Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
Download the Nike+ app and get running around an oval. Increase your distance by 500m every 2 days and set time targets for each km or so then try better it

Small Moves

Premiership Player
Aug 20, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Texans, Texas A&M, Rockets
So I'm undergoing some fitness testing soon and I need a minimum 10.1 in the beep test to pass. I remember at school I used to run in the 11's somewhere, so this might be a struggle.

What's the best way to train for it? Just do weekly beep tests and look to improve each time? HIIT?

10.1? I'm doing a beep test of the same standard this week for a certain physical assessment ......

I used to be knocking on the door of level 13 a couple of years back when I was playing WAFL colts however I was only able to get 8.5 when I first tested six weeks ago. Mixed it up with some distance running (4-5k's), interval running and sprints, and I managed 11.4 on Thursday. This is all on top of my regular crossfit 4x per week.

No doubt I regained some running fitness, but I think being in the right mindset with a pacing strategy is the key to an extra couple of levels. Every time I felt like giving up on those runs I'd push a little bit harder every time. When I did the beep test again the mental barrier was nowhere near as bad, and 10.1 came up so much easier.

frotherr_

Debutant
Mar 5, 2015
Phillip Island
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Phillip Island Football Club
I did it today and got level 14.4 however this could be inaccurate for a number of reasons - uphill/downhill: was running on a slant
- innacurate measuring: could be slightly longer/shorter than 20m
- technical: had a 7 second extra break around level 5.2 because my phone muddled up

So I reckon if you take this into account it'd probably be mid/high 13's. Thoughts?

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Need to get myself fit ASAP. I havnt been able to run properly for 7 years since I had dislocated my kneecap and tore the ligaments and also Achilles problems in the same leg (might be some kind of relationship there?). Couldn't be bothered getting surgery at the time so it's taken this damn long to heal enough for running. Went for a jog last week at 3/4 pace and couldn't even last 750m in one go.... felt like throwing up and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest... was going at 170-180 beats per minute (I have a natural low heart rate). Is this a normal feeling?? or should I see a doctor? Kinda confused and felt really sht for at least 2 hours and got headaches and all that. Scared I might have heart disease or something... In 6 years I've only put on like 3-5kg of fat probably so it's not from being overweight...

I've never been unfit as I am now. When I was 16 my PB for beep test was 17.2 and really want to get to at least 15 in 6 months. Just not sure on the pain and nausea I was feeling... I guess it's because I'm unfit? shock to the system? tips for someone coming back from injury after long time on the sidelines? will cycling help as it will have less stress on my knee? Thank you.

Need to get myself fit ASAP. I havnt been able to run properly for 7 years since I had dislocated my kneecap and tore the ligaments and also Achilles problems in the same leg (might be some kind of relationship there?). Couldn't be bothered getting surgery at the time so it's taken this damn long to heal enough for running. Went for a jog last week at 3/4 pace and couldn't even last 750m in one go.... felt like throwing up and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest... was going at 170-180 beats per minute (I have a natural low heart rate). Is this a normal feeling?? or should I see a doctor? Kinda confused and felt really sht for at least 2 hours and got headaches and all that. Scared I might have heart disease or something... In 6 years I've only put on like 3-5kg of fat probably so it's not from being overweight...

I've never been unfit as I am now. When I was 16 my PB for beep test was 17.2 and really want to get to at least 15 in 6 months. Just not sure on the pain and nausea I was feeling... I guess it's because I'm unfit? shock to the system? tips for someone coming back from injury after long time on the sidelines? will cycling help as it will have less stress on my knee? Thank you.
It sounds like reaching anywhere near level 15 is going to be a stretch. Maybe lower your expectations a little if you think you have major soft tissue issues and heart problems.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

You sure this was a proper beep test? 17.2 is extremely elite at age 16. Youd basically be the fittest player in the afl

You sure this was a proper beep test? 17.2 is extremely elite at age 16. Youd basically be the fittest player in the afl

I think it's easier as a 16yo rather than as an AFL player. I have no doubt, no AFL player today could have kept up with me "back in the day".

The key advantage is weight, being 60kg vs an AFL player who has to lug around an extra 20kg.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I think it's easier as a 16yo rather than as an AFL player. I have no doubt, no AFL player today could have kept up with me "back in the day".

