The Beer Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Stopped in for the mandatory pint after a round of golf and noticed a new beer, not exactly shocked but it turns out Great Northern super crisp larger is ****ing horrible.

Dan Murphy's were selling a six pack for $10 as part of their members card specials for this month. I bought a 6 pack, had 1 and ended up putting the other 5 in the fridge at work. Terrible beer ! What seems like a new brewer is actually CUB.

This isn't strictly about beer either, but it's beer related...

I was at that Liquorshed next to Spudshed yesterday (they don't sell Big Head either incidentally :() and the girl behind the counter talked me into buying this Chewy Mooey beef jerky. She promised I would love it.

She wasn't wrong! Best. Beef. Jerky. Ever. And only made with stuff you have in your kitchen. And they're from Perth.

It's expensive but I highly recommend it.

http://chewymooey.com.au/

Last time I saw it was at DeVine Cellars in Bedford.

I am an absolute beer tragic. Got into craft beers about 5 years ago and have never looked back. It's a damn deep rabbit hole (also burns a deep hold in the wallet).

My favourite style would be Lambic closely followed by imperial stouts and then imperial IPA's.

Favourite breweries would be Cantillon, Evil Twin, Mikkeller, Brooklyn Brewery, most Belgian breweries, Garage Project, Feral, 8 Wired, 7 Cent, Stone et al

Strong list of favourites! Had a pretty big crafties drinking night with a mate and Matt from 7 Cent (they work together) - he is a great bloke and wealth of knowledge. At that stage I had just purchased my BIAB setup so was sponging every word.

Brewed a Grapefruit Sculpin on Saturday so keen to see how that turns out

Strong list of favourites! Had a pretty big crafties drinking night with a mate and Matt from 7 Cent (they work together) - he is a great bloke and wealth of knowledge. At that stage I had just purchased my BIAB setup so was sponging every word.

Brewed a Grapefruit Sculpin on Saturday so keen to see how that turns out

7 Cent are doing some rally good things at the moment.

The grapefruit IPA sounds great. Haven't had the Ballast Point Grapefruit Scuplin but have had their Sculpin which I love.

Keen to get into some brewing.

7 Cent are doing some rally good things at the moment.

The grapefruit IPA sounds great. Haven't had the Ballast Point Grapefruit Scuplin but have had their Sculpin which I love.

Keen to get into some brewing.

Yeah their freeze distilled porter is pouring in Melbourne now I think. Over 20% ABV!

Grapefruit sculpin isnt available here so I have nothing to compare it to, but found a recipe that the guys from Ballast Point said is pretty bang on. Uses about 8 different hops, though, so I simplified the hop bill to keep it economical.

Have you heard of or tried Fortitude Brewing (Qld) beers before? I just got an email from them to try their beer as I run a craft beer social media page. Keen to see what they are all about. Its a good Wednesday morning when someone emails you saying they will post you free beer.

Over 20% ABV!
mother_of_god_gif_by_jackehthetroll-d76ilkw.gif

Yeah their freeze distilled porter is pouring in Melbourne now I think. Over 20% ABV!

Grapefruit sculpin isnt available here so I have nothing to compare it to, but found a recipe that the guys from Ballast Point said is pretty bang on. Uses about 8 different hops, though, so I simplified the hop bill to keep it economical.

Have you heard of or tried Fortitude Brewing (Qld) beers before? I just got an email from them to try their beer as I run a craft beer social media page. Keen to see what they are all about. Its a good Wednesday morning when someone emails you saying they will post you free beer.

Damn, would love to try that Porter. I am over in Melbourne next week for work, do you know where it is pouring? I always head over to Tru Bru when I am over to grab some bottle fills.

I have heard of Fortitude but haven't had any of their beer. Have only heard good things though.

What is the social media page you run? I am part of a few groups on Facebook. Some good (and funny) discussion on there.

Damn, would love to try that Porter. I am over in Melbourne next week for work, do you know where it is pouring? I always head over to Tru Bru when I am over to grab some bottle fills.

