The Best One on One Contests of Old

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martin v geelong, gws and Adelaide this past September. Probably not a fair fight, akin to watching the romans v lions in Ancient Rome but still watching dusty tear all 3 teams apart over a glorious September was a joy to behold.

GAS Vs Richmond for most of the 80s' and 90;s.

Ate them for 12 years.

Go Catters

Carey v Jacovich
Plugger v anyone
And midfield battles. You take those classics of hawks v cats in the 80's, blues v bombers in the mid 90's. Even the Lions v Power in the 2000's. Some awesome battles there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dustin Martin v geelong, gws and Adelaide this past September. Probably not a fair fight, akin to watching the romans v lions in Ancient Rome but still watching dusty tear all 3 teams apart over a glorious September was a joy to behold.

Ablett Snr v Richmond.

1993 v the whole competition, 124.60, 17 games, bags of 14, 12, 11, 10, 10, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7.
1994 v the whole competition, 129.79, 25 games, bags of 14, 10, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7.
1995 v the whole competition, 122.85, 22 games, bags of 9, 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7.

Career v Richmond, 20 games 117.62, 20 games, bags of 14, 12, 12, 10, 8, 8, 7.

Seems Dunstall liked them too. 111.55 from 20 games.

What is the best one-one match up you have seen live?

For me; it was Crawford defending Hird all day at VFL Park approx 1998,

Hird was basically CHF and Crawford was pre-brownlow but a star midfielder and was sacrificed to curtail Hird, and it seemed like every ball forward by Essendon went to the contest.

Crawford won that day; but the winner was the God of football because both elevated themselves above every other player on the ground. i think it was one of Crawf's most memorable performances.(but just another week for Hird).

it is so easy to forget how good one on one match-up's used to be, and what joy (and misery) they could bring.
Great get. Andy collins use to battle with someone???

From an Eagles point of view...

Carey vs Jakovich, as mentioned. 2 absolute Titans. Jakovich I think had Carey’s measure until he did his knee (mid 1996), from there Wayne still had some of his best footy to come and got on top of Jako a few times.

Peter Matera had 2 guys who were great match ups - Peter Riccardi (under rated I think as he was sorta caught between 2 great Geelong eras) and Darren Pritchard (another really good player). Not an easy job minding Matera but both of those guys were great wingman in their own right.

John Worsfold and Garry Hocking often enjoyed belting the stuffing out of each other, even though Woosha wasn’t a midfielder he would often stand Hocking as he could match it physically. Couple of the hardest guys to play the game.

Hird was basically CHF and Crawford was pre-brownlow but a star midfielder and was sacrificed to curtail Hird, and it seemed like every ball forward by Essendon went to the contest.

Crawford won that day; but the winner was the God of football because both elevated themselves above every other player on the ground. i think it was one of Crawf's most memorable performances.(but just another week for Hird).

it is so easy to forget how good one on one match-up's used to be, and what joy (and misery) they could bring.
Hird wasn’t fit that day

Yep no doubt I was in the stands for a few of those as well, such a long long long time ago though. I prefer to look back on recent events however each to their own.
Well.. the thread title is

"best 1 on 1 contests of old"

sooooo... it seems pretty on point to the OP.

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAS Vs Richmond for most of the 80s' and 90;s.

Ate them for 12 years.

Go Catters
He destroyed us every time he played us. Averaged close to six goals.
Big hauls in some of those games as well.
Amazing to watch, even as an opposition supporter.

Relieved he wasn’t playing against us one week and Billy Brownless took up the slack and kicked a bag.

Yep remember that. Epic clash.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back