Unsolved The Beaumont Children

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is a blog article I wrote, in light of the second failed Castalloy dig. It examines the evidence of Harry Phipps’ involvement: https://somerandomstuff1.wordpress....ponsible-for-beaumont-children-disappearance/
A good summary but just a small but important point: "The Beaumont children also purchased 5 pasties, 6 finger buns and 2 large bottles of soft drink. The Beaumont parents believed that none of their children would be interested in eating a meat pie." This is incorrect - Mr Beaumont specifically told police/media that his son Grant didn't like pasties and only ate pies.

A good summary but just a small but important point: "The Beaumont children also purchased 5 pasties, 6 finger buns and 2 large bottles of soft drink. The Beaumont parents believed that none of their children would be interested in eating a meat pie." This is incorrect - Mr Beaumont specifically told police/media that his son Grant didn't like pasties and only ate pies.
Thanks for the info, I've updated it.

Correct - I've also read this somewhere in the thread and also where Mrs Beaumont asked Jane to bring her a pasty home for her as they were expected home at lunch time. So I think 4 items were for the kids (including 1 pie for Grant) and 1 for mum. This leaves one extra hot item, a pasty, that was possibly an extra for home or for an unknown person/perp.

Correct - I've also read this somewhere in the thread and also where Mrs Beaumont asked Jane to bring her a pasty home for her as they were expected home at lunch time. So I think 4 items were for the kids (including 1 pie for Grant) and 1 for mum. This leaves one extra hot item, a pasty, that was possibly an extra for home or for an unknown person/perp.

Mrs B didn't give them enough money for all those things + bus fare, did she?

Here is a blog article I wrote, in light of the second failed Castalloy dig. It examines the evidence of Harry Phipps’ involvement: https://somerandomstuff1.wordpress....ponsible-for-beaumont-children-disappearance/
Enjoyed it thanks.

I noticed an interesting ( to me) slip of the tongue.

The children went inside the house with his (Haydn’s) father and were there for some short time.

If they were inside for a short time it means they came out yet there is no mention of that

The father came out and continued to load stuff into his car and left. He (Haydn) then went inside the house and found the children not there and the front door was open.

Do I think Haydn saw the Beaumonts? I doubt it. He may have but like the 2 boys digging he may have transposed another visit by other children , maybe relatives or 'friends of'' . The front door idea could suggest the kids lived close and Harry said go home through the front door , expecting them to shut it, and as he drove away did not notice the front door.

Haydn initially told his second wife about the Harry Phipps- Beaumont link in a rather nonchalant manner. They were sitting at home and an item came on the TV about the Beaumont children. Haydn casually mentioned to his wife, “I always thought Harry had something to do with it.” This comment seems to suggest Haydn having a plausible alas unlikely theory that Harry Phipps was involved- not the eyewitness account that Haydn would report years later.

This is more likely.
Do I think Haydn was in fear of his father. Yes I do. I think both boys , Wayne and Haydn had terrible childhoods and one dealt with it the best they could and another had their life shattered.

There were 12 bakery items. Six finger buns, five pasties and one pie, plus two large bottles of coca cola.

Four items for each child? I don't think so. Would Grant at 4 years old, eat two finger buns and a pie and 3/4 a large bottle of coca cola (leaving one pastie for his Mum)? Two finger buns and two pasties for each of the girls?!

I think they were buying for six people, Munro, McIntyre, Phipps and the three of them. It seems confirmed they were in the bakery at 11.45 am. They should have been getting straight on the bus leaving around 12 noon after bakery, if they hadn't lost their money and had to take change and bakery items back to the person who gave them the pound note.

There were 12 bakery items. Six finger buns, five pasties and one pie, plus two large bottles of coca cola.

Four items for each child? I don't think so. Would Grant at 4 years old, eat two finger buns and a pie and 3/4 a large bottle of coca cola (leaving one pastie for his Mum)? Two finger buns and two pasties for each of the girls?!

I think they were buying for six people, Munro, McIntyre, Phipps and the three of them. It seems confirmed they were in the bakery at 11.45 am. They should have been getting straight on the bus leaving around 12 noon after bakery, if they hadn't lost their money and had to take change and bakery items back to the person who gave them the pound note.
Jane would have jumped and said ''mum wanted a pasty'' . That takes away 1 person. It also begs the question if this was a planned snatch why go into the bakery in the 1st place? There is something not quite right there. There are a lot of whys.

