Review The best Hawthorn games of the decade (2010-2019)

What is your Hawthorn game of the decade?

• 2014 grand final over Sydney "they've never been better than this"

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • 2013 preliminary final over Geelong "get the hearse for the curse"

Votes: 71 61.2%
  • 2015 grand final over West Coast Eagles "back to back ... to ... back"

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • 2014 preliminary final over Port Adelaide

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 2018, round 2: Hawthorn defeats Geelong by a point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015 preliminary final over Fremantle: Hawks win in the west

• 2012, round 12: Hawthorn defeats North Melbourne "thirteen - THIRTEEN!!!"

• 2012 preliminary final over Adelaide: Stratton at the death

• 2011, round 21: Hawthorn defeats Port Adelaide and sets records

• 2013 grand final over Fremantle - Smith from down town

• Other (please list in comments)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the 2013 prelim votes - both the worst and best game i have been to as we did everything to lose it once again against the cats but held on to win. Should have been a 5 goal win had we kicked straight. Was shaking during that last quarter.

Walking into the 2014 GF i said to my mate it is the biggest game in our history.

We win it is back to back flags for only the 2nd time in our history.

3 flags for our core players stamps them as AFL legends - very few running around with 3 medals. Elevates them to alltime discussion.

We lose it means we have lost 2 of the 3 last GF's which would be a major blight on the era. Plus we lose it is 2 x GF losses to the Swans which would suggest mental scars haven't healed. Ultimate chance to redeem ourselves for our poor goal kicking in 2012 that costs us the flag.

Franklin defecting - great chance to show a team is bigger than an individual.

As it stands was the most satisfying win of them all.

And sticking with the 2014 theme, you had the 10 unanswered goal game against Geelong in round 22. A 56 point turnaround after having been down by 33 - ten minutes into the 3rd quarter.

Not just the one game.

We were a car crash in the 2012 Prelim too, but stole it late.
only in front of goal, in general play were we're pretty dominant.

And sticking with the 2014 theme, you had the 10 unanswered goal game against Geelong in round 22. A 56 point turnaround after having been down by 33 - ten minutes into the 3rd quarter.

At the end of this game, I remember thinking this was one of our best H&A wins we have had. Massive testament to the threepeat side and their ability to come back from nowhere.

Also, Chris Scotts ‘mission accomplished’ statement in his post game presser made it all the better

Maybe I should have gone to school more often :)

still a freaking crazy game
I was right behind the Bud goal as it went through, I actually put my shoulder out when I jumped up thrusting my fist to the sky as it did.

At that very moment I thought to myself: 'something very special is brewing here, we're back, baby!'

To be honest, at that moment I probably expected a flag, possibly two, I did not expect 4 flags from 5 GF appearances, including 3 in a row, in the next 8 seasons. Did anybody?

Would you all be saying the '13 PF was the best game if we had have lost the following? I think not.
You'd be wrong, at least in my case. When the final siren sounded in that Prelim, the fact we'd made another GF was almost an afterthought. As I said to my brothers at the time, we'd "slayed the dragon". Was I happy we went onto win the following week? Of course! But if we'd lost in the GF, it wouldn't have taken the lustre off THAT win against Geelong.

You'd be wrong, at least in my case. When the final siren sounded in that Prelim, the fact we'd made another GF was almost an afterthought. As I said to my brothers at the time, we'd "slayed the dragon". Was I happy we went onto win the following week? Of course! But if we'd lost in the GF, it wouldn't have taken the lustre off THAT win against Geelong.

Agreed, the Grand Final in 2013 was the only reason the Prelim win so significant.
If we had lost to Freo, the Prelim would already be forgotten (by me anyway).

It’s similar to the 1984 Semi Final game against *, which critics rate as one of the greatest games ever. But we then lost the Grand Final. I was at both those games.

The 1984 Semi was on FoxFooty recently and I couldn’t watch it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2013 Prelim all the way for me. I went to every single curse game with my best mate and we left each one shattered. People forget this but up until that game we had a reputation for being chokers - after that we won pretty much every close one anywhere.

Also goes to show how many good points we had that the 2015 prelim doesn't rate top 5 despite it being one of the gutsiest performances of the decade.

What was the game were Sewell kicked the winner in the last minute against the Swans in Sydney?
That was a great game as we were down by 6 or 7 goals at qtr time.

We can all nominate any game we like but you have to be kidding yourself if that 2013 prelim isn't on top.
Best night at the 'G' I have ever experienced.

What was the game were Sewell kicked the winner in the last minute against the Swans in Sydney?
That was a great game as we were down by 6 or 7 goals at qtr time.

We can all nominate any game we like but you have to be kidding yourself if that 2013 prelim isn't on top.
Best night at the 'G' I have ever experienced.
Final home and away game of 2012

Not a game but a brownlow season.

Hank Bulger AKA Shane Crawford.

just had a memory today today of pre season 1999. Family day jumper presentation at glenferrie. Was a good day but when shane hobbled onto the stage to Get his jumper, (looked very proppy) the crowd was understandably subdued. we cheered him anyway.

Turned out to be not much at all red hot favourite for the brownlow (leading most media rankings) and a rare bit of silver for a club trying to get out of a hole

2008 finals series
Not a game but a brownlow season.

Hank Bulger AKA Shane Crawford.

just had a memory today today of pre season 1999. Family day jumper presentation at glenferrie. Was a good day but when shane hobbled onto the stage to Get his jumper, (looked very proppy) the crowd was understandably subdued. we cheered him anyway.

Turned out to be not much at all red hot favourite for the brownlow (leading most media rankings) and a rare bit of silver for a club trying to get out of a hole

Haha Pess, read the thread title :p

Most 'experts' were saying Sydney were the best scoring side with the billion dollar forward line and talking about us like we were a workmanlike side with an average forward line. We were the highest scoring side all year and had the Swans by about 60 goals over the course of the season. Why they focused on their forward line was beyond me. Sometimes a good story can get in the way of pretty simple maths. I suppose they smashed North in the Prelim and we scraped in against Port, maybe that swayed them.

You just can't score against Sydney............ unless you're Hawthorn.

You just can't score against Sydney............ unless you're Hawthorn.
Just watched the whole game with triple m commentary and I must say I was disappointed! It was all about how the swans didn’t come to play with a few ‘ obvious’ comments about some of star players playing well! Contrary to popular belief, the hawks did NOT come out of the blocks smashing swans on the scoreboard, in fact the swans were doing just fine for the first 15 minutes of the game! Then? WHOOSKA!! Good bye ! Our ball movement was second to none those years!
Also, I got more appreciation of Big Boy and Jordan’s game! They were ******* brilliant!

On 2014-2015 grand finals. you need to go back to the sixties to have a team smash the opponents comprehensively. Hawks of the eighties didnt, brisbane didnt
Are you talking Grand Finals? Like in 1983 when the Hawks won by 83 points and 1988 when the Hawks won by 96 points? If they don't constitute a smashing, what does? Is 53 points in 1991 mediocre therefore? Or 42 points in 1986?

Back