The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Excellent. A beer thread.

Of the Oz mainstream beers, I like best Coopers Green Label, Coopers IPA, Boags, and Cascade. Maybe then 4X.

Oz has too many boutique beers to comment on (or sample) but of the ones I tried, Little Creatures IPA, and Miss Match (an Adelaide boutique beer), hit the spot.

The US has a great range of beers and you are sure to find quite a few to like. I go for Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Shiner Bock (a Texas beer), Stone IPA, and Pliny the Elder from the Russian River Brewing Company in Petaluma CA (Napa Valley area north of San Francisco, not far from where I live).

I also usually have in the beer fridge the Brit beer Boddingtons Pub Ale - buy it in the pint cans and it pours like a Guinness - and a few cans of Sapporo.

Some of the boutique beers try too hard imo, and taste weird. Currently am in Prescott AZ and a few days ago was in my usual bar on Whiskey Row - Matt's Saloon, a traditional Western bar

http://www.mattssaloon.com/home.php

and noticed they had on tap a new beer - peanut butter beer. I tried a sampler glass. It had a nose on it like a Kahlua, but tasted totally different from that -more like a honey bitter. I finished the sampler slowly, and then moved onto an IPA to cleanse the palate...

The US has a great range of beers and you are sure to find quite a few to like. I go for Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Shiner Bock (a Texas beer), Stone IPA, and Pliny the Elder from the Russian River Brewing Company in Petaluma CA (Napa Valley area north of San Francisco, not far from where I live).

I'd kill for one of those (or supplication / consecration). Care to help a brother out? :p

A mate of mine just came back from Vermont and brought me back a Heady Topper. It was absolutely incredible.

Excellent. A beer thread.

Of the Oz mainstream beers, I like best Coopers Green Label, Coopers IPA, Boags, and Cascade. Maybe then 4X.

Oz has too many boutique beers to comment on (or sample) but of the ones I tried, Little Creatures IPA, and Miss Match (an Adelaide boutique beer), hit the spot.

I also usually have in the beer fridge the Brit beer Boddingtons Pub Ale - buy it in the pint cans and it pours like a Guinness - and a few cans of Sapporo.

Some of the boutique beers try too hard imo, and taste weird. Currently am in Prescott AZ and a few days ago was in my usual bar on Whiskey Row - Matt's Saloon, a traditional Western bar

http://www.mattssaloon.com/home.php

and noticed they had on tap a new beer - peanut butter beer. I tried a sampler glass. It had a nose on it like a Kahlua, but tasted totally different from that -more like a honey bitter. I finished the sampler slowly, and then moved onto an IPA to cleanse the palate...

Thanks for joining the conversation Delta. US craft beers are amongst the finest in the world. This is my favourite US beer at the moment. It retails for around $35 per six pack here but is well worth the money!

images

Thanks for joining the conversation Delta. US craft beers are amongst the finest in the world. This is my favourite US beer at the moment. It retails for around $35 per six pack here but is well worth the money!

images
Never tried it - I'll check out my supermarket tomorrow.

Outrageous price in Oz.

Never tried it - I'll check out my supermarket tomorrow.

Outrageous price in Oz.

It is very pricey. Most of the US IPAs are between $22-$28 dollars. The Sierra Nevada range of beers are very popular and widespread here.

It is very pricey. Most of the US IPAs are between $22-$28 dollars. The Sierra Nevada range of beers are very popular and widespread here.
$11.00 is about the top price for a 6 pack of good IPAs in most states here. Less if you join the supermarket/liquor store discount club (for free). If I was gonna pay $28.00 I think I would go for a decent bottle of wine (or gin) instead.

PS I like Sierra Nevada too. To 'fess up, I like nearly all beers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$11.00 is about the top price for a 6 pack of good IPAs in most states here. Less if you join the supermarket/liquor store discount club (for free). If I was gonna pay $28.00 I think I would go for a decent bottle of wine (or gin) instead.

PS I like Sierra Nevada too. To 'fess up, I like nearly all beers.

I'm moving to the states.

I'm moving to the states.

Hey jmac - just did a supermarket run and picked up a 6 pack of your favorite beer Deschutes IPA for $10.99. And a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada $9.49. Just to keep the coyotes at bay...

The Deschutes is a nice drop - having some as I type - but maybe a tad on the sweet side for me - Stone IPA is a bit tangier.

Hey jmac - just did a supermarket run and picked up a 6 pack of your favorite beer Deschutes IPA for $10.99. And a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada $9.49. Just to keep the coyotes at bay...

The Deschutes is a nice drop - having some as I type - but maybe a tad on the sweet side for me - Stone IPA is a bit tangier.
EDIT - On my second glass and it is growing on me - would be one of the best IPA's I've sampled.

we get seriously shafted in Australia for beer prices, particularly as regards craft beers thanks to the govt taxing all beer according to alcohol volume. In the US breweries get taxed according to the total volume of beer they produce, so small breweries pay much less tax per bottle than their multi-national counterparts..... a good & fair system which gives incentives to small operators making interesting beers and one we would do well to emulate.

The Sierra Nevada beers are awesome.... I do struggle with the hyper-hoppy IPA's though.

EDIT - On my second glass and it is growing on me - would be one of the best IPA's I've sampled.

I just can't believe how cheap it is. Bloody Australia is hopeless.

This is my all time favourite IPA and beer. Brewed in South Australia it retails at $12 per can. Granted the cans are 500 mil and have an alcoholic volume of 8.3%. Four of these babies and you will feel fine...

images

we get seriously shafted in Australia for beer prices, particularly as regards craft beers thanks to the govt taxing all beer according to alcohol volume. In the US breweries get taxed according to the total volume of beer they produce, so small breweries pay much less tax per bottle than their multi-national counterparts..... a good & fair system which gives incentives to small operators making interesting beers and one we would do well to emulate.

The Sierra Nevada beers are awesome.... I do struggle with the hyper-hoppy IPA's though.
Try Coopers IPA - a recent release. I sunk a few when back in Oz a few months ago. Good price too.

This is my all time favourite IPA and beer. Brewed in South Australia it retails at $12 per can. Granted the cans are 500 mil and have an alcoholic volume of 8.3%. Four of these babies and you will feel fine...

images

images

I think 8.3% is a bit much for a beer. I made some home brew back in the day and tweaked the numbers so that it came out at DEFCON 1 (the highest alert level) strength. But not much use when you and your guests are bombed after 2 beers...

5% - 6% is my sweet spot. Much higher and I will go for a mai tai.

I think 8.3% is a bit much for a beer. I made some home brew back in the day and tweaked the numbers so that it came out at DEFCON 1 (the highest alert level) strength. But not much use when you and your guests are bombed after 2 beers...

5% - 6% is my sweet spot. Much higher and I will go for a mai tai.

I agree to a point but this is one hell of a beer. Certainly doesn't drink like a super strong beer. I definitely only ever have one....or two...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back