Liverpool

Thommo333

Senior List
Jan 6, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
This is a great idea for a top 20. I'll give you my top 20.

1. A Day In The Life
2. Norwegian Wood
3. Yesterday
4. While My Guitar gently weeps
5. Across the Universe
6. In My Life
7. Tomorrow Never Knows
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. Here Comes The Sun
10. Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
11. Eight Days A week
12. If I Fell
13. The Word
14. Taxman
15. With A Little Help From My Friends
16. The Long and Winding Road
17. I Saw Her Standing There
18. Two of Us
19. Oh! Darling
20. You're going to lose that girl

It's a tough top 20 to make, ridiculous amount of choice.

A Day in the Life is my favourite too. Most of the rest of mine are pretty obvious, Something would be right up there. I'm looking forward to the entire stadium singing Hey Jude in a few months, gonna be awesome. I like "I've got a feeling" too from the less obvious ones.

Agent13

Senior List
Sep 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a tough top 20 to make, ridiculous amount of choice.

A Day in the Life is my favourite too. Most of the rest of mine are pretty obvious, Something would be right up there. I'm looking forward to the entire stadium singing Hey Jude in a few months, gonna be awesome. I like "I've got a feeling" too from the less obvious ones.

Something was a single. I'm sure it would be very high on the list if it wasn't!

I often tend to have a couple of the less obvious at the top and that seems to be true on this occasion too.

A quick top ten would go something like this:

10. With a Little Help From My Friends
9. Nowhere Man
8. Here Comes the Sun
7. The Long and Winding Road
6. Rocky Raccoon
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4. I'm Only Sleeping
3. Across the Universe
2. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
1. A Day in the Life

Something was a single. I'm sure it would be very high on the list if it wasn't!

I often tend to have a couple of the less obvious at the top and that seems to be true on this occasion too.

A quick top ten would go something like this:

10. With a Little Help From My Friends
9. Nowhere Man
8. Here Comes the Sun
7. The Long and Winding Road
6. Rocky Raccoon
5. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
4. I'm Only Sleeping
3. Across the Universe
2. Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
1. A Day in the Life
Oh yeah I was talking favourite Beatles songs in general, had a brainfade there.

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
The Long and Winding Road (1970, Let It Be)

I prefer the Let It Be movie version of this song compared to the Let It Be album. I feel Phil Spector went a bit overboard with all the strings and orchestral arrangement. McCartney disliked the way Spector had added “too much Mantovani” to his simple ballad. The lyrical imagery was inspired by High Park, Paul’s farm in Scotland, which was regularly exposed to high winds and rain. John felt Paul might have been inspired by Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Another #1 single

(Log in to remove this ad.)

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
This was a #1 single
Another #1 single

I would refer you to the very first post in this thread in which I state that I am dealing only with songs which were not singles in Britain, which thus follows the discography The Beatles desired/intended. There are so many additional singles in so many other various countries, it was too time consuming to research all of them.

Zuma

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2010
long ago in the museum with his friends
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I would refer you to the very first post in this thread in which I state that I am dealing only with songs which were not singles in Britain, which thus follows the discography The Beatles desired/intended. There are so many additional singles in so many other various countries, it was too time consuming to research all of them.
sorry mate my bad, great thread

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
It ain't easy, but i'll have a crack at it!

Album tracks only, no A's or B sides.

1. A Day In The Life
2. She Said, She Said
3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
4. I'm Only Sleeping
5. You're Going To Lose That Girl
6. In My Life
7. Tomorrow Never Knows
8. Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
10. Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds
11. For No One
12. Back In The USSR
13. Glass Onion
14. And Your Bird Can Sing
15. Hey Bulldog
16. Across the Universe
17. I Saw Her Standing There
18. It Won't Be Long
19. Any Time At All
20. Drive My Car

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Cool thread. Would be worth thinking about embedding the Spotify link instead of Youtube vid as they're all on there

I have no experience with Spotify, I have never visited their site. You sound as though you do have some knowledge with Spotify so if you felt like it you would be welcome to include links to any of the non singles which Spotify currently has. It would certainly be better than having that wanky version of Michelle I included.

Here Comes The Sun (1969, Abbey Road)

A qualifier for George’s finest song writing effort with The Beatles. George wrote this in Eric Clapton’s garden as an expression of delight at being able to get away from the mundane business meetings which were then taking up so much of The Beatles’ time. “It was such a great release for me simply being out in the sun. The song just came to me.”

One thing that has become evident doing this list is the lack of original Beatles songs on YouTube. They used to have all the albums, but I guess some copyright problems arose.

a beautiful song

A Day in the Life (1967, Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band)

Probably no surprise to many Beatles fans that I ranked this at number one. There are many who consider it the band’s best track ever, which I feel is fitting as it contains lyrical and vocal contributions from both John and Paul. Certainly this song is grand competition for their greatest single of Strawberry Fields Forever/ Penny Lane, recorded during the same sessions. The “I’d love to turn you on” lyric, a sly marijuana reference, was quite risqué at the time. In fact, the song received a broadcasting ban for a while. But this was an era where songs such as “Let’s Spend the Night Together” (Rolling Stones), “Plastic Man” (The Kinks) and “Pinball Wizard” (The Who) also made the censors convulse.

John Lennon certainly received fair inspiration for the Sgt Pepper album by reading or by looking at artwork. Newspaper headlines inspired his lyrics for this song, a painting by Julian inspired Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and a circus poster gave him motivation for Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite. And his vocals in between Paul’s middle eight and the final verse are quite haunting. Watch the clip and you will see the Beatles liaising with Donavan, Marianne Faithfull, Mick Jagger, Keith Richard and Mike Nesmith.

a fabulous choice

definitely their best

While My Guitar Gently Weeps (1968, The Beatles)

From “A Hard Day’s Write”: George was reading the “I Ching”, the Chinese book of changes, and decided to apply its principles of chance to his song writing. At his parents’ Lancashire home, he picked a novel off the shelf with the intention of writing a song based on the first words that he came across. The words were ‘gently weeps’ and so George began to write.”

The White Album release features Eric Clapton on lead guitar, whilst an acoustic version was also recorded. I have put a clip of this version in here as the clip gives due focus to George.

there is something really special about this.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I used to hate the Beatles insanely. Still don't get the fawning but do respect just how contemporary their music still is... or maybe that's just an indictment on how much Tame Impala and current bands rip them off... I'm a sucker for histories and trajectories and the way they moved and evolved is both impressive for how quickly it happened, but also how neat and logical it is now they're no longer a current band.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
You would have to be tone deaf to not like the Beatles.
The notion there is a form of art that everyone has to like is just stupid shill thinking. They have some s**t songs but come on. Sometimes I like you as a poster but then you say something so pandering like this and it's like...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back