I have heard of Fortitude but haven't had any of their beer. Have only heard good things though.

What is the social media page you run? I am part of a few groups on Facebook. Some good (and funny) discussion on there.

It was at the Alehouse Project until the 26th. However, the last keg of their shiraz barrel aged sour cherry porter gets tapped at Carwyn Cellars this week. Their event lasts 10 days but the 7 Cent beer likely will not.

Check out @thecraftbeerbrief on Instagram or facebook.com/thecraftbeerbrief

The FB page is new (and I am learning how limited it is to reach an audience unless you pay money!). The Insta feed is my real baby, haha. Have been working on that for almost a year now Id say.

I love what Tru Bru are doing hey. Really need to get over there and chat to them. Its a great business model that is easy to replicate, say, here in WA... :D

It was at the Alehouse Project until the 26th. However, the last keg of their shiraz barrel aged sour cherry porter gets tapped at Carwyn Cellars this week. Their event lasts 10 days but the 7 Cent beer likely will not.

Check out @thecraftbeerbrief on Instagram or facebook.com/thecraftbeerbrief

The FB page is new (and I am learning how limited it is to reach an audience unless you pay money!). The Insta feed is my real baby, haha. Have been working on that for almost a year now Id say.

I love what Tru Bru are doing hey. Really need to get over there and chat to them. Its a great business model that is easy to replicate, say, here in WA... :D

What's the set up at Carwyn? Might have to make the trek out there. That sour sounds intriguing. I had the Edge Cherry Popper but was a little underwhelming.

Following your Insta now. I go by my Bigfooty name. Most of the pics ar eof my dog but I have a few beers from when I was over in NY. My Mrs has taken over the dog pics on her Insta so I might go more beer focused now.

Yeh Anton is a legend with great customer service. I have actually strongly considered setting something up over here. COuld be a tough market to crack given Mane, Cellarbrations Carlisle and IBS (somewhat) are doing a very good job in the market. Mane getting into Collab brews with Eagles Bay is a great initiative.

What's the set up at Carwyn? Might have to make the trek out there. That sour sounds intriguing. I had the Edge Cherry Popper but was a little underwhelming.

Following your Insta now. I go by my Bigfooty name. Most of the pics ar eof my dog but I have a few beers from when I was over in NY. My Mrs has taken over the dog pics on her Insta so I might go more beer focused now.

Yeh Anton is a legend with great customer service. I have actually strongly considered setting something up over here. COuld be a tough market to crack given Mane, Cellarbrations Carlisle and IBS (somewhat) are doing a very good job in the market. Mane getting into Collab brews with Eagles Bay is a great initiative.

Carwyn have 3 or 4 taps set up I believe, though Im not familiar with whether you can consume on site or if its more a growler station.

Depends on your area as to your competition. I am a 5 minute drive from Freo's new headquarters so theres nothing close to us except Cellarbrations Superstore Hami Hill who now have taps running for growler fills.

If you have great product you will generate sales. Cellarbrations Willagee forked out for a Pegas system with the 4 keg carousel but move very little stock as its not marketed too heavily.

All this beer talk is making me thirsty! Only a week and a bit until International IPA Day!! :cry::cry:

Carwyn have 3 or 4 taps set up I believe, though Im not familiar with whether you can consume on site or if its more a growler station.

Depends on your area as to your competition. I am a 5 minute drive from Freo's new headquarters so theres nothing close to us except Cellarbrations Superstore Hami Hill who now have taps running for growler fills.

If you have great product you will generate sales. Cellarbrations Willagee forked out for a Pegas system with the 4 keg carousel but move very little stock as its not marketed too heavily.

All this beer talk is making me thirsty! Only a week and a bit until International IPA Day!! :cry::cry:

Yeh, that's the thing, get your product out there. Put the effort into that and you are half way there. What Anton does really well is form strong relationships with brewers. He goes out to their breweries (travels some distances in many cases) and creates significant rapport with them. More often than not, he gets kegs before they are released to the market which is a genuine point of difference. His Bear Club is also a great concept.

