Unsolved The Beaumont Children

Remove this Banner Ad

EyeMedia

Debutant
Feb 6, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Munro chose male victims far older than the youngest Beaumont and groomed them earning trust over time, he was in a perfect position to do that as Scout Master. He didn't need to risk abducting three off-type children from a stable home where the cops would never stop looking for them.

I'm not defending Munro, he's just not a fit for it in my view.
It seems Anthony Munro and Allan 'Max' McIntyre are Andrew McIntyre's long-held pet theory about who the BC culprits are. Whether anyone else agrees with him, who knows. Police don't.

EyeMedia

Debutant
Feb 6, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
The more I read, the more Percy becomes the strongest (known) suspect IMO.
Finally solving the case would be nice, but it seems the chances of imprisoning anyone for the offence/s is becoming increasingly slim. Has the journalist and author Debi Marshall ever visited this forum with her views and opinions?

DropBearess

Senior List
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
For those wanting to explore the Percy theory a bit more, l have some local knowledge and experience which might make things interesting. We know Percy was in the area and we know his parents attended regattas etc in their caravan.

I was born and raised close to Glenelg beach and lived there through the 60s and beyond. We caught the bus from Henley Beach to Glenelg very frequently, or sometimes just walked there along the beach. Enroute was the West Beach Sailing Club, then a km or so away was the Caravan Park. After this there were expansive sand dunes which stretched for a km. The dunes were a big attraction as kids for rolling and sliding, but due to the isolation of the area at the time we weren't allowed there unaccompanied. It was a known haunt for "odd-bods" as everyone called them at the time. Kids could most certainly get into trouble there and not be noticed or heard. The dunes were accessible by road and you could park there, but most people chose other sections of the beach for swimming and accessibility. This area was a large, undeveloped expanse and is now the West Beach Resort and Adventure Park.

The bus we travelled on to Glenelg was the same private bus the children used. It went from Port Adelaide to Somerton Park. We alighted at Mosely St outside the bakery, then the bus would continue to the stop near the Beaumont home and beyond. On return we'd catch it across the road from the bakery. It would take us back along the coast, past the sand dunes, past the Caravan Park, past the Sailing Club, then home. From Jetty Road Glenelg to the Caravan Pk is 2.5kms. From the Caravan Pk to the Sailing Club is 1.3kms.

The West Beach Sailing Club was the biggest at the time and many prestigious regattas were held there. Many would stay at the caravan park. The "Club" at the time was a boozy affair where many parents left their kids to their own devices for an entire day while they did their thing.

In the 1970's, Adelaide embarked on a very large project called the Coastal Regeneration Project. Glenelg, West Beach and Henley Beach were losing considerable amounts of sand because wind and waves were sending sand from the south to the northern beaches. Subsequently, massive amounts of sand was transported from northern beaches to Glenelg and West Beach. The project continues to this day.

I'm useless with links, but to appreciate the magnitude of the changes to the landscape at Glenelg, just google "How Adelaide beaches stay in shape".

Sorry about all this raving, but could there be some dots to connect? Percy could have accessed a direct bus. He could have walked via the beach. He could have snuk the family car when his parents were occupied. He could have accessed a caravan. Maybe his parents used a holiday house between Glenelg and the Beaumont home? Plenty of possibilities.

Tues

Senior List
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you know if they had ever taken their pushbikes to beach prior to that day? I ask because percy was known to take his pushbike when he went on holidays. Could it be possible they wanted to take their pushbikes instead of the bus because of Jane's new boyfriend having a pushbike?
they were all given new bikes for Christmas so rode them to the beach as often as they could.

DropBearess

Senior List
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In relation to my recent post re Percy, l had completely forgotten about the remnants of many beach shacks in front of the sand dunes, spanning at lease 1 km. These gradually became unoccupied and abandoned until the local councils ordered them all to be demolished due to sand erosion in 1963. The owners and/or councils did this and discarded all the wood, then burnt it all on the beach. Very exciting for us kids at the time!

The only bits remaining of these shacks were the floors and the bearers, being too deep to remove. I can recall a young friend sliding down the dunes and ending up partly under the floor of one, around 1965. I've struggled to find any photos of the shacks, but this one shows them a couple of years before demolition. I am absolutely certain parts of the shacks were still there in 1970, when sand cartage began.

The shack remnants were searched by police when the children disappeared. They were apparently searched several times in following weeks. We need to bear in mind though, that there were no body-searching technologies available whatsoever. Easily another locale for Percy, if it was him. Thousands of tons of sand have been dumped there since then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-175454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-175454_Chrome.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 48

HK_Hawk

All Australian
Jun 18, 2011
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those wanting to explore the Percy theory a bit more, l have some local knowledge and experience which might make things interesting. We know Percy was in the area and we know his parents attended regattas etc in their caravan.

