Running/Fitness The Beep test

Remove this Banner Ad

Did 14.1 at umpire training a few years ago. Nearly died. Best I have heard in 17.1. A few have claimed it around the world. There are a few charts going around on google with well know athlete results, but who can tell the accuracy? Do yourselves a favour and let the cd run through until the end. When you see how close together the beeps are as it approaches level 20, you can understand how impossible it is.

Last time I attempted it I got a cheeky 10 square. Coming off the end of a bulk at 106kg I thought it was an okay effort. But in all honesty the changing directions killed me, and it gets me every time.

Used to love the beep test, actually done it inside the house a few times. Once completed it walking.... 9 metres length only, not the 20 metre length obviously.

I've once created a swimming beep test, it really does test out your fitness early. (Increased the Shuttle time).
Extended the current beep test to 30 levels to make sure no one at all can complete it.

Done this 400m track beep test where you keep running around the track, you don't have to wait until the beep. You go at your own pace, you're out when you can't keep up with the beep.

Done this 400m track beep test where you keep running around the track, you don't have to wait until the beep. You go at your own pace, you're out when you can't keep up with the beep.

I thought the whole point of the beep test was you have to wait until the beep to start the next level.

I thought the whole point of the beep test was you have to wait until the beep to start the next level.

technically he didn't do the beep test, but he seems to enjoy doing his own variations just for a challenge so it can't hurt.

i saw a VFL club do the beep test in 2005 i think it was, no idea what team it was but they seemed to be timing their walks/jogs/runs so they only had enough time to turn around before the beep went.

although i'm not sure if this is a more effective method or not, just thought i'd post it anyway

Love doing the beep test, last time I did it (2 years ago) I got 10.2 and since I was around 50kg (underweight) I thought it wasn't too bad.

i refuse to do cardio, have had a run around playing footy in the park, but never stepped foot on a treadmill, stationary bike with the purpose of cardiovascular health or weight loss, but i do weight train 4 times a week.

I made a statement to my housemates upon hearing of a friend passing the army fitness test and getting to 7 on the beep test, that i could get 8.

So within 10 minutes they had downloaded the beep test and the next day we were at the local track.

managed to get 8.1 before collapsing and was sore for 3 days.

im 26

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did it at school when I was about 15, I got 8. A few girls got 9. Not bad! Wouldn't be at all keen to do it again :D

i saw a VFL club do the beep test in 2005 i think it was, no idea what team it was but they seemed to be timing their walks/jogs/runs so they only had enough time to turn around before the beep went.

which is why it's called the beep "test" and not the "running builder method" ;) lol

I'm 14 and I did the beep test last month and managed to reach 12.1, which is a PB, I'm actually wondering how fit AFL players were when they were teens and how much do I need to improve to reach 14.1 which is the AFL minimum. Cheers

At one footy club I was involved at a player did 16 & only stopped because the only other player still going stopped just shy of 16 so he had no one else to beat!

I am in grade 10 at school and just got 14.9 on my beep test. I make State Cross Country and have found the speeding up and slowing down hard so I was pretty impressed with that score.

I'm keen to do my first beep test since year eight, where I got 10.2 back then. I consider myself to be in better shape now. I'd like to think I would do level 13+

I'll have to download the test and do it sometime soon.

I did my first beep test in 14 years last week. Managed an 11.3. I have to do another one in three weeks. I wasn't happy with my effort, and I know I can do better. I did it with ten others and I was the only one to make it beyond level 11. No one to push me is why I didn't keep going.

I'm 14 and I did the beep test last month and managed to reach 12.1, which is a PB, I'm actually wondering how fit AFL players were when they were teens and how much do I need to improve to reach 14.1 which is the AFL minimum. Cheers

I think most in their teens would have decent natural speed as well as speed-endurance. Distance fitness is much more varied, some are quite fit and others are pretty average(though generally still quite fit compared to your average person). I used to train sometimes with dan hannebery when we were 15-16-17, he'd come and train with our athletics group to improve his fitness for footy. Over distances like 400m-800m he was competitive with us (us being track athletes) whereas stretching out to 1500m-3km he'd fall behind a bit. I'm pretty sure he ran just under 2 minutes for 800m when he was training with us at around 16-17yr old. He did train hard with us(on top of his footy training), and he ended up doing very well in all the fitness tests as a result.

Regularly get 12's. Hate doing it. Dread doing it. But footy clubs (especially high levels) love doing them. Decent way of testing ur capacity, but not the most accurate either. Should never be done as a form of exercise/cardio workout. Only testing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back