Unsolved The Beaumont Children

Remove this Banner Ad

EVerybody else here reads stuff as well, there's threads dedicated to that stuff across this forum.

Nobody's shy in here of saying what they think. In this though, on balance and given they obviously can't say a matter has been investigated if it hasn't because there's a lot of paperwork that goes into an investigation and a lot of pressure is being applied, they are almost certainly telling the truth. IMO.
That s why everyone has there
Own opinions isnt it makes good conversation sometimes

Back in the day, could a car have parked anywhere that had a view of where the kids were playing under the sprinkler?
If they were at location C then yes. If they were at the other grassed areas, D on the above map, then possibly, but only at the far northern end between the sideshows and the beach, next to the car park. If they were closer to the jetty I doubt it.

Why does this concern you? It looks to be a simple misunderstanding that was corrected.

10:15am? Police report was changed to show a different time tho
2dfade56d478189c11f9e74722418eeb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The post above by Bits also shows that, while the man went into the change rooms alone, the children waited for him on a nearby seat. So there aren't conflicting stories about him leaving with the children or leaving alone at all as someone wanted us to believe. No-one saw him leave the area alone.

Why does this concern you? It looks to be a simple misunderstanding that was corrected.

2dfade56d478189c11f9e74722418eeb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Why does what concern me? The time they left Or the case? Just asked a question if that all right. Seen all
Different times said

Am i not allloud to ask questions?

Why does what concern me? The time they left Or the case? Just asked a question if that all right. Seen all
Different times said

Am i not allloud to ask questions?

You asked more than once, five times actually about the police report and the time change. I just posted it for you.

yeah i remember a bit of it.
I cant see the killer parking in this open area. More likely in the bigger carpark at the end of anzac highway
I agree, he could have parked on Mosely across the road from Wenzels and the bus stop in the terrace houses, which by the way, I would love to get a photo of, you could drive down the side of them and park out the back if memory serves, that would have been very convenient for him, nice a close!

One of you might be able to say if this is correct or not but the way it's been described elsewhere is that there was parking 'along the foreshore'. I can't see where it might have been in any of the historical pics in here.

Why I'm asking is because the section the kids were in was protected and hidden by buildings each side, the club and the sideshows. So I'm wondering where it was exactly that David Smith might have seen the kids getting into a car? Could you see all the way down to the Anzac Highway parking area from that section of Colley Reserve?
Yes, there was parking all along the foreshore on the left hand side as yoiu're facing the jetty..

I checked this bloke out on the internet stuff & you say hes been sacked as a journo and hea stolen from a bloke that passed on yet on the pages before this page you dont even believe the other bloke exists? Whats your issue with this guy? Ive got mates who work for councils too so a ‘mere council worker’ is down right offensive, you should
Check yourself.
Are you on the turps or something? My issue with 'that guy' is the lack of credible evidence to back up any of his claims NO EVIDENCE. Maybe you should be the one checking yourself/ yerself

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I often passed the macklin street address as a kid. our family is from the area.
there was nothing that I seen or heard, suggest anything bad went on at that address.
Johnymac1 - Maybe you might be able to confirm this for me, note the dates given in this article by ******** regarding a person named David Smith and the Bay Sheffield races..." He did not come forward immediately because just after Australia Day he went to Puckapunyal for National Service. He didn’t have access to newspapers or radio so he didn’t know that children had gone missing. When he returned to South Australia years later, the media had confused the dates/days. For years, years later, the media assumed that 26 January 1966 was a public holiday and reported that the children disappeared from Colley Reserve during the Bay Sheffield. In fact, the 1966 Bay Sheffield was held on the public holiday on Friday 28 January. <---------"........According to what I just researched, the Bay of Sheffield races have always been held on the 27th and 28th of December.