Jane would have jumped and said ''mum wanted a pasty'' . That takes away 1 person. It also begs the question if this was a planned snatch why go into the bakery in the 1st place? There is something not quite right there. There are a lot of whys.

As a delaying tactic, maybe? They were at the beach with their father the day before. Someone sights them at the beach by themselves and contacts others? Perhaps giving the others enough time to set a plan in motion?

Might explain why they ended up missing? They might have tried to separate the kids and one of the kids kicked up a stink and things went south from there?

Good summary of Hayden Phipps different evidence. I believe Phipps saw the children around 12.15 pm and they were at the house.

I don't understand why you haven't included any reference to the McIntyre children's evidence, which fits with the eye witnesses reports. The man with speedos that are dark blue with white stripes on either side, leaves beach with long pants and a towel, mid to late thirties is almost identical description Ruth gives for Max McIntyre. This man was witnessed by a 74 year old woman and Jane's friend between 11 and 11.15 am. They are then seen by themselves at the bakery at 11.45 am.

However don't agree with your summary in point G.

You say after the children returned from the bakery around 12 with a man in tow he approached the bench with the elderly couple and asked about the lost money, then dressed the children. I'm not sure if this happened then or before they went to the bakery.

A bit later than this when the Vietnam vet says he talked to Jane when she sat on a bench with him. He says he's on a bench not far from the bakery. He was sitting on a bench near the elderly couple, and remembers talking to them after about the children.

He gave a very clear description of a 20 year old lad who was with them (after coming back from change rooms?) and a distinctive car that picked the children and the lad up in. This description, including the European type trunks was a ringer for Tony Munro.

There seems to be two different men who match the description of Munro and McIntyre very closely, so I'm curious why you haven't mentioned this possibility, especially with the eye witness reports of their involvement from their children.

Neither description fits Phipps as he would have been recognised, especially going up to and talking to an elderly couple. It's possible he's the getaway driver or the children are taken immediately to his house and given drugged drinks of coca cola,before being taken to his factory, for example.

It takes away one of the 12 items, still too many for three small children I think.

I think their money went missing before they went to the bakery, otherwise they would have used their own money and got on the bus after.

However with no money they then didn't have any money for the bus ride home. The deal may have been I'll give you a pound to buy all of us lunch and they you can have some of the change for your bus money.

As a delaying tactic, maybe? They were at the beach with their father the day before. Someone sights them at the beach by themselves and contacts others? Perhaps giving the others enough time to set a plan in motion?

Might explain why they ended up missing? They might have tried to separate the kids and one of the kids kicked up a stink and things went south from there?
Nah. It would be to gain trust. First the perp would have taken their money. Then when the kids were looking for it he’d come up and ask what’s going on. He would then offer to buy them lunch to garner trust and then to give them a ride home. IF the kids wanted to buy an extra pastie for mum, the perp would have been happy to pay to further the trust. Then he leads them off to his place to get the car to drive them home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not all over this case but this person/s sound like the type of people who have based their entire ego around having allegedly witnessed a high profile crime and are somewhat playing the victim themselves. This tends to happen to a lot of people around the fringes of these cases. They see or hear something and over time their mind starts to fill in gaps and the memory starts to join dots that never existed.

My question is why do people think that all three children are buried in the one location?
Surely it would have been easier, also what does it matter if all or one got found.

I'm not all over this case but this person/s sound like the type of people who have based their entire ego around having allegedly witnessed a high profile crime and are somewhat playing the victim themselves. This tends to happen to a lot of people around the fringes of these cases. They see or hear something and over time their mind starts to fill in gaps and the memory starts to join dots that never existed.

My question is why do people think that all three children are buried in the one location?
Is there a suggestion here than one or two of the kids may have lived longer than the other(s)?

Did anyone see them eating the items or did they take them somewhere to eat later?
If I was abducting and killing the kids, I wouldn't be telling them to buy me food, id say buys some for yourself (doesn't look suspicious at the time or later on) and then just eat theirs sometime later out of sight and they go without.

This could be the Munro and Phipps connection.

