The best draftee of each pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Gazza_11

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking at my Team of the Decade poster I read for about the thousandth time that Nick Riewoldt was the only number one draft pick in that team. And that got me thinking, is he the best number one draft pick of all time? Which players are the best for the draft pick that used for them?

So far I've thought of a few:

1: Nick Riewoldt
2: Nigel Lappin
3: Chris Judd/Justin Leppitsch
4: Matthew Pavlich
5: Luke Power
7: Joel Selwood
31: Paul Chapman
40: Gary Ablett
58: Dane Swan
79: James Hird

Your thoughts? Please post some of your picks up as well. I'll edit this post as we go.

Looking at my Team of the Decade poster I read for about the thousandth time that Nick Riewoldt was the only number one draft pick in that team. And that got me thinking, is he the best number one draft pick of all time? Which players are the best for the draft pick that used for them?

So far I've thought of a few:

Your thoughts? Please post some of your picks up as well.

What...no room for Clive Waterhouse?

I wondered about the F/S rule but ended up just going with it. But yeah, it probably should only count from 2007 onwards when they introduced the bidding process :S

Can anyone think of a better number 40 to replace Ablett?

Would have to agree with the AFL on Peter Metera at pick 4. (dual premiership player, I am sure he has at least 1 B+F, runner up in brownlow medal with 28 votes, Norm Smith Medal, numerous AA selections)

5 goals off a wing on grand final day while being tagged by Mark Bairstow (Geelong Captain)

Clearly gets the nod ahead of Pavlich there

124 – BRAYDEN LYLE (WEST COAST) Played over 100 games not bad from the player to be drafted with pick 124 (last pick of all time i believe)

Curously enough number 2 picks have failed to live up to expectation, most of the time :S

Going through a few Justin Koschitzke, Luke Ball (a bit stiff), Daniel Wells, Andrew Walker and Scott Gumbleton haven't really performed to the level you'd expect from the 'second best player' in a draft. Some of them have been massively outshone by picks 3 & 4.

Jarryd Roughead and Paul Hasleby probably hasn't performed to the level of a number 2 pick, but have served their clubs fairly well.

Some gun Number 2 picks would be Dale Thomas, Anthony Rocca, Brad Ottens and of course Nigel Lappin. The jury is still out on Trent Cotchin and Nick Naitanui, both whom have been pretty good in their few matches.

I really hope Jack Trengove turns out gun!

7: Joel Selwood
31: Paul Chapman
58: Dane Swan

Your thoughts? Please post some of your picks up as well. I'll edit this post as we go.

As much as I love Chappy, I think Simon Black has him beat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wondered about the F/S rule but ended up just going with it. But yeah, it probably should only count from 2007 onwards when they introduced the bidding process :S

Can anyone think of a better number 40 to replace Ablett?

Michael O'Loughlin. I wouldn't count F/S picks, because obviously Ablett would have been drafted a lot earlier if other clubs had been allowed to have a shot at him. Maybe F/S picks should be a sub-section itself, and Ablett would clearly be the best draftee taken under the F/S rule.

Michael O'Loughlin. I wouldn't count F/S picks, because obviously Ablett would have been drafted a lot earlier if other clubs had been allowed to have a shot at him. Maybe F/S picks should be a sub-section itself, and Ablett would clearly be the best draftee taken under the F/S rule.

Well... no. He was not rated terribly highly at the time. 40 was probably about right.

Chris Grant would have to be the best at his pick. I think it was 105, or something around there.

Hill to take over #3 in the future:p

How about worsts overall? A few names come to mind in the top 10, Polak, Sampi, Masten:p etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back