The benchmark teams - who we have to beat to show we are improving

Remove this Banner Ad

I've had in my head for a while that there a few benchmarks on field that we need to achieve that will help measure where we are at on the upward scale. These are personal benchmarks for me that will help me tick off the boxes as we march back up the ladder. What are yours?

Mine are
  • We beat Richmond at home. We have struggled to contain the Tigers for 4 quarters and they are a team I have seen, for the past few years, as a couple of years ahead of us in team profile and success. We have both had setbacks and I still see us largely within a couple of years although last year and Leppa's impending clean out might put us a little further back. Nonetheless beating Richmond at The Gabba is probably the first rank of improvement I am looking for.
  • We make the 8. 'Nuff said.
  • We beat Freo at the Gabba. Specifically a Ross Lyon coached Freo. Our boys had the speed and I think even the game plan to beat Freo last weekend but lacked composure, skill and the experienced forwards to make it work. If we can beat the purple wall at home I'll take that as a big sign of improvement.
  • We beat the Hawks in Tassie and/or the Cats at the Cattery (Man it smells there!) - I want us to crack one of those impregnable fortresses (preferably both) and as we are likely to catch both of those lists in their regeneration periods it would be a great achievement for young up and comers to knock off the former champs at home.
  • We beat Sydney. Anywhere. We have been the Swan's bunnies for a while now, I'll leave it to the stats men to confirm or deny my suspicion that they have the longest run of wins/draws against us than another team (possible exception Hawthorn?). Our fellow refugees from the rugby codes seem to have a convincing hold on us and have had such a convincing (if at times dull) winning system that and a hold over us that a Lions v Sydney game feels like a forgone conclusion. We need to beat them.
These are merely discussion points for you, but for me mark the checkboxes of upward success. There are probably others, big and small, but what are the things you want to see that will prove to you that we are on the march to <prepare for hyperbole> September glory. </hyperbole>

What has surprised me this year is that we seem to have increased wins away from home, but decreased at home.

2014: H - 3 A - 4*
2013: H - 7 A - 3
2012: H - 7 A - 3

One of the biggest benchmarks for me is that we start to win 8+ games at the Gabba. That theoretically means we are beating more top 8 teams at home than what we end up losing to. When that is happening, away wins should end up taking care of themselves a little bit more as well. 12 wins 10 losses wouldn't necessarily put us in the 8, but it would have us in the mix and show solid progression that even the 10 wins of the last two seasons didn't really demonstrate (regardless of false ladder position last year).

For next year, to show improvement I'd ideally like to see:
  • A 50-50 or better record at home including one top 4 scalp- ideally Sydney, Hawthorn or Freo to break runs. Like Davemonkey, I get pretty deflated by the inevitability of those losses. In contrast, with a team like Geelong, I think they're going to win but don't totally rule out a win for us. That is a much more enjoyable position.
  • 3+ away wins, including at least one against a team in the 4-10 bracket (e.g. Adelaide, West Coast, Pies (again))
Those two things combined are a pretty big ask, but we should have an easier draw next year so I don't think 9-10 wins is totally out of the question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back