I was born and raised close to Glenelg beach and lived there through the 60s and beyond. We caught the bus from Henley Beach to Glenelg very frequently, or sometimes just walked there along the beach. Enroute was the West Beach Sailing Club, then a km or so away was the Caravan Park. After this there were expansive sand dunes which stretched for a km. The dunes were a big attraction as kids for rolling and sliding, but due to the isolation of the area at the time we weren't allowed there unaccompanied. It was a known haunt for "odd-bods" as everyone called them at the time. Kids could most certainly get into trouble there and not be noticed or heard. The dunes were accessible by road and you could park there, but most people chose other sections of the beach for swimming and accessibility. This area was a large, undeveloped expanse and is now the West Beach Resort and Adventure Park.

The bus we travelled on to Glenelg was the same private bus the children used. It went from Port Adelaide to Somerton Park. We alighted at Mosely St outside the bakery, then the bus would continue to the stop near the Beaumont home and beyond. On return we'd catch it across the road from the bakery. It would take us back along the coast, past the sand dunes, past the Caravan Park, past the Sailing Club, then home. From Jetty Road Glenelg to the Caravan Pk is 2.5kms. From the Caravan Pk to the Sailing Club is 1.3kms.

The West Beach Sailing Club was the biggest at the time and many prestigious regattas were held there. Many would stay at the caravan park. The "Club" at the time was a boozy affair where many parents left their kids to their own devices for an entire day while they did their thing.

In the 1970's, Adelaide embarked on a very large project called the Coastal Regeneration Project. Glenelg, West Beach and Henley Beach were losing considerable amounts of sand because wind and waves were sending sand from the south to the northern beaches. Subsequently, massive amounts of sand was transported from northern beaches to Glenelg and West Beach. The project continues to this day.

I'm useless with links, but to appreciate the magnitude of the changes to the landscape at Glenelg, just google "How Adelaide beaches stay in shape".

Sorry about all this raving, but could there be some dots to connect? Percy could have accessed a direct bus. He could have walked via the beach. He could have snuk the family car when his parents were occupied. He could have accessed a caravan. Maybe his parents used a holiday house between Glenelg and the Beaumont home? Plenty of possibilities.
I also like the idea of Percy. That said, do we have anything solid to put him there, besides his own admission to Ron Anderson he may have been there at the time? His brother Lachlan, from memory, also failed to recall clearly if the family was there at the time in question.

BonzaRam

All Australian
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth

Attachments

• percy glng 66.JPG
    percy glng 66.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 39

BonzaRam

All Australian
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
It is also mentioned in this news article,

" Was Percy in Adelaide? He told police he had been there on holiday but couldn't remember when. His brother confirmed they had been there. The mother of one of Percy's friends told police: "I can also recall that Derek travelled to Adelaide on holidays by plane on one occasion." "

johnymac1

Team Captain
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In 1966, Percy was still in High School. He would have certainly heard of the BC case.

It is a possibility he tried to copy the BC abductor. I would actually consider him a "CopyCat Killer".
Trying with single and multiple victims.

The BC Killer is said to be in his mid 20s, educated and possibly groomed his victims.

BonzaRam

All Australian
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
In 1966, Percy was still in High School. He would have certainly heard of the BC case.

It is a possibility he tried to copy the BC abductor. I would actually consider him a "CopyCat Killer".
Trying with single and multiple victims.

The BC Killer is said to be in his mid 20s, educated and possibly groomed his victims.
If we are to believe he committed the Wanda Beach Murders then he had already killed prior the BC case, with similar circumstances.

His intelligence is not in question, he had an IQ 122, his school grades only dropped when the snowdropping started.

He obviously had the ability to charm children easily to get them to do his bidding in such a short time. The crime that got him caught was the Tuohy Murder and it is the only case with a known use of force during the abduction stage, it could be that he used the force in order to try and get SS who was wielding a tomahawk to compile.

I would think that the comment about Jane having a new boyfriend could imply someone closer to her age... and would only require a couple of meetings, a few days in a row.

Everywhere he was shown to be children went missing (all beaches), or clothes stolen from lines near his homes etc, what is the probability of that happening to anyone? Especially someone who is close match to witness IDs in all cases, including the BC case. Discrepancies in age guessing is to be expected, many people don't look their age...

He had also already started his sketches and diary before any of the children disappeared so that IMO casts doubt on him being a copycat, his fantasies and MO were forming already. He had also already enticed two young girls into a caravan and abused them, the girls told their parents and his parents downplayed the incident, nothing was done about that.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DropBearess

Senior List
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Percy was 17.4 when the BC disappeared and had left school. He was 16.4 at the time of the Wanda Beach murders. One little known fact is that when he snow-dropped, he cut the crotch out of women's knickers in a certain way. One of the WB victims had their underwear/bathers cut in exactly the same way.