Last edited by a moderator:
BAY SHEFFIELD FACTS

The Bay Sheffield footrace has been held every year since 1887 on the day South Australia celebrates its birthday – December 28 (Proclamation Day).​
Throughout its 120 year history, the Bay Sheffield Carnival has been held every year at the Glenelg public reserve named Colley Reserve, except for between 1966-1969 and 2001-2003. Between 1966 and 1969, it was held on Wigley Reserve due to reconstruction work between the Town Hall and Colley Reserve. During 2001-2003, the Bay Sheffield was run at Adelaide Oval after the SA Athletic League had a dispute with the Glenelg Commemoration Day Sports Association.​
The first Bay Sheffield in 1887 was won over 100 yards by H Quinn off a handicap of 11 yards in a time of 9.4 seconds. 38 runners had nominated for the inaugural race and the first prize was 14 pounds. In 1999 there were 104 runners nominated and the first prize was $13650.​
It was not until 1982 that licensed bookmakers could legally operate on races conducted at the Bay Sheffield Carnival but it was well known before this date that, although illegal, bookmakers could be found in the area.​

A large number of well-known South Australian Aussie Rules League Footballers have won the Bay Sheffield – 26 in number. With increasing time commitments demanded by clubs for their own pre-season training in recent times, it has been 15 years since a League footballer won the race (South Adelaide player Darren Kappler who also played in the AFL was the 1985 Bay Sheffield champion). The list of footballers who have won the race is:​
SOUTH ADELAIDE
Wally Allen (1919), Clem Croft (1929), Laurie Cahill (1936), Alf Skuse (1964), Darren Kappler (1985)​
WEST ADELAIDE
Alby Klose (1907), Fred Ralph (1930, 1932), John McInerney (1966), Neil Jamieson (1967)​
WEST TORRENS
Dave Smith (1902, 1903), Albert Fooks (1910, 1915)​
NORTH ADELAIDE
Norm Claxton (1900), Russell Fuss (1920), Merv Smith (1945), Merv Way (1951)​
NORWOOD
JD "Bunny" Daly (1896), Ern Wadham (1922), LR Parker (1927)​
STURT
Oscar Hyman (1895), Harold Bruce (1918), Ken Brown (1942)​
PORT ADELAIDE
Bruce McInnes (1924), Peter Mead (1969)​
GLENELG
Allan James (1935)​
It was in 1893 that a dead-heat occurred in the Bay Sheffield final between A.Polkinghorne and F.Woollard. A run-off was the held, with A.Polkinghorne declared the winner.​
Before 1900 it was quite common for runners to assume different names when they entered. The 1990 winner, Norm Claxton, entered the race as "F.Pierce". This practice was stamped out in following years.​
The 1901 final saw a protest lodged against the first across the line, J.Mongan, for not supplying the correct amount of information for the handicapper to judge his ability. The 2nd placegetter, W.E.Palmer, was then awarded the race.​
There have been 6 Bay Sheffield winners that have won the Stawell Gift.​

Last edited:
A school friend of Jane’s saw the three children at Glenelg Beach
shortly after 11.00am. They were swimming in the shallows near
the Glenelg jetty, then running up to Colley Reserve, directly
behind the Holdfast Bay Sailing Club on Moseley Square. Colley
Reserve was a quiet corner of the foreshore, between the sailing
club and the row of sideshows, to the northeast of the beach.
The children laid out their towels near two large trees and were
running in and out of the sprinklers.
A 74-year-old Glenelg woman saw the children ‘frolicking’
with a tall, thin man at Colley Reserve. The elderly woman saw
the man talk to the children and very soon they were playing
with him. Arnna and Grant were jumping over him as he lay on
the grass, while Jane was flicking him with her towel. They were
still laughing and playing together when the woman left the area,
shortly before noon.
The man was originally described as a ‘sun-tanned surfie’ or
‘beachcomber’, about 6 feet 1 in in height, and 30 to 40 years old,
with ‘blond’ hair that was ‘in need of cutting’. This description
was later corrected by other witnesses. In a time when 25 percent
of the population of Adelaide was composed of immigrants, it
was noted that the man spoke with an Australian accent. The man
had been lying face down on his towel on the grass area, watching
the children as they washed the sand off under the sprinklers. He
was wearing sky-blue bathers with a white stripe down each side
and had placed his clothes on a white seat near the sailing club.
Around midday, an elderly couple, sitting nearby with their
teenage granddaughter, had a conversation with the man. The
man was with the three children, on the grassy area behind them,
when he approached and asked, ‘Did any of you people see anyone
with our clothes? We’ve had some money taken ...’ The elderly
couple were able to describe the children’s clothing, including
the shoulder bag Jane had been carrying, also confirmed by a
middle-aged woman sitting nearby, who thought the man said,
‘Have you seen anyone messing with our clothes? Our money
has been pinched.’ Later there was cause to wonder: Did someone
really take their money, or did the man take Jane’s purse so that he
had a reason to offer them some money and a lift home?
The middle-aged woman watched the man as he helped the
children put their shorts on over their bathers. She thought it was
especially strange that he did this for the eldest girl, who appeared
old enough to dress herself.
They had already missed the midday bus and now, according to
the man seen with them, had no money to buy their lunches or
get home. Having apparently won the confidence of the children,
the man left them for a while and went to the changing sheds to
get dressed. The children crossed the path that cut through Colley
Reserve and stood near a seat, waiting for the man to return. They
were still standing there when the elderly couple left the beach
with their granddaughter at 12.15pm.
The last sighting of the three children was in Wenzel’s Cakes
on Moseley Street, where they were due to catch the bus home. A
shop assistant later said the three children came in around midday
and bought their lunches – pies and pasties, but also another
lunch in a separate bag – with a £1 note. This information was
not circulated in the press at the time and not officially confirmed
by the police for another 12 months. The children had left home
with only eight shillings and sixpence, so it appeared someone
most likely the man they were seen playing with, had given them
a considerable amount of money to buy their lunch.
Although it was later erroneously reported that the children
were last seen in the company of the man at about 1.45pm, the
shop assistant in Wenzel’s Cakes who served the children did not
corroborate this account, as she did not see a man with them.
After the children left the shop, no one saw them get into a car
or walk home to Somerton Park, and the bus driver did not see
them on his bus that afternoon. As the police later observed, it
was as if they’d ‘disappeared into thin air’.
Extract from 'The Satin Man'.

