Unsolved The Beaumont Children

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Well that brings Smith's witness account back into play as he mentioned a man around 20 years old around 5.8 ft tall with blonde hair...how tall was Percy?
Smith had 50 years to state what he saw - and his account is only what a certain person wanted his account to describe so it would give a bit of credence in a endeavor to discredit 2 people - Munro and Max, sadly I highly doubt Smith was even there that day let alone develop sudden memory recall on a weekly basic by adding more and more details including a flashy car, the colour of a mans swimmers, speaking to a couple of the kids....pure creation and false. Andrew McIntyre remained close friends with Munro throughout his adult life so think about that.

Deni

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's you're not your... do you need a tutor lol
Pedantic much?
Hi DropBearess, I know Derek Percy has been mentioned as a suspect but then dismissed because of his age in 1966 - 17-18 , but apparently he was in the area staying with a friend who shared his love of sailing and was there for some sailing regatta which was being held in that area - I don't know the details of the sailing races or what they was called. After reading Deb Marshall's in depth book about Percy called 'Lambs to the Slaughter' that mongrel was one of the most depraved, cruel, and outright sadistic bastard that ever walked. He also had many drawings of the kids which were found along with boxes of drawings he did while jailed which showed depraved torture of his victims and apparently was his way of reliving his deeds. He was not responsible for the Oval girls disappearance though as he was jailed in 1969 where he remained till dying of cancer.
From what I know about Derek Percy at that time, was that he was in Adelaide with his parents on holiday and he didn't have permission to use his fathers car, i'm not sure if he even had a licence, he was 17 at that time, he didn't turn 18 until September.
If you look at it this way, to take the children, do whatever he did to them, then take them to bury somewhere would have taken hours and i'm sure his father would have noticed his car missing for all that time.
I'm not defending the man, he was an evil piece of s***, and him staying in prison for the rest of his life saved many a child I think!

Last edited:

Deni

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Except that this may have well been the last opportunity for a crook to make his move. Australia Day was celebrated on the weekend, and then school went back.
Who knows? But I really want to know,
Australia Day was celebrated on Wednesday the 26th Jan 1966. It wasn't celebrated on the weekend, and it wasn't a public holiday, that didn't come in for a few years after 66'

Deni

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Smith had 50 years to state what he saw - and his account is only what a certain person wanted his account to describe so it would give a bit of credence in a endeavor to discredit 2 people - Munro and Max, sadly I highly doubt Smith was even there that day let alone develop sudden memory recall on a weekly basic by adding more and more details including a flashy car, the colour of a mans swimmers, speaking to a couple of the kids....pure creation and false.
Don't forget Smith's 23 second video interview LOL

Dusty 17

Debutant
Feb 23, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Australia Day was celebrated on Wednesday the 26th Jan 1966. It wasn't celebrated on the weekend, and it wasn't a public holiday, that didn't come in for a few years after 66'

Yes, that was the point I was making. The children disappeared on a Tuesday, and the holiday wasn’t until the following weekend.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Dusty 17

Debutant
Feb 23, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Munro isn't named as a suspect!

He was in 2016. He was interviewed by police. As for the children supposedly being too ‘young’ for him - he was convicted of a 1990 offence against an eleven year old boy.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
He was in 2016. He was interviewed by police. As for the children supposedly being too ‘young’ for him - he was convicted of a 1990 offence against an eleven year old boy.

Exactly. 10- 11 year old boys was his preference, not 4 year old and definitely not girls.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes, that was the point I was making. The children disappeared on a Tuesday, and the holiday wasn’t until the following weekend.

It was a Wednesday and according to data the beach areas of Adelaide were all crowded due to the heat, school holidays and the many who had time off work like school teachers and parents unable to work due to kids school holidays. It wasn't a new thing for the kids to be at the beach, they went there most days of the holidays, sometimes with their father. On that fateful day they wanted to ride their bikes to the beach but were told no, it was too hot. .. if only.....

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
It was a Wednesday and according to data the beach areas of Adelaide were all crowded due to the heat, school holidays and the many who had time off work like school teachers and parents unable to work due to kids school holidays. It wasn't a new thing for the kids to be at the beach, they went there most days of the holidays, sometimes with their father. On that fateful day they wanted to ride their bikes to the beach but were told no, it was too hot. .. if only.....
Do you know if they had ever taken their pushbikes to beach prior to that day? I ask because percy was known to take his pushbike when he went on holidays. Could it be possible they wanted to take their pushbikes instead of the bus because of Jane's new boyfriend having a pushbike?

EyeMedia

Debutant
Feb 6, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Munro chose male victims far older than the youngest Beaumont and groomed them earning trust over time, he was in a perfect position to do that as Scout Master. He didn't need to risk abducting three off-type children from a stable home where the cops would never stop looking for them.

