The best midfield

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
All the talk this off season has been about Collingwood’s midfield, and as a Pies supporter, it is very exciting to see some of the names in the articles, but will we find out as quickly as Round 1 who has the best midfield in the competition?

Although all the talk has been about Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Beams, have people neglected the duo down the highway?

March 22nd, we’ll likely have a centre bounce with the above 3 and Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. Who wins that battle?

No doubt, the Pies have a very good midfield, but have the Cats midfield gone under the radar whilst the media talk about Collingwood’s?

There has been far more success, both as a team, and individually, from the midfield down at the Cattery.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Danger is yet to play in a grand final with Cats, Selwood and Abblet played 2 seasons together before Abblet left.

Those 3 just had 1 season together for no finals success, Collingwoods trio played in a winning premiership match. Cats trio are more successful individually.
Fair call re the synergy. I, more-so, meant the Cats duo have played in more Premierships.

I wouldn’t be reading too much into 2018 with those 3, I think we’ll be seeing something better from them together in 2019.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Not sure Collingwood's first need was Dayne Beams, I wonder if his acquisition could hurt the development
of the younger players. Brodie Grundy is Collingwood's most important mid, Geelong would kill to have
Grundy on it's list and the Giants took four pretty average players ahead of Grundy, Lachie Whitfield,
Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Plowman, Kristian Jaksch and Aidan Corr everything is easy in hindsight of
course.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
How I rank the top eight midfields:

1. Melbourne
2. Collingwood
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Richmond
5. West Coast
6. GWS
7. Geelong
8. Adelaide

Geelong’s midfield doesn’t impress me that much anymore. Ablett is done and will play forward pocket. Selwood isn’t far off. Dangerfield is a gun but sprays it. Duncan is good without being great. Kelly is very good. Menegola struggles. Will Dal play predominantly forward? Their ruck stocks are average too. I would have Bulldogs ahead of theirs. Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Libba, Dunkley, Wallis, McLean, etc. is brilliant. Pity about their spine as that midfield will cause problems.

West Coast’s is underrated. Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Redden and Sheed are stars. Plus Nic Nat is the second best ruckman in the comp after Gawn. Collingwood’s is overrated. GWS’s is still thereabouts. Melbourne’s is fantastic and very young so will only get better as the year goes on. They have the best ruckman (Gawn) and tagger (Harmes) in the comp, as well as Oliver (who will be a top five player by the end of the season), Viney and Brayshaw (both elite), plus a supporting cast of Jones, ANB, Vandenberg, Salem, KK and Petracca. The majority of the aforementioned players are under 24. Way more upside than Collingwood’s ageing midfield.

Richmond’s isn’t bad. Two Brownlow medalists, a Norm Smith, multiple All Australians and premierships. A lot more decorated than Collingwood’s, which I’m told by their fans is the best of all time. Essendon’s lacks depth and Adelaide’s is a bit one-paced. Anyone else that hasn’t been mentioned probably isn’t worth mentioning.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Think Collingwood are way too stacked, will play players out of position therefore players will be playing VFL because they have been squeezed out.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
How I rank the top eight midfields:

1. Melbourne
2. Collingwood
3. Western Bulldogs
4. Richmond
5. West Coast
6. GWS
7. Geelong
8. Adelaide

Geelong’s midfield doesn’t impress me that much anymore. Ablett is done and will play forward pocket. Selwood isn’t far off. Dangerfield is a gun but sprays it. Duncan is good without being great. Kelly is very good. Menegola struggles. Will Dal play predominantly forward? Their ruck stocks are average too. I would have Bulldogs ahead of theirs. Bont, Macrae, Hunter, Libba, Dunkley, Wallis, McLean, etc. is brilliant. Pity about their spine as that midfield will cause problems.

West Coast’s is underrated. Gaff, Shuey, Yeo, Redden and Sheed are stars. Plus Nic Nat is the second best ruckman in the comp after Gawn. Collingwood’s is overrated. GWS’s is still thereabouts. Melbourne’s is fantastic and very young so will only get better as the year goes on. They have the best ruckman (Gawn) and tagger (Harmes) in the comp, as well as Oliver (who will be a top five player by the end of the season), Viney and Brayshaw (both elite), plus a supporting cast of Jones, ANB, Vandenberg, Salem, KK and Petracca. The majority of the aforementioned players are under 24. Way more upside than Collingwood’s ageing midfield.

Richmond’s isn’t bad. Two Brownlow medalists, a Norm Smith, multiple All Australians and premierships. A lot more decorated than Collingwood’s, which I’m told by their fans is the best of all time. Essendon’s lacks depth and Adelaide’s is a bit one-paced. Anyone else that hasn’t been mentioned probably isn’t worth mentioning.

Think you are underrating Essendon a little bit.

We haven't got a gun ruck but we have a better ruck then GWS, Geelong and Western Bulldogs, so that gives us a leg up on those sides.

Zach Merrett
Dyson Heppell
Dylan Shiel
David Zaharakis
Devon Smith

Depth with
Andy McGrath
Darcy Parish
David Myers
Josh Begley

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

We haven't got a gun ruck but we have a better ruck then GWS, Geelong and Western Bulldogs, so that gives us a leg up on those sides.

Zach Merrett
Dyson Heppell
Dylan Shiel
David Zaharakis
Devon Smith

Depth with
Andy McGrath
Darcy Parish
David Myers
Josh Begley

Who do you take out of his list without being clearly biast

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Who do you take out of his list without being clearly biast

I dont think the Dogs are as strong as you are saying.

