The best midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

For a long time our midfield has been our biggest weakness, but it feels like we've finally addressed that for 2019.

We've got a great ruck in Goldtsein, genuine star quality in Higgins, one of the best pure inside mids in the game in Cunnington, with handy inside depth with the addition of Tyson, one of, if not the best tagger in the game in Jacobs. We've finally got class through there with the aforementioned Higgins, but also Polec, Dumont, and Hall, and we've got talented really talented youth that will make up the depth needed for any good midfield in Simpkin, Ahern, and LDU.

I feel like we're in about the 6-8 bracket now, if you were to rank them, but it wouldn't surprise me if our midfield was considered better than that by the end of the season.

Other than that, I think Collingwood's is clearly the best. West Coast is a case of the whole much greater than the sum of its parts. Geelong's was arguably the most disappointing last season, and will be itching to rectify that this year. Essendon's is classy and pacey af but incredibly soft, while Richmond's is probably only behind Collingwood. If Fyfe plays the whole season, then he will single-handedly drag Freo's up there as well because I like their youth mid stocks.

Dangerfield is a champion player. Selwood is still a champion player though not his former self. Ablett was an even better champion player in his day. But as of the end of 2018, the Danger-Selwood-Ablett 'Holy Trinity' has been nothing but a flop.

Cripps, Fisher, Dow, Petreski-Seton, Kennedy, Walsh, Setterfield, Curnow, Stocker, O'Brien, Cuningham and Murphy
Will be best sooner than later. 2020's dynasty is not far away. :p:footy::thumbsu:

Cripps, Fisher, Dow, Petreski-Seton, Kennedy, Walsh, Setterfield, Curnow, Stocker, O'Brien, Cuningham and Murphy
Will be best sooner than later. 2020's dynasty is not far away. :p:footy::thumbsu:
lol.

Just like how Gibbs and Murphy were going to be the best midfield duo in the league.

Laugh all you want. That midfield I listed will be envy of the league is no time at all.
How is Thompson and Hird going down there at Whatever It Takesville ?
Cripps = Gun
Fisher = lol
Dow = May turn out to be very good
SPS = Home sickness will take a hold on him.
Kennedy = So young, yet so cooked already. Little room for improvement.
Walsh = Will turn out to be very good.
Curnow = limited midfield minutes.
Stocker = Another one of Silvagni's genius ideas that will be de-listed in 4 years.
Murphy = lol x2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps = Gun
Fisher = lol
Dow = May turn out to be very good
SPS = Home sickness will take a hold on him.
Kennedy = So young, yet so cooked already. Little room for improvement.
Walsh = Will turn out to be very good.
Curnow = limited midfield minutes.
Stocker = Another one of Silvagni's genius ideas that will be de-listed in 4 years.
Murphy = lol x2
In other words, you got no idea.

Well it might be bias to what I've seen.

It'll be a while before I rate the Bulldogs midfield after watching our guys jogging free in the corridor when we were transitioning from defence at Manuka.

I get they played better games but that just wasn't AFL standard.
You are biased against the dogs in general which doesn't help :)

Our midfield will benefit from having lynch up forward. Caddy, Rioli and Higgins will spend more time in the middle. Townsend is playing more midfield this year too. So he’ll be handy back up. The rest are promising kids but they all have size, speeed and grunt so we might see them in the team for a game or two this year. Look out for Balta too. He can play any position on the ground. Definitely a top 4 midfield.

1st Nankervis Martin Cotchin Prestia
2nd Balta Caddy Lambert Rioli
3rd Soldo Graham Higgins Edwards
Backup:
Weller Townsend Collier-Dawkins Ross

Our midfield will benefit from having lynch up forward. Caddy, Rioli and Higgins will spend more time in the middle. Townsend is playing more midfield this year too. So he’ll be handy back up. The rest are promising kids but they all have size, speeed and grunt so we might see them in the team for a game or two this year. Look out for Balta too. He can play any position on the ground. Definitely a top 4 midfield.

1st Nankervis Martin Cotchin Prestia
2nd Balta Caddy Lambert Rioli
3rd Soldo Graham Higgins Edwards
Backup:
Weller Townsend Collier-Dawkins Ross

Caddy, Weller, Townsend, Rioli are almost exclusively forwards.

Richmonds midfield isn't top 4

The moment Tim Kelly came to the club we finished 8th. Tim Kelly seems to get a lot of the ball and do poor things with it. With him gone the ball with go to Selwood/Danger and then Ablett on the outside to make the critical clearance to Hawkins. Then we win.

The problem last season was Tim Kelly crashing packs and creating stoppages rather than clearances to Hawkins.

Last edited:
West coast is better than some think as we have got rid of the handbrake. With gaff back i reckon its a top four midfield.

Collingwood and melbs stand out top 2.

The influence of one individual is the most overrated thing in the AFL.
It causes the underrating of some of the most important parts of the game.
For some it's like teamwork and most importantly winning are not even factored into when they determine who is the best.

It's the reason why the premier side can have a midfield not rated as the best, even after they add their two best rated midfielders to a midfield that won a premiership without the two playing.

You need to fill 66 positions with 22 players.
22 midfielders when the ball is in dispute, 22 defenders when the opposition has the ball and 22 forwards when in possession of the ball.

When you include the ruckman, which is an essential part of the midfield, Collingwood's is clearly the best midfield in the league on paper.
That doesn't mean it wont get beaten at times next year, but all the talent is there that if it played to its potential most weeks, it should be winning the midfield battle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back