I'm not defending Munro, he's just not a fit for it in my view.
It seems Anthony Munro and Allan 'Max' McIntyre are Andrew McIntyre's long-held pet theory about who the BC culprits are. Whether anyone else agrees with him, who knows. Police don't.

EyeMedia

Debutant
Feb 6, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
The more I read, the more Percy becomes the strongest (known) suspect IMO.
Finally solving the case would be nice, but it seems the chances of imprisoning anyone for the offence/s is becoming increasingly slim. Has the journalist and author Debi Marshall ever visited this forum with her views and opinions?

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
For those wanting to explore the Percy theory a bit more, l have some local knowledge and experience which might make things interesting. We know Percy was in the area and we know his parents attended regattas etc in their caravan.

I was born and raised close to Glenelg beach and lived there through the 60s and beyond. We caught the bus from Henley Beach to Glenelg very frequently, or sometimes just walked there along the beach. Enroute was the West Beach Sailing Club, then a km or so away was the Caravan Park. After this there were expansive sand dunes which stretched for a km. The dunes were a big attraction as kids for rolling and sliding, but due to the isolation of the area at the time we weren't allowed there unaccompanied. It was a known haunt for "odd-bods" as everyone called them at the time. Kids could most certainly get into trouble there and not be noticed or heard. The dunes were accessible by road and you could park there, but most people chose other sections of the beach for swimming and accessibility. This area was a large, undeveloped expanse and is now the West Beach Resort and Adventure Park.

The bus we travelled on to Glenelg was the same private bus the children used. It went from Port Adelaide to Somerton Park. We alighted at Mosely St outside the bakery, then the bus would continue to the stop near the Beaumont home and beyond. On return we'd catch it across the road from the bakery. It would take us back along the coast, past the sand dunes, past the Caravan Park, past the Sailing Club, then home. From Jetty Road Glenelg to the Caravan Pk is 2.5kms. From the Caravan Pk to the Sailing Club is 1.3kms.

The West Beach Sailing Club was the biggest at the time and many prestigious regattas were held there. Many would stay at the caravan park. The "Club" at the time was a boozy affair where many parents left their kids to their own devices for an entire day while they did their thing.

In the 1970's, Adelaide embarked on a very large project called the Coastal Regeneration Project. Glenelg, West Beach and Henley Beach were losing considerable amounts of sand because wind and waves were sending sand from the south to the northern beaches. Subsequently, massive amounts of sand was transported from northern beaches to Glenelg and West Beach. The project continues to this day.

I'm useless with links, but to appreciate the magnitude of the changes to the landscape at Glenelg, just google "How Adelaide beaches stay in shape".

Sorry about all this raving, but could there be some dots to connect? Percy could have accessed a direct bus. He could have walked via the beach. He could have snuk the family car when his parents were occupied. He could have accessed a caravan. Maybe his parents used a holiday house between Glenelg and the Beaumont home? Plenty of possibilities.

Tues

Team Captain
Dec 6, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Do you know if they had ever taken their pushbikes to beach prior to that day? I ask because percy was known to take his pushbike when he went on holidays. Could it be possible they wanted to take their pushbikes instead of the bus because of Jane's new boyfriend having a pushbike?
they were all given new bikes for Christmas so rode them to the beach as often as they could.

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In relation to my recent post re Percy, l had completely forgotten about the remnants of many beach shacks in front of the sand dunes, spanning at lease 1 km. These gradually became unoccupied and abandoned until the local councils ordered them all to be demolished due to sand erosion in 1963. The owners and/or councils did this and discarded all the wood, then burnt it all on the beach. Very exciting for us kids at the time!

The only bits remaining of these shacks were the floors and the bearers, being too deep to remove. I can recall a young friend sliding down the dunes and ending up partly under the floor of one, around 1965. I've struggled to find any photos of the shacks, but this one shows them a couple of years before demolition. I am absolutely certain parts of the shacks were still there in 1970, when sand cartage began.

The shack remnants were searched by police when the children disappeared. They were apparently searched several times in following weeks. We need to bear in mind though, that there were no body-searching technologies available whatsoever. Easily another locale for Percy, if it was him. Thousands of tons of sand have been dumped there since then.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220719-175454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220719-175454_Chrome.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 65

HK_Hawk

Club Legend
Jun 18, 2011
Hong Kong
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those wanting to explore the Percy theory a bit more, l have some local knowledge and experience which might make things interesting. We know Percy was in the area and we know his parents attended regattas etc in their caravan.