They haven't got a decent ruck. Already hindering their mids.

Wallis
Bontempelli
Macrae
Liberatore
Dunkley
McLean

And as depth they have Caleb Daniel.

Yes they are good names and good players, but they lack depth, a ruck, kicking penetration and pace.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Wallis
Bontempelli
Macrae
Liberatore
Dunkley
McLean

Yes they are good names and good players, but they lack depth, a ruck, kicking penetration and pace.

I haven't said anything about anyone except Collingwood.

But you did leave out a potential AA in Hunter.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC

Zach Merrett
Dyson Heppell
Dylan Shiel
David Zaharakis
Devon Smith

Depth with
Andy McGrath
Darcy Parish
David Myers
Josh Begley

Wallis
Bontempelli
Macrae
Liberatore
Dunkley
McLean

You forgot Hunter, who won their BNF and is a star.

Bontempelli
Hunter
Macrae
Liberatore
Dunkley
McLean
Wallis
Daniel

And Bailey Smith coming through who is supposedly an absolute jet.

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
You forgot Hunter, who won their BNF and is a star.

Bontempelli
Hunter
Macrae
Liberatore
Dunkley
McLean
Wallis
Daniel

And Bailey Smith coming through who is supposedly an absolute jet.

I still think their mids arent as good as what the poster is saying. I think alot of people undervalue the benefits of a good ruck and how he makes an okay midfield into a good midfield group.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I still think their mids arent as good as what the poster is saying. I think alot of people undervalue the benefits of a good ruck and how he makes an okay midfield into a good midfield group.
Fair enough. Each to their own I suppose. Those dogs mids have tasted ultimate success, so they’re proven winners. Lots of upside as well.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
6th?

Naaah.

Ward, Cogs, Hopper, Kelly, Taranto et al are better than that.

We did get beaten in the midfield a few times last year, but we're certainly within range of anyone.

Seems like the OP is confusing team with midfield a bit. West Coast were the best team last year but they don't have the best midfield. It doesn't have to be given their strength in other areas. Similar for the Tigers although they can present a dominant force at the clearances by sending Martin there.

I give it to the Pies last year. Their mids dominated the 4 finals they played. Even WC although they did what they had to do to win.

McOrist

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
The East
AFL Club
Collingwood
1 West Coast -proven mid-field champs, plus can add Gaff back into the side.
2 Collingwood -good last year, now better with Beams.
3 Melbourne -strong rucks and hard-nut on-ballers.
4 GWS -have lost some depth, but their main on-ball group is in their prime.
4 Adelaide -a risky call, but if both Crouch brothers can have a full season, they'll be strong on-ball.
5 Geelong -such top-end talent can't be ignored, but rucks are an issue.
6 Essendon -good outside movers of the ball. Shiel will help, but could do with an 'in and under' type.
7 North Melb -have strong ruck and clearance players and have recruited well in picking up some outside run.
8 Richmond -solid group, but rely too much on Martin. Rucks are a worry.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
All the talk this off season has been about Collingwood’s midfield, and as a Pies supporter, it is very exciting to see some of the names in the articles, but will we find out as quickly as Round 1 who has the best midfield in the competition?

Although all the talk has been about Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Beams, have people neglected the duo down the highway?

March 22nd, we’ll likely have a centre bounce with the above 3 and Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. Who wins that battle?

No doubt, the Pies have a very good midfield, but have the Cats midfield gone under the radar whilst the media talk about Collingwood’s?

There has been far more success, both as a team, and individually, from the midfield down at the Cattery.
Can't judge off one game, certainly not round 1 PieLebo87. Our mid's are dynamic and if we all click, could win the flag. I said, could. That goes for a lot of teams though. Don't forget Tim Kelly too. After an exceptional season last year he could back it up once more and perhaps elevate his game to another level making our engine room even more prolific. We can beat you in round 1, but, we should apply logic and go by what's likely to happen. Furthermore what's likely to happen when it counts. Even if we did knock you off in round 1, for me as you're well aware by now, the Black and White Army will prevail. Additionally being the best doesn't mean you're automatically going to win. It's also about being productive, efficient and get the job done in the heat of the battle.

'' No doubt, the Pies have a very good midfield, but have the Cats midfield gone under the radar whilst the media talk about Collingwood’s? ''

Possibly, but we were s**t last season. As we're all aware things re-set this season and things can change.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
'' but will we find out as quickly as Round 1 who has the best midfield in the competition? ''

Again, going off one game, nah.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

That same midfield group won a premiership without a ruck.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
6th?

Seems like the OP is confusing team with midfield a bit. West Coast were the best team last year but they don't have the best midfield. It doesn't have to be given their strength in other areas. Similar for the Tigers although they can present a dominant force at the clearances by sending Martin there.

100 percent spot on

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
6th?

Naaah.

Ward, Cogs, Hopper, Kelly, Taranto et al are better than that.

We did get beaten in the midfield a few times last year, but we're certainly within range of anyone.

I give it to the Pies last year. Their mids dominated the 4 finals they played. Even WC although they did what they had to do to win.
On paper, your midfield is great. In fact, one of the best, however they don’t function as well as other elite midfields. I have seen them get bullied too many times before.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
On paper, your midfield is great. In fact, one of the best, however they don’t function as well as other elite midfields. I have seen them get bullied too many times before.

Agree, on paper the best or very close to it and great when they play the game on their terms, but they do seem to get bullied a bit in the big games

Back