/diversity then actually hiring talented actors/directors

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moorabool St

Debutant
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong

Hollywood too worried about skin color/diversity then actually hiring talented actors/directors
What minority group does Robert Pattinson land in?

Also, do yourself a favour and watch a few of his films post-Twilight; you might be surprised.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

Pattinson is a hell of an actor and Reeves an excellent filmmaker. Seriously don’t understand what is happening in this thread.

This thread... Jesus Christ.

We don’t know anything about the storyline yet and people are bitching cause it’s gonna be “woke”.

Grow up or will shut it down.

Good call. This woke rubbish is embarrassing.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
DC need to get their sh*t together and start afresh with one focused 'universe'.

Robbie and Gadot would seem to be the two most worth keeping from what I've seen (I haven't watched many of the films after the dumpster fire that was BvS). Can't really think of anybody else who has cemented their spot based on merit. Though I'd be all behind seeing cameos from Courtney as Boomerang outside of SS movies too.

Hopefully Pattinson does Batman justice, I'm cautiously optimistic.
Agree, Marvel have done it a lot better with their universe that allows them limitless storyline and interconnections to weave again and again. Prequels, sequels, new story arcs, theyve given themselves room to do anything.

DC keep rehashing their two money making heroes Batman and Superman. Id argue Batman has been well overdone now and another interpretation adds nothing, particularly since it will always be playing for second to TDK trilogy.

This one doesn't really excite me, but I think Batman is done, there's nothing new here.

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Agree, Marvel have done it a lot better with their universe that allows them limitless storyline and interconnections to weave again and again. Prequels, sequels, new story arcs, theyve given themselves room to do anything.

DC keep rehashing their two money making heroes Batman and Superman. Id argue Batman has been well overdone now and another interpretation adds nothing, particularly since it will always be playing for second to TDK trilogy.

This one doesn't really excite me, but I think Batman is done, there's nothing new here.
DC have the Joker they can expand on though and no one ever gets sick of him.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams

Whilst I understand the indifference towards another Batman film, this portion of your comment isn’t true. DC have branched away from their main tent poles in recent years. Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman and then the ‘DC Black’ concept film in Joker for example.

The latter two making more than a $1b at the box office. They’re hardly relying upon the same material, especially under Hamada’s direction. This pivot is working, and the future slate looks very promising. Black Adam and Flashpoint in particular.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Whilst I understand the indifference towards another Batman film, this portion of your comment isn’t true. DC have branched away from their main tent poles in recent years. Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman and then the ‘DC Black’ concept film in Joker for example.

The latter two making more than a $1b at the box office. They’re hardly relying upon the same material, especially under Hamada’s direction. This pivot is working, and the future slate looks very promising. Black Adam and Flashpoint in particular.
Fair to an extent, but if that's really their evolution why the need to revert back to Batman stand alone again? I love Batman, but if you go back over the last 50 years, TV series, Movies, the interpretation of Batman has been well and truly dripped dry.

Show me something new with characters that haven't seen much attention and expand on them (Marvel plan this much better), the franchise did not need another stand alone Batman interpretation.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fair to an extent, but if that's really their evolution why the need to revert back to Batman stand alone again? I love Batman, but if you go back over the last 50 years, TV series, Movies, the interpretation of Batman has been well and truly dripped dry.

Show me something new with characters that haven't seen much attention and expand on them (Marvel plan this much better), the franchise did not need another stand alone Batman interpretation.

The current upcoming slate of films (in various stages of production) are:

Wonder Woman 2
The Suicide Squad
The Batman
Black Adam
Shazam 2
Aquaman 2
Flashpoint

Again, only one of them is a Batman film.

In addition, the above list doesn’t include other projects being written (which may or may not come to fruition), such as Green Lantern Corp, New Gods, The Trench, Batgirl, The Amazonians, Supergirl, a third Wonder Woman and others that probably not worth mentioning given they’re unlikely to happen.

In terms of your comment “Show me something new with characters that haven't seen much attention and expand on them”, your answer lies therein above.

If anything, DC haven’t used Superman enough. It’s far from over-saturation, one of the consistent criticisms of the DCEU is their failure to do a Man of Steel sequel and instead relegated him to the side. They unfortunately don’t know how to handle the character.

And I for one wished he received the same treatment that Batman does. Sure, whether or not we “need” another Batman film is subjective. There’s been plenty of iterations of him, I for one have never been bored or tired in reading his 80 year history of interpretations and depictions.

The Batman absolutely looks different to any other film adaption, Reeves had from the get go with his version of Long Halloween/Zero Year in detective/noir setting.

No one is obligated to see a new Batman move. No one is compelled to pay their money for it.

And for context, only 25% of the movie has been shot. So that trailer is really only based on one quarter of the footage available.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The current upcoming slate of films (in various stages of production) are:

Wonder Woman 2
The Suicide Squad
The Batman
Black Adam
Shazam 2
Aquaman 2
Flashpoint

Again, only one of them is a Batman film.

In addition, the above list doesn’t include other projects being written (which may or may not come to fruition), such as Green Lantern Corp, New Gods, The Trench, Batgirl, The Amazonians, Supergirl, a third Wonder Woman and others that probably not worth mentioning given they’re unlikely to happen.

In terms of your comment “Show me something new with characters that haven't seen much attention and expand on them”, your answer lies therein above.

If anything, DC haven’t used Superman enough. It’s far from over-saturation, one of the consistent criticisms of the DCEU is their failure to do a Man of Steel sequel and instead relegated him to the side. They unfortunately don’t know how to handle the character.

And I for one wished he received the same treatment that Batman does. Sure, whether or not we “need” another Batman film is subjective. There’s been plenty of iterations of him, I for one have never been bored or tired in reading his 80 year history of interpretations and depictions.

The Batman absolutely looks different to any other film adaption, Reeves had from the get go with his version of Long Halloween/Zero Year in detective/noir setting.

No one is obligated to see a new Batman move. No one is compelled to pay their money for it.

And for context, only 25% of the movie has been shot. So that trailer is really only based on one quarter of the footage available.
Do you know if those DC character films be based in the same Universe like the Marvels or have their own individual box worlds separate from one another?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back