I was born and raised close to Glenelg beach and lived there through the 60s and beyond. We caught the bus from Henley Beach to Glenelg very frequently, or sometimes just walked there along the beach. Enroute was the West Beach Sailing Club, then a km or so away was the Caravan Park. After this there were expansive sand dunes which stretched for a km. The dunes were a big attraction as kids for rolling and sliding, but due to the isolation of the area at the time we weren't allowed there unaccompanied. It was a known haunt for "odd-bods" as everyone called them at the time. Kids could most certainly get into trouble there and not be noticed or heard. The dunes were accessible by road and you could park there, but most people chose other sections of the beach for swimming and accessibility. This area was a large, undeveloped expanse and is now the West Beach Resort and Adventure Park.

The bus we travelled on to Glenelg was the same private bus the children used. It went from Port Adelaide to Somerton Park. We alighted at Mosely St outside the bakery, then the bus would continue to the stop near the Beaumont home and beyond. On return we'd catch it across the road from the bakery. It would take us back along the coast, past the sand dunes, past the Caravan Park, past the Sailing Club, then home. From Jetty Road Glenelg to the Caravan Pk is 2.5kms. From the Caravan Pk to the Sailing Club is 1.3kms.

The West Beach Sailing Club was the biggest at the time and many prestigious regattas were held there. Many would stay at the caravan park. The "Club" at the time was a boozy affair where many parents left their kids to their own devices for an entire day while they did their thing.

In the 1970's, Adelaide embarked on a very large project called the Coastal Regeneration Project. Glenelg, West Beach and Henley Beach were losing considerable amounts of sand because wind and waves were sending sand from the south to the northern beaches. Subsequently, massive amounts of sand was transported from northern beaches to Glenelg and West Beach. The project continues to this day.

I'm useless with links, but to appreciate the magnitude of the changes to the landscape at Glenelg, just google "How Adelaide beaches stay in shape".

Sorry about all this raving, but could there be some dots to connect? Percy could have accessed a direct bus. He could have walked via the beach. He could have snuk the family car when his parents were occupied. He could have accessed a caravan. Maybe his parents used a holiday house between Glenelg and the Beaumont home? Plenty of possibilities.
I also like the idea of Percy. That said, do we have anything solid to put him there, besides his own admission to Ron Anderson he may have been there at the time? His brother Lachlan, from memory, also failed to recall clearly if the family was there at the time in question.

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth

Attachments

• percy glng 66.JPG
    percy glng 66.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 54
Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
It is also mentioned in this news article,

" Was Percy in Adelaide? He told police he had been there on holiday but couldn't remember when. His brother confirmed they had been there. The mother of one of Percy's friends told police: "I can also recall that Derek travelled to Adelaide on holidays by plane on one occasion." "

johnymac1

All Australian
Nov 6, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
In 1966, Percy was still in High School. He would have certainly heard of the BC case.

It is a possibility he tried to copy the BC abductor. I would actually consider him a "CopyCat Killer".
Trying with single and multiple victims.

The BC Killer is said to be in his mid 20s, educated and possibly groomed his victims.

Jan 21, 2019
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
East Perth
In 1966, Percy was still in High School. He would have certainly heard of the BC case.

It is a possibility he tried to copy the BC abductor. I would actually consider him a "CopyCat Killer".
Trying with single and multiple victims.

The BC Killer is said to be in his mid 20s, educated and possibly groomed his victims.
If we are to believe he committed the Wanda Beach Murders then he had already killed prior the BC case, with similar circumstances.

His intelligence is not in question, he had an IQ 122, his school grades only dropped when the snowdropping started.

He obviously had the ability to charm children easily to get them to do his bidding in such a short time. The crime that got him caught was the Tuohy Murder and it is the only case with a known use of force during the abduction stage, it could be that he used the force in order to try and get SS who was wielding a tomahawk to compile.

I would think that the comment about Jane having a new boyfriend could imply someone closer to her age... and would only require a couple of meetings, a few days in a row.

Everywhere he was shown to be children went missing (all beaches), or clothes stolen from lines near his homes etc, what is the probability of that happening to anyone? Especially someone who is close match to witness IDs in all cases, including the BC case. Discrepancies in age guessing is to be expected, many people don't look their age...

He had also already started his sketches and diary before any of the children disappeared so that IMO casts doubt on him being a copycat, his fantasies and MO were forming already. He had also already enticed two young girls into a caravan and abused them, the girls told their parents and his parents downplayed the incident, nothing was done about that.

Last edited:

DropBearess

Premium Platinum
Apr 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Percy was 17.4 when the BC disappeared and had left school. He was 16.4 at the time of the Wanda Beach murders. One little known fact is that when he snow-dropped, he cut the crotch out of women's knickers in a certain way. One of the WB victims had their underwear/bathers cut in exactly the same way.

Back