Opinion The best Saints #3

Trojan_Saint

Senior List
Jul 13, 2011
Ballarat
AFL Club
St Kilda
Hi all,

In light of the emotional return of our favourite, shaggy Saint, I thought it would be interesting to gage were we all rate him in comparison to other #3s.

For reference sake, the best #35 will likely always be Harvey, whereas # 7 could be split between Nicky and Lenny.

Personally, my order goes:

1. Stuv - mustache and 4 time club champion
2. Burke - legend of the club as a player and administrator
3. Ross Smith - premiership ruck rover

Cheerio
9eafe73d6246f8c30e6b156e3421f462.jpg

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

it was before my time but Ross Smith

I was very fortunate to have starting following the Saints as a young tacker when both Ross and big Carl were in action together.

Managed to see a couple of seasons of their great ruck/rover combo.

saints man

Senior List
Mar 26, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
You guys are having a argument over the best number 3 and haven't even mention Raph? Easily the best number 3 in our clubs history!

You guys are having a argument over the best number 3 and haven't even mention Raph? Easily the best number 3 in our clubs history!
You might have to explain that joke because I’m not getting it.

But yeah, Ross Smith.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Hi all,

In light of the emotional return of our favourite, shaggy Saint, I thought it would be interesting to gage were we all rate him in comparison to other #3s.

For reference sake, the best #35 will likely always be Harvey, whereas # 7 could be split between Nicky and Lenny.

Cheerio

Gordon Ramsay was an average player, but a great cook. He could also deliver blasts that would've made Brendon Goddard blush.

He gets my vote. It's not always about the football alone.

Drake Huggins

Club Legend
May 2, 2018
The ghost of the G.G. Huggins Stand
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Stoke City, Southampton.
Hi all,

Cheerio

Clearly the best Number 3 ever for the saints seems to be over looked on those lockers!

The great Phil Cronin!

Or as we nicknamed him, "Cronin the Librarian". Seriously, he actually was a librarian.

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
North Sydney Bears Rugby League
Ross Smith. Brownlow and Premiership player. A leader. Captain, then coach. Allan Jeans hinted he was the best player he had to 'coach'. Not necessarily the best player. Incredibly fit, but boy was he small. Hardly ever got injured. Could kick goals too.

Saints43

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2010
Flemington
AFL Club
St Kilda
Ross Smith. Brownlow and Premiership player. A leader. Captain, then coach. Allan Jeans hinted he was the best player he had to 'coach'. Not necessarily the best player. Incredibly fit, but boy was he small. Hardly ever got injured. Could kick goals too.
And lauded by the great Neil Roberts as 'the most boring man on earth'.
Beat that. World class.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
And lauded by the great Neil Roberts as 'the most boring man on earth'.
Beat that. World class.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
Ha ha. That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Very serious man. Not a bloke to probably hit the beers with. But you wouldn't mind him in your team.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
we have your namesake coming to our telecast here in Perth on Saturday mate ... bit of a fanboi moment to come ..

Aug 15, 2009
Dubai, UAE
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
we have your namesake coming to our telecast here in Perth on Saturday mate ... bit of a fanboi moment to come ..
Love Verdun. First met him when I was 9 years old. And I'm 62 now! Had about 10 of his autographs, probably got one left. Along with Doug Walters was my boyhood hero.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Love Verdun. First met him when I was 9 years old. And I'm 62 now! Had about 10 of his autographs, probably got one left. Along with Doug Walters was my boyhood hero.
he was well before my time but i have seen footage of him from his playing days ...

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
it was before my time but Ross Smith
premiership player
2x best and fairest
1x brownlow
3 years club captain
Victoria State captain
AFL hall of fame inductee

flag coach in the WAFL for Subiaco

i reckon he has burkey and Stuv covered

This. Ross Smith was our second best player (behind AFL Legend Ian Stewart) in the most successful period in the clubs history including 3 grand finals in 7 years.

My #3 story.

When we were living in Zurich we would come home at least once a year for a holiday. Mrs Kft always wanted to come at Christmas for family. I always wanted to come in Winter for footy. We compromised on Easter.

I think it was 2012 and we’d played GWS at Etihad and smashed them.

The next day we went to a cafe in Brighton, ordered some stuff and they gave us a number on a pedestal. As we looked for a table I said “Number 3, gee Jack Steven played well last night”. After 25 years, Mrs Kft knows when to ignore me, but I became aware of someone looking up at me from the table we were walking past. I looked down and it was none other than Ross Smith.

I was too stunned to say anything until we sat down and I said to my wife “do you know who that was, it’s Premiership rover and Brownlow Medallist Ross Smith” She of course replied “Who?”

Back