The best midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne 1st four would be would be best

Gawn, Viney, Oliver, Brayshaw

Pies best centre line-up is

Grundy, Adams, Beams, Sier

That is better than anything the Tigers can put together.

Eagles who knows NN (if fit),Shuey, Redden and Yeo is good.

Why Pies are so good is we have Pendles and Treloar as the rotating options...they were both top 35 in the league for clearances per game in 2018!

Pies individual numbers will most likely drop in 2019, as adding a top 15 clearance player in Beams will mean Pendles, Treloar and Sidey are at even less centre contests...but that is a good thing for our midfield as they are even more dangerous as the running link men.
Let me add that I don't think it's a big deal, more-so an observation.

Melbourne have two top 10 clearance players and the Pies don't have one. But, with your all-round midfield talent, it doesn't overly hurt you.

If Richmond had a more influential tap ruck they'd be top three. Martin, Cotchin and Prestia is an impressive centre square trio.

In 2018 Melbourne averaged 14.2 centre square clearances, which was no.1 and West Coast and Collingwood were no.2 with 12.2.

It highlights Collingwood's all-round midfield talent.

Let me add that I don't think it's a big deal, more-so an observation.

Melbourne have two top 10 clearance players and the Pies don't have one. But, with your all-round midfield talent, it doesn't overly hurt you.

If Richmond had a more influential tap ruck they'd be top three. Martin, Cotchin and Prestia is an impressive centre square trio.

In 2018 Melbourne averaged 14.2 centre square clearances, which was no.1 and West Coast and Collingwood were no.2 with 12.2.

It highlights Collingwood's all-round midfield talent.
Indeed.

Adams was top15 for centre clearances, and we just added Beams who also was top 15.

So we now have two 2018 top 15 centre clearances players, plus the best clearance ruck in the game.

That is compares favourably with all bar Melbourne for that top end quality.

In 2018 Pies had the overall best clearance differential of all teams (+3.7) and we have added Beams

Enjoy those stats I'll take my eye test instead

Hannabal is all about the stats.

Except the ones that dont suit his agenda.

He gets off pumping up his team and his ego from 2018 stats. Even though the Dees were ranked as enjoying the easiest draw out of all sides in 2018 he thinks an easy draw does not affect stats at all.

When someone challenges him he quickly resorts to name calling and other school yard bully boy tactics. Its funny for a while.

Dees are on the right tragectory sure but I will reserve judgement until the end of this season. No easy draw in 2019 ranked 5th difficult so we will get a much better look at their premiership credentials. Wont be surprised which way they go TBH. They should be entering their peak in the next 2-3 years but I tend to doubt sides and clubs who tanked for draft picks. Also have several top line players returning from surgery.

I don't think we can have our group listed high until we see how much McGrath, Langford and Parish will impact from this year on. I think we will know by round 12 whether we should be rated in the top 6 or middle 6, Surely will steer clear of the bottom 6.

We were top four at the end of the home and away for clearance differential after being last at round 9. Our midfield might not have elite in and under individuals but it performed like it did for the second half of the year. With Shiel added to that setup, I suspect we’ll be able to carry that success for the whole year.

He gets off pumping up his team and his ego from 2018 stats. Even though the Dees were ranked as enjoying the easiest draw out of all sides in 2018 he thinks an easy draw does not affect stats at all.

When someone challenges him he quickly resorts to name calling and other school yard bully boy tactics. Its funny for a while.

Dees are on the right tragectory sure but I will reserve judgement until the end of this season. No easy draw in 2019 ranked 5th difficult so we will get a much better look at their premiership credentials. Wont be surprised which way they go TBH. They should be entering their peak in the next 2-3 years but I tend to doubt sides and clubs who tanked for draft picks. Also have several top line players returning from surgery.
Not at all.

My primary and primal instincts are to watch footy. The eyes tell you the most important aspects of football.

From there I use common sense, as well as the stats I consider to be the most important.

It's a bit like valuing a property. Let's say it's a rental property. The first and most important component are the comparable sales. The second component, or check method, is to then use a capitalisation rate on the amount of rent typical properties yield. What percentage yield are most selling for, i.e. the capitalisation rate ? If most are selling for a capitalised rate of 4% and this 4% rate on the subject property is close to the comparable sales method you've already used, then you're starting to get a very good idea of the property's worth. Naturally, one also uses common sense. What's the position like ? Is there natural light ? The room sizes ? Overall condition ? etc.