The key advantage is weight, being 60kg vs an AFL player who has to lug around an extra 20kg.
Yeah but still, the kids going to draft camp are extremely light aswell and the record is around 16.6.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
either way start with low impact modes like bike, boxing, x trainer as well as bodyweight circuits and at this point go for more exercise time rather then intensity

do something like this:

session 1 - 3 x 5mins with 5mins rest
session 2 - 4 x 5
session 3 - 5 x 5
session 4 - 3 x 5 w/ 4mins rest
session 5 - 4 x 5
session 6 - 5 x 5
and so on until you reach 25mins without rest

then simply increase to 30, 35mins etc until you can get tp 45 - 60mins

again don't go hard and you'll have to go slower then you think you need to...there's no point almost dying everytime you get active as you wonlt get fitter at all and you'll just hurt yourself

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I was tall and skinny. 192 cm and weighed like 74 kg at the time. Also running is in the family with my aunty actually at one time was the fastest 16 year old in the world over middle distance running (4-10km). I guess genetics played a part but that only gets you so far you need the commitment and drive to succeed which my aunty and I lacked.

It was with the senior team straight after junior training and it was a proper beep test (well as much as you can get at footy training) but was on grass... probably could have went higher actually if it was indoors and I hadn't just finished a 2 hour training session with my team.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
either way start with low impact modes like bike, boxing, x trainer as well as bodyweight circuits and at this point go for more exercise time rather then intensity

do something like this:

session 1 - 3 x 5mins with 5mins rest
session 2 - 4 x 5
session 3 - 5 x 5
session 4 - 3 x 5 w/ 4mins rest
session 5 - 4 x 5
session 6 - 5 x 5
and so on until you reach 25mins without rest

then simply increase to 30, 35mins etc until you can get tp 45 - 60mins

again don't go hard and you'll have to go slower then you think you need to...there's no point almost dying everytime you get active as you wonlt get fitter at all and you'll just hurt yourself
cheers. It was an eye opener that's for sure. I knew my running would not have been as good as when I was younger but didn't expect myself to struggle as bad as I was. I think I'll start out cycling a lot more than running just to stress test my knee and get some blood flow happening. Going to be a long road ahead of me but I'm just hoping for some of the 'muscle memory' to kick in. I spoke to a doctor today actually and he thinks my body was suffering from shock after 6-7 years of no aerobic exercise.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Acc to topend sports 17.2 would be the highest beep test recorded by a male

Yeah I'm going to hazard a guess that the 20m wasn't marked out properly, or it was even the 15m version.

17.2 after 2 hours of football training would make you one of the fittest people in history.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I'm going to hazard a guess that the 20m wasn't marked out properly, or it was even the 15m version.

17.2 after 2 hours of football training would make you one of the fittest people in history.
it was definitely 20m. I don't care if anyone thinks otherwise, I'm only on here trying to get some tips to regain fitness after a fairly severe injury a few years ago. FWIW it was my PB not like I ran that every time I done a beep test. I averaged around 16.6 or so just that night I done 17.2 I just felt really good, I would have kept going if my legs didn't fail on me...

I've heard marathon runners get 18+

Training Mad

All Australian
Nov 16, 2011
The Big Apple
AFL Club
St Kilda
Get on the boxing bag do 3min rounds 1min rest start with 4 rounds and keep working up to 10 or 12 rounds. You could either just punch or do combos say round 1 (left jab right cross) round 2 (double left jab right cross) round 3 (left jab right cross left hook) get the picture

Brad Goodman

His name isn't important
Oct 7, 2002
AFL Club
Collingwood
it was definitely 20m. I don't care if anyone thinks otherwise, I'm only on here trying to get some tips to regain fitness after a fairly severe injury a few years ago. FWIW it was my PB not like I ran that every time I done a beep test. I averaged around 16.6 or so just that night I done 17.2 I just felt really good, I would have kept going if my legs didn't fail on me...

I've heard marathon runners get 18+

Nobody in recorded history has ever got 18. Not saying you haven't got 17.2, but it would be the highest ever documented score.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nobody in recorded history has ever got 18. Not saying you haven't got 17.2, but it would be the highest ever documented score.
Just a quick browse through high level running forums shows that 17.2 is a good result it's hardly uncommon. Just remember I was 192cm or so and weighed in at 74kg. Been running since I was 5, lived a healthy active lifestyle while also having elite runners in the family (world champion). But what ever...

Sultan

All Australian
Sep 16, 2014
Essendon via Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GWS

After 7 years this is hardly surprising. It will be very hard to get started, but push through it and you'll be OK. Your 2nd run won't be as bad and you'll cover more ground - probably another 250m.

Just a quick browse through high level running forums shows that 17.2 is a good result it's hardly uncommon. Just remember I was 192cm or so and weighed in at 74kg. Been running since I was 5, lived a healthy active lifestyle while also having elite runners in the family (world champion). But what ever...

10 more years on BF will turn that around

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
the top guy at the Oakleigh Chargers got 15.3 the other day. I dunno about this 17.2 buiso - that seems insane.

I was chatting to some colts boys from one of the WAFL clubs over here who were invited to testing for next year's state squad the other day, and they said the top runner finished in the 15s too.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
might have been the yoyo test unless he's the best 10yr old runner in the country

Or they didn’t measure the distance between end points correctly

Back