Seems ALL witness descriptions are constant with a man approx. 6'1" in height about 35- 40 years old with blondish/ brownish hair parted on the side, thin face which does NOT describe Tony Munro who was only 18 in 1966. Screenshot (85).png

Attachments

• Screenshot (86).png
    Screenshot (86).png
    184.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot (84).png
    Screenshot (84).png
    73.8 KB · Views: 47
Harry Phipps (died 2004), a local factory owner and a member of Adelaide's social elite, was identified as a possible suspect after the publication of the book The Satin Man: Uncovering the Mystery of the Missing Beaumont Children in 2013. The book did not name the identity of the Satin Man, but his estranged son identified him soon after as the Satin Man and possible murderer.

Phipps bore a substantial likeness to the police artist's impression of the man seen talking to the children on the beach. He was a relatively tall man around 6 foot one and did have light brown hair in 1966 and a thin face. He was wealthy and known to be in the habit of giving out £1 notes, was later alleged to have pedophile tendencies, and lived only 300 metres away from Glenelg Beach on the corner of Augusta Street and Sussex Street.

His birthdate of the 1st of July 1917 made him 48 years of age at the time of the Beaumont disappearance. Those that knew Harry Phipps at this time said he looked a lot younger than his 48 years. This age discrepancy leaves a question mark next to Harry Phipps being the possible abductor- a 48 year old having to look around 35.

In 2007, Phipps's son Haydn, who was 15 at the time of the disappearance, came forward to researchers with the claim that he had seen the children in his father's yard that day. Two other persons, youths at the time, said that they had been paid by Phipps to dig a 2 × 1 × 2-metre hole in his factory yard that weekend, for unstated reasons.

In November 2013, a one-metre-squared section of a factory in North Plympton, which had been owned by Phipps, was excavated following the new information about his possible involvement in the disappearance of the children. A ground-penetrating radar found "one small anomaly, which can indicate movement or objects within the soil", but the dig found no additional evidence and investigations into the site were closed.

On 22 January 2018, Adelaide detectives announced that they would return to the factory site and conduct further excavations, after a private investigation sponsored by Channel Seven Adelaide. The excavation, on 2 February 2018, took nine hours. Animal bones and general rubbish were found, but nothing related to the Beaumont case.

In 2017, more evidence may have come to hand as according to S.A. Major Crimes Superintendent Des Bray, “There has been information that has come in and that caused us in 2017 to commence a discreet investigation which we didn’t announce publicly (into Harry Phipps).” In addition to this, former SA detective, Bill Hayes has said: “In this particular case we’ve got over 30 coincidences lining up to Mr Phipps.”

Despite the failed Castalloy dig, there is still the possibility that Harry Phipps was the Beaumont children abductor. There was a cottage at Castalloy that was deemed out-of-bounds to all staff except Harry Phipps and it is alleged he dressed in satin here which aroused him. He may have taken the Beaumont children to this cottage before disposing of their bodies through another method at the site. There was a factory waste area that resembled a sandpit. Phipps may have dumped the surfboard bags in here containing the Beaumont children and would have hence bypassed the risky manoeuvre of getting people to dig the hole. Another possibility involves the furnace that Harry Phipps had access to on the factory site. Depending on certain factors, this may have been thought of as an easy way to hide all evidence.