That's how I evaluate footy. My eyes discern the good teams and players. From there the stats support performance and what your eyes are already telling you. The stats paint a picture and start revealing what's important. The stats start revealing the ''why''. Nothing is perfect and there will be teams/players who have good days and bad.

Or I could watch footy your way. I could start asking people to name your best 6 forwards. Name your best six backs.

I'll leave the dumbing down to you, friend.

I was wondering who'd be the first fool that wouldn't understand the analogy.

Congrats.

First prize ? An IQ test. :D:thumbsu:

The “how do you like dem apples” scene has been done already Will.

I don’t need a prize or an IQ test, I’m happy with my lot.

Pity they haven’t invented a similar “I’m a dick” metric because you’d be able to collect the prize they hand out to the zen masters.

Top 8 in centre clearances in 2018 despite coming last. With the new 666 format I think centre clearances will be like gold. Carlton’s midfield group of Cripps, Dow, Curnow and Fisher did pretty well despite their age profile and lack of depth. Add in Kennedy (injures Rd 1), Setterfield (not at Carlton), Murphy (injures most of 2018), SPS (no preseason in first 2 years) and Walsh (being spoken very highly at the moment - Andrew russell who has witnessed a lot at Port, Ess and Hawks called him the best kid he’s seen) and it’s got a heap of upside. Not talking best in 2019 but it could well be by 2022 (despite the s**t Lerner article). Added depth of O’Brien, cuningham, Stocker and gibbons.

Pies best centre line-up is

Grundy, Adams, Beams, Sier

That is better than anything the Tigers can put together.

Eagles who knows NN (if fit),Shuey, Redden and Yeo is good.

Why Pies are so good is we have Pendles and Treloar as the rotating options...they were both top 35 in the league for clearances per game in 2018!
I’d be betting on a turnover with Adams and Sier in that starting four. Atrocious kicks.

I like Adams off half back though, as long as he doesn’t try to bite off more than he can chew with his kicking. He should be banned from kicking through the corridor.

Pendles would be great off the other half back. He’s slowing down, as evident in the last quarter of the grand final where he went missing, but off half back he will have plenty of time and use his creativity to set the Pies up.

Beams in the middle is a massive win. It allows Pendles to play half back and DeGoey forward where he’s most dangerous. I wonder if Bucks will get him to work harder defensively after his grand final brain fart. But he’s a match winner so you have to take the good with the bad I spose.

Sidey and Treloar are guns. Added defensive mindset to their games this year and it’s hard to shut both these guys down.

Greenwood is a key for the Pies, he should be the lock down tagger, and is a very good one, but may struggle to get a spot in the best 22.

On paper they have a very good midfield, probably the best in the league (although I feel some overate Sier) and Beams gives Buckley some
flexibility, it will be a test for him to get them all to play their roles in the side.

If they do, they will be amazing to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 8 in centre clearances in 2018 despite coming last. With the new 666 format I think centre clearances will be like gold. Carlton’s midfield group of Cripps, Dow, Curnow and Fisher did pretty well despite their age profile and lack of depth. Add in Kennedy (injures Rd 1), Setterfield (not at Carlton), Murphy (injures most of 2018), SPS (no preseason in first 2 years) and Walsh (being spoken very highly at the moment - Andrew russell who has witnessed a lot at Port, Ess and Hawks called him the best kid he’s seen) and it’s got a heap of upside. Not talking best in 2019 but it could well be by 2022 (despite the s**t Lerner article). Added depth of O’Brien, cuningham, Stocker and gibbons.
Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy and Cuningham won’t be on your list in 2022.

Cripps is a gun though and a key to your future and I enjoyed Dows debut season. SPS went backwards last year. Hopefully Bolton’s simplified game plan this year sees him make the most of his potential.

Ed Curnow, Marc Murphy and Cuningham won’t be on your list in 2022.

Cripps is a gun though and a key to your future and I enjoyed Dows debut season. SPS went backwards last year. Hopefully Bolton’s simplified game plan this year sees him make the most of his potential.
Game plan wasn’t SPSs issue. It was his lack of preseason. He’s now having one. Watch out for him in 2019. He’s gonna be huge.
Cuningham is 20. Has been injured throughout his early career. Best 22 right now. Will play lots of 2019.

This is a pretty weak post.

I’m fine with not rating us but don’t sit on the fence with your prediction.

