The best finishers of the last 20 years

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Alan Shearer, as a kid it seemed that every time he was in front of goal he scored.
Van Nistlerooy
ADP

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Brazilian Ronaldo #1 for me.

Wouldn't disagree with any of these names but I'd add Fernando Torres to the list as well - at his peak in the mid-late 00's he just did not miss. Falcao too.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
A few from the early end:

Marcelo Salas
Gabriel Batistuta
Romario (Still was pretty good 1996-2002.)
Maybe Torre Andre Flo? Or is that the next tier down?

If Torres is talked about, what about Shevchenko? Class at Milan.

Crespo and Trezeguet knew how to put them away.

Last edited:
Ibra maybe? Prolific pretty much wherever he's been and scored some pretty unbelievable goals (partly due to his extreme acrobatics and flexibility). He's a black belt in taekwondo I think?

I'd also have Klose - particularly for his incredible WC record. Man knows how to poach a goal.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
If you have Messi's name up there, you've got to have Batistuta. One of the big names in Serie A for Fiorentina (Made them a contender) and Roma's 3rd title (the last piece of the puzzle). Not only was he a great package, but he was a deadly finisher. Both for club and country.

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Well fair enough, probably for the same reason why you didn't have Henry. I still think Batistuta is better at finishing than Messi.

What about Huntelaar? Now that's a natural finisher right there. If he had a better all round game, he could've been one of the greats.

Back