The witness, who The Advertiser has chosen not to identify, responded to a cold case missing persons poster he saw in a police station in May. The poster said the children had disappeared from the Glenelg foreshore on January 26, 1966, and the location was key to the Vietnam Veteran's belief he may have vital information. He has told police he believes he spoke with Jane 9, minutes before she and siblings, Arnna 7, and Grant 4, were taken from Glenelg. He also says he spoke with a young man with the children and described a distinctive vehicle they all left in. And in what should prove a key to validating him as a witness, the man said he also talked about the incident at the scene with an elderly couple who were confirmed by police as witnesses during preliminary investigations of the case. The potential witness who was 20 at the time, said he was eating lunch near Wenzels Bakery, when he spoke to a girl he believes was Jane. "A lad about my age had come up from the beach and used the shower" his statement to police says. "He had three children with him. A girl about 11, a girl about 6 and a boy about 4. The eldest girl was quite chatty and sat on the bench I was on." "She looked at my lunch. I asked her was she hungry and she said no (the lad) had given them a pound and they had lunch from the bakery." It is known that the children had a one pound note their parents had not given them. "I spoke to the lad if he had had his National Service call up. He answered no he hadn't, I had. End of conversation." The young man has been described as being of medium height and build with sandy coloured hair and had an Australian accent. He was wearing distinctive European-style bathers. The witness said all four then got into a car and left, travelling north. The Advertiser has chosen to not publish the detailed description of the distinctive vehicle. He said he had never come forward because he was not aware what he had seen that could be connected to the case. "Anything I had ever read about the Beaumont children, it was always linked to the Bay Sheffield running race and Colley Reserve," he said. I've never been in that race and I don't know the reserve, I never thought anything of it. Nothing fitted with what I saw and a crime. There just didn't seem to be anything wrong." The witness, who had been conscripted for the Vietnam War effort, was flown to Puckapunyal, Victoria, a week after the children missing. "We had no television and no SA papers." he said. "I was away for two years.... And I didn't come back in very good shape."
This is from the report in The Advertiser.

Probably but havent been on there much ... I set this page up in 2013 after the first castalloy dig fiasco ... https://www.facebook.com/beaumont1966/

[AT the time Frank Pangallo of CH7 today tonight and I were discussing the case (he's an old high school classmate of mine_)]
Is it possible to ask Pangello

1. Is the Vietnam Vet, David Smith still alive?

2. The only description I've seen of the distinctive car is "sports styled car, new, shiny with a chrome luggage rack" and "distinctive". Does he know who it belongs to or does The Advertiser have a better description?

3. Is Elliot Johnson = Frank Barsley?

Thanks in advance.

2. The only description I've seen of the distinctive car is "sports styled car, new, shiny with a chrome luggage rack" and "distinctive". Does he know who it belongs to or does The Advertiser have a better description?

Thanks in advance.
David Smith is still alive & wants Tony Munro to see his photo, is trying to help to put the pieces together. I have read that the make of car is known, also but am yet to read exact details.

Screenshot_20180207-223421.png

Last edited:
I'm calling BS on the vet's story, it just doesn't make any sense.

1. A car like that would be super easy to find in small town Adelaide in the '60's. Police would have known who drove it without any doubt. If it existed.

2. He went to Puck a week after the disappearance but it didn't click that the 3 kids he saw get into an extremely distinctive car were the ones that were missing, even though their descriptions were all over the place during that week and they disappeared within metres of where he says he saw them? He never saw any media or talked to any friends/family during that week who would have mentioned the disappearance?

3. The 'old couple' he said he chatted with never came forward? I reckon he's inserting himself into the case and used the 'old couple sitting on the bench' story to advantage, except the old couple were at the reserve and not outside the bakery.

4. The people at the park stated the man was late 30's while the vet says he's around 20yo?

5. He only came forward 40/50 years later?

Not buying it.

Nah. It would be to gain trust. First the perp would have taken their money. Then when the kids were looking for it he’d come up and ask what’s going on. He would then offer to buy them lunch to garner trust and then to give them a ride home. IF the kids wanted to buy an extra pastie for mum, the perp would have been happy to pay to further the trust. Then he leads them off to his place to get the car to drive them home.
Yeah , it does sound like a grooming tactic :(
As does the “boyfriend” (?Munro?)

Is there a suggestion here than one or two of the kids may have lived longer than the other(s)?
If one of their deaths was indeed an “accident”, then this would make sense
Depends how much of Ruth’s accounts we believe

Thanks in advance.

I lost Franks' email etc ... he has changed evrything since 2013 - I messaged him on instagram last week ... but no reply

Remove this Banner Ad

Back