The Best One on One Contests of Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What is the best one-one match up you have seen live?

For me; it was Crawford defending Hird all day at VFL Park approx 1998,

Hird was basically CHF and Crawford was pre-brownlow but a star midfielder and was sacrificed to curtail Hird, and it seemed like every ball forward by Essendon went to the contest.

Crawford won that day; but the winner was the God of football because both elevated themselves above every other player on the ground. i think it was one of Crawf's most memorable performances.(but just another week for Hird).

it is so easy to forget how good one on one match-up's used to be, and what joy (and misery) they could bring.

Last edited:

Michael Jordan vs John Starks

Carey vs Jakovich

Williams vs Rhys-Jones

Carey v Jocko was possibly the best because they did it so often in a TV saturated era. I never saw it live.

I saw Salmon vs Carey, kicking bags at opposite ends.

Jackovich vs Brownless.

I remember the articles in the papers and all the media buildup weeks out from the match. It was like the McGregor vs Mayweather of it's time.

Jackovich vs Brownless.

I remember the articles in the papers and all the media buildup weeks out from the match. It was like the McGregor vs Mayweather of it's time.

poor Brownless. So underrated.

(i hope you are not being sarcastic. That boxing match....hmmm).

As I have your attention Benny78, I want to call Bullshit on your list of best runners-up since 2000 rhat you posted as OP:

Geelong (2008)
2. St Kilda (2009)
3. Collingwood (2011)
4. Brisbane (2004)
5. West Coast (2005)
6. Hawthorn (2012)
7. Essendon (2001)
8. St Kilda (2010)
9. Collingwood (2003)
10. Collingwood (2002)
11. Sydney (2006)
12 Adelaide (2017)
13. Sydney (2016)
14. Port Adelaide 2007
15. West Coast (2015)
16. Fremantle (2013)
17. Sydney (2014)

C`mon man!
WTF!
R u Crazy?
Salty?
:poo:
Why are people so unkind?
Geelong much?
Credibility is now your disability
#ThreepeatwasaFluke
Geelong never backtoback
Geelong never threepeat
Create your own reality on-line
one man-one vote-one joke

Not even remotely true. I placed you guys as beating the greatest team the game has ever seen. Infact that would make you "alpha premiers" as opposed to "beta premiers" ala a Dogs/Richmond flag tilt. It's an honour received by no other team in the game :thumbsu:

Not even remotely true. I placed you guys as beating the greatest team the game has ever seen. Infact that would make you "alpha premiers" as opposed to "beta premiers" ala a Dogs/Richmond flag tilt. It's an honour received by no other team in the game :thumbsu:

Silver tongued devil. Your flattery is for Geelong, not the Hawks.

Swans finished top in 2014; took Buddy from us; were raging favorites; i hope you made a lot of of money at the TAB; they made 3 GF's in 5 years with basically the same team;

but here i am arguing with a conman. Sad, for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Libba vs Paul Kelly was a good one, went to the SCG at the height of it.

We got smashed, I was with some Swans mates so we got smashed in the stands, and Monty took a hangar in the 4th.

Hawkins vs Dipper in the 80s was good too. Everyone talks about KPF vs KPD but back in the day mids would go head to head with other mids all day.

Sometime around 2000/2001ish from memory. A past his prime Robert Harvey giving Shane Crawford a free midfield lesson. Absolute bath.
Crawford so out of his depth that he got hooked off the ground.

Mark Bolton v Adam Goodes was always fun.
I was an early Goodes fan, and for the life of me never really understood where Bolton fit in our team. Mid, CHF, CHB, ruck.
He was essentially the Anti-Goodes. a utility that never dominated any one position, where Goodes ive seen be at the top of his game doing them all
Until MB lined up on him. Then, for whatever reason, Goodes was nullified.

Bucks v Hird on Anzac Days. Around that late 90s to early 00s, you waited for one of the captains to make their mark on the game
I still remember a rainy one, when the city end was being redeveloped, and Essendon were all over Collingwood. Bucks took over. Was one of the best games i saw him play.

In 2004, Matthew Scarlett had the previous year been named the All Australian Full Back, whilst Lloyd had been named the Full Forward and one particular Friday night all the prematch was focused on this duel.

I think that could have been the last true head to head before everyone just ran around playing on everyone

Dustin Martin v geelong, gws and Adelaide this past September. Probably not a fair fight, akin to watching the romans v lions in Ancient Rome but still watching dusty tear all 3 teams apart over a glorious September was a joy to behold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back