The beer thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 9, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I love strong beers. A well balanced strong ale hides the alcoholic content well. I had a Heady Topper the other week which was and 8% imperial IPA. It was comfortably the best and most balanced beer I have ever had.

I have also had an imperial stout by Evil Twin called Bozo Beer. It was 17.2% and was absolutely incredible. I also have another imperial stout in my cellar that is 18%. Higher alcohol beers allows the brewer to add layers of flavour.

Last edited:
Bought a six pack of these today.

images

I have tried many beers but I can honestly say this is the most disgusting I have ever had. It is so tart it makes your eyes water.

I'm sure lots of people like it but I'm going to have to take the remaining five back. Truly horrible.

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tried the Yenda golden ale.

4028596.jpg

Not bad but not great. A little gutless for mine (initial thought was "is this a lite beer?", but it does goes down easy. Mouth-feel and middle are pretty thin.

I probably wouldn't get it again as it's not really my thing, but can see that some would like it.

Tried the Yenda golden ale.

4028596.jpg

Not bad but not great. A little gutless for mine (initial thought was "is this a lite beer?", but it does goes down easy. Mouth-feel and middle are pretty thin.

I probably wouldn't get it again as it's not really my thing, but can see that some would like it.

I've had this one. Reminded me of Richmond...lacking substance.

Excellent. A beer thread.

Of the Oz mainstream beers, I like best Coopers Green Label, Coopers IPA, Boags, and Cascade. Maybe then 4X.

Oz has too many boutique beers to comment on (or sample) but of the ones I tried, Little Creatures IPA, and Miss Match (an Adelaide boutique beer), hit the spot.

The US has a great range of beers and you are sure to find quite a few to like. I go for Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Shiner Bock (a Texas beer), Stone IPA, and Pliny the Elder from the Russian River Brewing Company in Petaluma CA (Napa Valley area north of San Francisco, not far from where I live).

I also usually have in the beer fridge the Brit beer Boddingtons Pub Ale - buy it in the pint cans and it pours like a Guinness - and a few cans of Sapporo.

Some of the boutique beers try too hard imo, and taste weird. Currently am in Prescott AZ and a few days ago was in my usual bar on Whiskey Row - Matt's Saloon, a traditional Western bar

http://www.mattssaloon.com/home.php

and noticed they had on tap a new beer - peanut butter beer. I tried a sampler glass. It had a nose on it like a Kahlua, but tasted totally different from that -more like a honey bitter. I finished the sampler slowly, and then moved onto an IPA to cleanse the palate...

Hey mate, I'm giving the Stone IPA a try. Big hop flavour without the high alcohol content. Very nice indeed, great beer for BBQ session in summer.

GoToIPA_6pack.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DAWESOME!!

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have not tasted the rice lager. What's the flavour like?
Very drinkable and clean. It is more carbonated than normal. A bit more malt.than you might expect and just a hint of bitterness.

I reckon it's a sessional beer. I could see that you could very easily sit and drink one after another in a session.

Well worth a try.

Very drinkable and clean. It is more carbonated than normal. A bit more malt.than you might expect and just a hint of bitterness.

I reckon it's a sessional beer. I could see that you could very easily sit and drink one after another in a session.

Well worth a try.

Will give it a crack!

The Kung Foo has looked after me alright this morning. Not feeling too worse for wear despite finishing them all (and a couple of scotches)

I too indulged in some scotch last night, but am feeling alright. Going to the local footy today and will be having $5 cans of Mountain Goat.

Asahi available for $15 for a six pack at Coles this week.
Not a great beer but it has that nice crisp taste which I like in a beer

I don't mind it on a hot day. Has to be ice cold though.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
I don't mind it on a hot day. Has to be ice cold though.

Japan has some great biirus. Light and refreshing. Good crisp taste. I lived there for 5 years (3 in Yokohama and 2 in Tokyo) in the previous decade and felt culturally obliged to work my way thru a lot of them, especially the nama biiru (draft beers in cans and on tap) in the small bars and restaurants.

The ones I like, which are also available outside Japan, are Asahi Super Dry, Yebisu Premium, Kirin, Sapporo. Other than on tap, they are best in large cans/tins if you can find them.

Japan has a very strong drinking culture, and our corporate entertainment KPIs involved nocturnal processing of quantities of sake and Japanese whisky with our Japanese partners, with various food products, not excluding nicely diced K9.

I often drank Japanese beer as the hair of the dog, and as part of recuperative if not contemplative Sunday brunches with miso and fresh sashimi. Oishi-no.

As they say, Kampai!

Japan has some great biirus. Light and refreshing. Good crisp taste. I lived there for 5 years (3 in Yokohama and 2 in Tokyo) in the previous decade and felt culturally obliged to work my way thru a lot of them, especially the nama biiru (draft beers in cans and on tap) in the small bars and restaurants.

The ones I like, which are also available outside Japan, are Asahi Super Dry, Yebisu Premium, Kirin, Sapporo. Other than on tap, they are best in large cans/tins if you can find them.

Japan has a very strong drinking culture, and our corporate entertainment KPIs involved nocturnal processing of quantities of sake and Japanese whisky with our Japanese partners, with various food products, not excluding nicely diced K9.

I often drank Japanese beer as the hair of the dog, and as part of recuperative if not contemplative Sunday brunches with miso and fresh sashimi. Oishi-no.

As they say, Kampai!

Spot on. Japanese beer is awesome. I have a really cool Japanese restaurant near me and they do over 40 craft beers. Had this one the other day with a bowl of noodles. Gold.

images

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Spot on. Japanese beer is awesome. I have a really cool Japanese restaurant near me and they do over 40 craft beers. Had this one the other day with a bowl of noodles. Gold.

images
Dai dia biiru. Persimmon. Never saw it before. Japan must be doing craft beers now like everyone else. Is it tangy?

Dai dia biiru. Persimmon. Never saw it before. Japan must be doing craft beers now like everyone else. Is it tangy?

Has a slightly lighter flavour than traditional IPAs. They also do a very nice stout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back