Opinion The best Saints #3

Remove this Banner Ad

he was well before my time but i have seen footage of him from his playing days ...
Smooth and skilled player. No rough edges. Fast, could kick, and took some great high marks. Renowned as a full back, I saw him kick 9 at full forward one day at Moorabbin. At a time full forwards didn’t kick big bags. Mind you, he had Baldock and Stewart sticking it on his chest all day!

Heres my # 3 story... My wife works in academia. She has a former colleague who was at our house a few months ago and we were chatting and I asked her if she barracked for a team. She replied “no, not really anyone but St Kilda”. “Huh?” Says I, thinking she was having a lend of me. She then explained that she loathed the Saints because she had been, for many years, a colleague of Ross Smith and described him as an “egotistical, self obsessed, miserable little jerk” (or words to that effect) - being a Saints man, I was totally taken aback, she then went on to tell me numerous stories of his work place infamy. My wife too had worked with him, and agreed with everything she said. So there you have it, great footballer, average human so it would seem. Needless to say, it left me a little deflated! :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heres my # 3 story... My wife works in academia. She has a former colleague who was at our house a few months ago and we were chatting and I asked her if she barracked for a team. She replied “no, not really anyone but St Kilda”. “Huh?” Says I, thinking she was having a lend of me. She then explained that she loathed the Saints because she had been, for many years, a colleague of Ross Smith and described him as an “egotistical, self obsessed, miserable little jerk” (or words to that effect) - being a Saints man, I was totally taken aback, she then went on to tell me numerous stories of his work place infamy. My wife too had worked with him, and agreed with everything she said. So there you have it, great footballer, average human so it would seem. Needless to say, it left me a little deflated! :(

My ex-wife was briefly taught by him at the Rusden Teacher's college back in the early 80's. She would concurr with your wife's view, Wilburbia20. She couldn't stand him. In today's term she would've described him as a bully.

As Ross was personal hero of mine, I too was disappointed to hear her opinion of him. Then again, she ended up believing I was a bit of a campaigner. She was a cruel woman. Cruel, but fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back