Game plan wasn’t SPSs issue. It was his lack of preseason. He’s now having one. Watch out for him in 2019. He’s gonna be huge.
Cuningham is 20. Has been injured throughout his early career. Best 22 right now. Will play lots of 2019.
Cuningham turns 22 in March so he ain’t 20. He’s the same age as Dunkley, the guy SOS should have picked over him. Not sure many other Carlton fans would be claiming Cuningham is best 22 right now.

SPS just looked lost last year, like Weitering. Hopefully Bolton simplifies things for them both and plays SPS outside and Weitering in defence (what was he thinking playing him forward?).
But the only way is up for both these guys. Hopefully the coaches don’t continue to stifle their development and let them be the players they promised to be as juniors.

Some people have a deeper a level when it comes to thinking about footy.

Some people are idiots.

Life.

Gee, you’d want to make sure the first sentence in your post actually made sense before calling others idiots.

Or did you mean “a deepera” level ? As in “I’m a deepera thinker than you”

Whatever it is, you’re killing it with both the footy and property insights.

All the talk this off season has been about Collingwood’s midfield, and as a Pies supporter, it is very exciting to see some of the names in the articles, but will we find out as quickly as Round 1 who has the best midfield in the competition?

Although all the talk has been about Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Beams, have people neglected the duo down the highway?

March 22nd, we’ll likely have a centre bounce with the above 3 and Selwood, Dangerfield and Ablett. Who wins that battle?

No doubt, the Pies have a very good midfield, but have the Cats midfield gone under the radar whilst the media talk about Collingwood’s?

There has been far more success, both as a team, and individually, from the midfield down at the Cattery.

Midfield is about more than three aging players...

This is a pretty weak post.

I’m fine with not rating us but don’t sit on the fence with your prediction.

Why should people go to one extreme or the other.

Ok my tip for Melbourne is they finish sixth. Win one final and bow out prior to the prelim.

Much harder draw this year and after trading Hogan their kp forward depth isnt as good. Lever and May will take a season to peak.

Lose a key player or two and they miss the prelims.

Why should people go to one extreme or the other.

Ok my tip for Melbourne is they finish sixth. Win one final and bow out prior to the prelim.

Much harder draw this year and after trading Hogan their kp forward depth isnt as good. Lever and May will take a season to peak.

Lose a key player or two and they miss the prelims.

That’s better :)

I’m assuming you mean lose a key player or two and we miss the finals altogether

That’s better :)

I’m assuming you mean lose a key player or two and we miss the finals altogether

Depends who the two are.

Gawn plus T McDonald would be hard to cover.

If they lost a couple of key players they would like slide to say between 10th to 7th.

Feel Melbourne will be serious contenders 2020-2022. One more year of consolidation and improvement needed.

Then again I thought the same thing about the Eagles. The only difference is rhe Eagles had accumulated more finals experience.

Depends who the two are.

Gawn plus T McDonald would be hard to cover.

If they lost a couple of key players they would like slide to say between 10th to 7th.

Feel Melbourne will be serious contenders 2020-2022. One more year of consolidation and improvement needed.

Then again I thought the same thing about the Eagles. The only difference is rhe Eagles had accumulated more finals experience.

We managed to stay afloat in 2017 when Gawn then Spencer went down with injuries for extended periods, I would think with Preuss now at the club we'd be able to adapt.

McDonald I'd agree with but I could see us using Gawn up forward with Weideman should TMac get injured while Preuss rucks, we do have options.

Our midfield will benefit from having lynch up forward. Caddy, Rioli and Higgins will spend more time in the middle. Townsend is playing more midfield this year too. So he’ll be handy back up. The rest are promising kids but they all have size, speeed and grunt so we might see them in the team for a game or two this year. Look out for Balta too. He can play any position on the ground. Definitely a top 4 midfield.

1st Nankervis Martin Cotchin Prestia
2nd Balta Caddy Lambert Rioli
3rd Soldo Graham Higgins Edwards
Backup:
Weller Townsend Collier-Dawkins Ross
When I see Richmond's midfield set out like this, it only proves how much reliance there is on Martin.
Hope he doesn't do a knee or hammy, as we saw what happen when he had the sniffles.
Richmond have been lucky with injuries for a couple of years because if one or two of there better players went down, so would they.

We managed to stay afloat in 2017 when Gawn then Spencer went down with injuries for extended periods, I would think with Preuss now at the club we'd be able to adapt.

McDonald I'd agree with but I could see us using Gawn up forward with Weideman should TMac get injured while Preuss rucks, we do have options.

Even though we havent seen much of Pruess I see him as a quality addition. It will be very interesting should Goodwin decide to play them both.......which I think they will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back