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Could a 17yo on his summer holidays pull this off on his own though?

Entice the children, do the deed, dispose of the bodies, no witnesses, no remains, nothing.
It just seems so improbable.

If Percy was responsible for the Wanda Beach murders, he almost completely buried two adult size females in the dunes. They had very similar injuries toi Yvonne Tuohy, as did Simon Brook.

Here's the Linda Stillwell Coroner's Findings where it's concluded that Percy was responsible for her murder, she's never been found.

These findings list the murders Percy is connected to and includes the Beaumont children. Noted that the Coroner formally records the kids as being seen for the last time with a one pound note at Wenzels. I'm still iffy about that but I'm not going to argue with the Coroner.

DropBearess

Senior List
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could a 17yo on his summer holidays pull this off on his own though?

Entice the children, do the deed, dispose of the bodies, no witnesses, no remains, nothing.
It just seems so improbable.

It does indeed sound improbable, but Percy was way beyond the realms of possibilities or probabilities. He was a one-off. He was never diagnosed with any mental illnesses. Many eminent psychologists studied him and were unable to pigeon-hole his behaviours. I've researched Percy quite a bit over the years and have been fascinated and repulsed at the same time.

I think he could've easily dealt with the BC on his own. After hunting down and killing two strong young women, the children would have been easy. In both crimes, one victim(s) would probably try to help the other(s), thus their vulnerability.

Linda Stillwell was never found. Perhaps Yvonne Touhy wouldn't have been either, had Percy not been caught. Sand is fairly easy to move by a determined person. Sniffer dogs and cadaver dogs weren't used afaik. If the BC Case happened today, l reckon Percy would have been nailed and their bodies found within days.

Many of Percy's writings described abducting more than one child and forcing the other(s) to watch him torture them. As pointed out, his IQ was 122. I think he was capable of anything.

newbie11

Debutant
Oct 24, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Did people normally get their license when they were 16 or 18 back in those days?
I’ve read a few stories from different people who grew up in the same time and they talk about being 16 and driving around with their friends..

Percy was certainly capable of potentially carrying out a crime such as the BC disappearance, there’s no doubt about it. It takes a very a rare, rare type of person who’s mind is even going to consider single- handedly attempting such a thing.. 3 is very different from 2.. but I do feel like the dynamics of the siblings relationship may have also played a part in this as-well; in theory, the offender may have only really needed to be in control of Jane, Jane was in control of the other 2..

If it was Percy, and if he didn’t have a car, what would of been the other forms of transportation available?
Were trams a thing in Glenelg during this time?
Could probably safely cross out Taxi’s from the list..
Bus , possible but in my opinion probably less likely because there being bus driver

johnymac1

Team Captain
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Percy was 17.4 when the BC disappeared and had left school. He was 16.4 at the time of the Wanda Beach murders. One little known fact is that when he snow-dropped, he cut the crotch out of women's knickers in a certain way. One of the WB victims had their underwear/bathers cut in exactly the same way.
Im confused now, the wiki page states he was still in year 11 and attempted Year 12 twice

BonzaRam

All Australian
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
Im confused now, the wiki page states he was still in year 11 and attempted Year 12 twice
He did year 11 twice in 1965 and 1966 (aged 16 and 17) and started year 12 but left (aged 18) he would have turned 18 in September 1966.

Last edited:

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Did people normally get their license when they were 16 or 18 back in those days?
I’ve read a few stories from different people who grew up in the same time and they talk about being 16 and driving around with their friends

In NSW anybody can get their Provisional License (Ps) at 17yo conditional on having held their Learners License for at least 12 months. Far as I know, it's always been that way. Not sure about the other states.

newbie11

Debutant
Oct 24, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
In NSW anybody can get their Provisional License (Ps) at 17yo conditional on having held their Learners License for at least 12 months. Far as I know, it's always been that way. Not sure about the other states.
16 in Victoria, must be 18 to get P’s ..only need to have L’s for 6months, 3 months if your over 25?I think. Must have 120 hours under your belt to transition irregardless

Kurve

Dec 27, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
16 in Victoria, must be 18 to get P’s ..only need to have L’s for 6months, 3 months if your over 25?I think. Must have 120 hours under your belt to transition irregardless

While Percy and his family didn't move to NSW until either just before or just after his 17th birthday, his grandmother who he and his family regularly visited, lived in Ryde NSW. Only 2.2kms from where the Wanda Beach victims lived.

It used to be quite common that if you were from Victoria for example and had a relative in NSW, you could use their address to get your license early and drive on a NSW license. If we were wondering if he was too young to legally drive when the Beaumont children vanished, he had a way around it.

Remove this Banner Ad