JMan5

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North Queensland Cowboys
I'm only 16 and I legit got 16.2 today. My previous best was 15.1 which was the old school record. I went to states cross country last month so I'm in good form. What is the draft camp record?

FullBack30

Debutant
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm only 16 and I legit got 16.2 today. My previous best was 15.1 which was the old school record. I went to states cross country last month so I'm in good form. What is the draft camp record?
The highest was 16.6 by Billy Hartung just last year, before that it was 16.1 by Brad Hill so you've beaten that. That's a very good result but would be interesting to see it tested in a different setting as school beep tests are usually not completely accurate

JMan5

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North Queensland Cowboys
The highest was 16.6 by Billy Hartung just last year, before that it was 16.1 by Brad Hill so you've beaten that. That's a very good result but would be interesting to see it tested in a different setting as school beep tests are usually not completely accurate
Yeah I know. I'd like to see what I get if i did the draft camp beep test. 16.6 though. I've still got a bit to go!:)

ben_1301

Team Captain
Jul 5, 2005
Berwick
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Berwick
PE teachers will generally use the 2/3 netball court line to mark out the test, problem is this is only 19m not the correct 20m.

Best i ever did was 15.8 when i was playing high level bball, right now id be lucky to get double figures though

hawka86

Debutant
Jan 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
hey guys,
whats the best device for tracking kms run, sprint speeds, etc.
i play footy and after watching the recruit i was wondering what the program that burgess uses to track all these and what he uses.

thanks.

FullBack30

Debutant
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
hey guys,
i play footy and after watching the recruit i was wondering what the program that burgess uses to track all these and what he uses.

thanks.
I use an iphone app called runkeeper, uses gps to track where you run and how far, how fast, speed and all that, there are a few like that around for free

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
hey guys,

thanks.

Well using what Darren Burgess uses costs a whole lot, they're using proper GPS devices such as Catapult Sports or GPSports stuff. You can use a phone app, but obviously its accuracy when it comes to speeds are going to be way off. If just running around the block it's accuracy for how much you've run will be okay.

JMan5

Club Legend
Aug 18, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
North Queensland Cowboys
PE teachers will generally use the 2/3 netball court line to mark out the test, problem is this is only 19m not the correct 20m.
We actually measured out 20m with a measuring tape on a basketball court.

NagoyaDog

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray FC
Scheduled to do a beep test as part of a series of tests for a position this month.

In preparation, I have been using the treadmill. Found an online site that suggested starting at 8km/h and increasing speed by 0.5 km/h every minute. The treadmill is also configuted with a 1% incline to best replicate ground running.

Have done this 12 times and my best is 14m 40s(getting to 15km/h). Anyone know how that would translate for a beep test?

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
hey guys,

thanks.

they track speeds, change of directions, collisions etc and the velocity of each of those to calculate total player load which you'll never get from an app unfortunately

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Scheduled to do a beep test as part of a series of tests for a position this month.

In preparation, I have been using the treadmill. Found an online site that suggested starting at 8km/h and increasing speed by 0.5 km/h every minute. The treadmill is also configuted with a 1% incline to best replicate ground running.

Have done this 12 times and my best is 14m 40s(getting to 15km/h). Anyone know how that would translate for a beep test?

i wouldn't be convinced with its transferabilty over to the real test

#1 - treadmills aren't the same as running on the ground obviously as the tready basically does your hi extension for you and not your glutes which will fatigue early on the ground

#2 - the turns on the real test means deceleration, change of direction then acceleration is key but you don't get that on the treadmill

NagoyaDog

Team Captain
Mar 25, 2008
Williamstown
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray FC
i wouldn't be convinced with its transferabilty over to the real test

#1 - treadmills aren't the same as running on the ground obviously as the tready basically does your hi extension for you and not your glutes which will fatigue early on the ground

#2 - the turns on the real test means deceleration, change of direction then acceleration is key but you don't get that on the treadmill

Appreciate the feedback!

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
as a mid it wouldn't be great

big forward it might be good and ruckman maybe pretty good but teams love the 20m sprint though - have you tested that?

dangerfield runs 100 in less than 11secs with a 20m sprint of 2.7 or something so that's the top end

a 20m under 3secs is slow by afl standards and it's all about acceleration as that is highly trainable compared to top speed which is highly genetic

as a mid it wouldn't be great

big forward it might be good and ruckman maybe pretty good but teams love the 20m sprint though - have you tested that?

dangerfield runs 100 in less than 11secs with a 20m sprint of 2.7 or something so that's the top end

a 20m under 3secs is slow by afl standards and it's all about acceleration as that is highly trainable compared to top speed which is highly genetic
He's a CHB/ Goddard type utility

His 20m is 3.0

Best was 13.8 when in year 7. Haven't done a beep test since, but I'm now in year 11, 49cm taller and 15kg heavier. Not sure how I'd go, body is still growing at a rapid rate.

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Best was 13.8 when in year 7. Haven't done a beep test since, but I'm now in year 11, 49cm taller and 15kg heavier. Not sure how I'd go, body is still growing at a rapid rate.

Would never've pictured you as a 1997 baby.

Would you be one of those who hated it?

Back