Screenshot (89).png

Most photos of Phipps show a man with a chubby face - one I wouldnt describe as thin

His hairstyle was also conservative - ie not ''long at the back''

The photos dont show a man who 'looks younger than his years''

There are 2 photos on the South Australian Library site https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/find/phipps

1 from 1960 and 1 from 1971 which show this chubby face and conservative haircut

This doesnt exclude Phipps but these are questions that will come up that need to be answered

Most photos of Phipps show a man with a chubby face - one I wouldnt describe as thin

His hairstyle was also conservative - ie not ''long at the back''

The photos dont show a man who 'looks younger than his years''

There are 2 photos on the South Australian Library site https://collections.slsa.sa.gov.au/find/phipps

1 from 1960 and 1 from 1971 which show this chubby face and conservative haircut

This doesnt exclude Phipps but these are questions that will come up that need to be answered

The thing is just how detailed were the descriptions given by witnesses/ And where/when did the suspect morph into a young blonde guy about 18 or so? I think because of his deviant pastimes, his sexual fetish for wearing satin dresses, his accessibility to the beach and the location of his house being only 200 metres from the reserve which would be about the distance the little boy could have walked I guess...means and motive,
  1. Harry Phipps did fit the description of the man seen with the Beaumont children at Colley Reserve Glenelg.
  2. The man at the beach was wearing blue swimmers with a white stripe down either side. The colours of the Henley Beach Surf Life Saving Club five kilometres away.A Club his teenage son sailed at in 1966.
  3. Harry Phipps was 48 years old in 1966, however many that knew him in the early to mid-1960s described Harry Phipps as looking much younger than his years.
  4. Harry Phipps was a regular swimmer at Glenelg beach.
  5. He lived 190 metres in direct view of Colley reserve.
  6. He lived 200 metres from Wenzel’s bakery where Jane Beaumont was last seen buying a large lunch with a pound note.A pound note her mother did not give Jane.
  7. Harry Phipps was known to give out pound notes in the 1950s until the mid-1960s.
  8. He had an overwhelming satin fetish. Making his own satin dresses. When wearing Satin he would become sexually aroused.
  9. Harry Phipps was well known attending a private gentlemen’s club in the Adelaide CBD; with like-minded men dressing as women.
  10. Several Castalloy workers that were employed at the factory in the 1960s and 1970s stated Harry Phipps and ” others ” would congregate on some weekends in the factory cafeteria dressed women’s clothing.
  11. His own son accuses Harry of sexually abusing him over many years. Statement analysis experts believe Haydn Phipps is being truthful.
  12. In late 2017 a lady comes forward with a similar story. Allegedly sexually abused by Harry Phipps in the 1970s when she was a 14 year old school girl. This occurred across from his Castalloy factory. A factory she lived close to. Note: Statement analysis expert state she is telling the truth
  13. Mullins and Hayes were contacted in late 2018 by an individual who alleges they were sexually abused by Harry Phipps.This individual appears very truthful. Some facts they stated resonate strongly with both. Bill Hayes is following this line of investigation.
  14. A retired senior member of the South Australian clergy was sexually abused as an alter boy in the early 1950s . Stated he knew of Harry Phipps in pedophilic circles.

If I had all of the BC statements and sightings in ten stacks laid out in front of me. With stack number one, being relevant to the case and containing corroborated info. I think Smiths statement would end up in a stack titled “other sighting” and be placed way down the order.
The 100's of odd statements coming in post sixties, would not even make the stacks of evidence.

lol, I don't think there is any Smith statement - or a report made by the youngest person to become a SAPOL detective aka Barry Heaven, who was a detective constable in 1946 and still constable in 1957.

I often passed the macklin street address as a kid. our family is from the area.
there was nothing that I seen or heard, suggest anything bad went on at that address.
I don't know why there are outstanding cold case murders in South Australia, I mean didn't a couple of disgruntled siblings claim their father is responsible for hundreds of SA murders? Conspiracies', sacrifices, sinkholes and wells, hidden caves and tunnels, in fact I think Rachel is writing a book "Rachel and the cave of a thousand skulls" :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back