The Beatles in Adelaide - 50 years ago

Remove this Banner Ad

I was in high school in 1964, at one stage the Beatles had the top 6 songs on the Adelaide charts at the same time.
The two major radio stations then were 5AD and 5DN, and it wasn't uncommon for dj's to take another artist's record off half way through playing it, and replace it with a Beatle's record.
I didn't go into the city, but I was there when the crowd was 8 to 10 deep either side of Anzac highway when they were leaving to go to the airport - it was absolute chaos.

One for the car nuts, what is the car to the right of the black FJ in the december 1964 pic in Rundle street?

My guess is it's a Rambler ( which was one of the more popular yank tanks of the day ), it is clearly not a Chrysler royal, which had large rear fins, and I doubt it is a Pontiac, Ford customline, or Chev either, which were about the only other yank ( or yank inspired ) stuff around at the time.

One for the car nuts, what is the car to the right of the black FJ in the december 1964 pic in Rundle street?

My guess is it's a Rambler ( which was one of the more popular yank tanks of the day ), it is clearly not a Chrysler royal, which had large rear fins, and I doubt it is a Pontiac, Ford customline, or Chev either, which were about the only other yank ( or yank inspired ) stuff around at the time.

1962 Rambler Classic is the closest match I can find.

'62 rambler classic.jpg

Roo and Ditt's had John Pemberton on this morning, to talk about the visit.

They knew he had a pretty impressive Beatles memorabilia collection, and asked if there was any item in particular that was his favorite.....

He said yes, and that it was one of the microphones used in the Adelaide shows that he had been given!

What would that be worth!

I was in high school in 1964, at one stage the Beatles had the top 6 songs on the Adelaide charts at the same time.
The two major radio stations then were 5AD and 5DN, and it wasn't uncommon for dj's to take another artist's record off half way through playing it, and replace it with a Beatle's record.
I didn't go into the city, but I was there when the crowd was 8 to 10 deep either side of Anzac highway when they were leaving to go to the airport - it was absolute chaos.

5AD and 5KA were the 'pop' stations at the time while 5DN was a little more staid.

5AD had Big Bob - 5KA had Big "C" little h.. a..s (Chas) Lumsden.

It's a 1962 Rambler Ambassador wagon 1962 Rambler Ambassador 400 Cross Country 2S 6p 4d Station Wagon back.jpg ,250 bhp 327 V8, I think.

5AD and 5KA were the 'pop' stations at the time while 5DN was a little more staid.

5AD had Big Bob - 5KA had Big "C" little h.. a..s (Chas) Lumsden.

Agreed re 5DN being a little more staid than KA and AD, but they did have a rock n roll dj in the 60's, ( the bloke with the Elvis style haircut and sideburns ) but I can't think of his name.

I remember 5DN copping a fine because he played a Beatle's song ( Help? ) before it was officially released.

Edit - the 5DN rock dj's first name was Jim.

Last edited:
Agreed re 5DN being a little more staid than KA and AD, but they did have a rock n roll dj in the 60's, ( the bloke with the Elvis style haircut and sideburns ) but I can't think of his name.

I remember 5DN copping a fine because he played a Beatle's song ( Help? ) before it was officially released.

Edit - the 5DN rock dj's first name was Jim.

Maybe Slade...he was around in that era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was 7yo ... My dad and I were going into the city from the Port and gave a lift to a couple of guys hitching ... they were heading to near the airport to see the Beatles travel to town

Maybe Slade...he was around in that era.

What on earth are you talking about. Playing a record and then half way through replace it with
the Beatles version. That did not happen because this is the person you're talking about Jim Slade I now have a live stage show at the Norwood Hotel each month called Baby Boomers Rock Adelaide. IOf you'd like a monthly newsletter and flyer email me at jimslade@bigpond.com Have a look at my website www.babyboomersrockadelaide.com.au

What on earth are you talking about. Playing a record and then half way through replace it with

the Beatles version. That did not happen because this is the person you're talking about Jim Slade I now have a live stage show at the Norwood Hotel each month called Baby Boomers Rock Adelaide. IOf you'd like a monthly newsletter and flyer email me at jimslade@bigpond.com Have a look at my website www.babyboomersrockadelaide.com.au

That must have been the other mob then Jim, because I definitely heard it happen on a couple of occasions, the bloke used to say something along the lines of ` that's enough of that, let's play another Beatle's track! ' ;)
I also remember a bit of a fuss in (I think 1965 ), when an Adelaide DJ played a Beatle's track on air before it was released, do you recall that?

Now there's a fine blast from a golden past:)

I can hear the ghosts of big C little h..a..s Lumsden rumbling in the background or was that piddling:D

My family arrived in Australia on the boat that very month. I don't remember any Beatles hullabaloo though, so maybe we'd just missed it. We landed in Fremantle first of all and were taken by bus up to King's Park in Perth where there was a 21 gun salute! We thought it was a nice welcome to Australia, but it turned out to be for the Queen's Birthday.

Back on the boat and across the Bight to South Australia where the lovely Smithfield migrant hostel awaited. First memories of Aussie television were of Geof Motley's Glen Ewin Jam adverts, not Beatlemania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back