Yep, I am thirsty too now. It's good the IBS is on the way home for me :)

Haven't been to DTC but it is high up on the to-do list. Chatted with Joel a few times when I used to frequent Cellars Carlisle (damn they had/have a good selection of Belgians). Really good bloke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beer mail huzzah!! I was hoping the mention of 'anti imperial' meant it actually would be imperial, and I was not let down. Inappropriate after work beer given its a monster..

Was in Melbourne last week. Popped into Beer Deluxe and they had Hargreaves's Hill special release, 'The Phoenix'. It is an absolutely outstanding imperial red ale. Top 3 beers I have had this year, comfortably.

On tap or bottles? Sounds like its a nice one to buy and stash away for a rainy day.

Ive been doing too much of that lately. Keep buying beers I wont let myself drink for years hahaha.

That grapefeuit sculpin IPA came up quite well. I want to do a watermelon and apple cider next, bottle condition it for Summer.

On tap or bottles? Sounds like its a nice one to buy and stash away for a rainy day.

Ive been doing too much of that lately. Keep buying beers I wont let myself drink for years hahaha.

That grapefeuit sculpin IPA came up quite well. I want to do a watermelon and apple cider next, bottle condition it for Summer.

It was on tap but also saw it in bottles at Carwyn Cellars ($50 for a 700ml iirc).

LOL yeh I have a few stashed away as well. Mainly big arsed stouts and a couple of Cantillon Lambics.

I think I saw that sculpin you did on FB and you Insta. Looked delish!

It was on tap but also saw it in bottles at Carwyn Cellars ($50 for a 700ml iirc).

LOL yeh I have a few stashed away as well. Mainly big arsed stouts and a couple of Cantillon Lambics.

I think I saw that sculpin you did on FB and you Insta. Looked delish!

Yeah I floated it around the place. The catch 22 of cellaring the beers you buy, had nothing else to take a photo of!!

Joel at DTC said he has a handful of Grapefruit sculpins incoming so hopefully I get to taste theirs as well and see how far off the mark I am.

I also have some Cantillons parked for a rainy day. Now got Brewdog Dog A, B, C, clout stout 2014, and Westvleteren 8 and 12 along with a Narwhal that has been barrel aged.

Going to need to drink a few bottles of wine to make room for more beer!

Yeah I floated it around the place. The catch 22 of cellaring the beers you buy, had nothing else to take a photo of!!

Joel at DTC said he has a handful of Grapefruit sculpins incoming so hopefully I get to taste theirs as well and see how far off the mark I am.

I also have some Cantillons parked for a rainy day. Now got Brewdog Dog A, B, C, clout stout 2014, and Westvleteren 8 and 12 along with a Narwhal that has been barrel aged.

Going to need to drink a few bottles of wine to make room for more beer!

Nice list!

I have the Brewdog C and King Imp cellaring. Also have a Black Ops 2013 I grabbed when I was in NYC a couple of years ago and a couple of Black Damnations.

Had the Westy 12 before which was amazing! Couldn't wait on my BA Narwhal and cracked that a few months ago.

Nice list!

I have the Brewdog C and King Imp cellaring. Also have a Black Ops 2013 I grabbed when I was in NYC a couple of years ago and a couple of Black Damnations.

Had the Westy 12 before which was amazing! Couldn't wait on my BA Narwhal and cracked that a few months ago.

Heard such good things about the black ops man. I bought the very last bottle at my local then did the righty and gave it to a good mate for his housewarming.

Told him not to drink it without me hahahaha

Not a beer but I did an apple and watermelon cider on Sunday. Its fermented nicely already so will bottle it up next week and bottle condition it in time for Summer.

Its bad just how easy it is to make cider at home. Suppose the difference between good and great cider is pretty big, though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back