The best "spine" in the history of VFL/AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane have 4 out 5. I'll give you Franklin.

Lynch behind Roughy. No Coleman medals, 1 less AA, and they average almost the same number of goals (2.1 Lynch vs 2.0 Roughy), despite Roughy spending time as both a Ruck and tall midfielder further up the ground). Basically Roughy edges him out on versatility.

I'll concede Voss and Leppa, but Lake a more complete defender than Mal IMO, but I can see that's a matter of taste, so happy to call it a draw.

Genuinely can't decide using all the great players I've seen apart from my two KPF locks which are Carey and Lockett. The KPD are too difficult to split. Cox is the best ruckman I recall, and Ablett Jr is probably the best midfielder I've ever seen.

From my team only which I can be more confident about:

Gasper
Rance
Martin
Richardson
Riewoldt

And yeh we haven't had great rucks.... Stafford? Ottens was more of a forward with us.

I'm only gonna choose from players I've seen.

Traditional spine:

FF: Tony Lockett
CHF: Wayne Carey
C: Greg Williams
CHB: Ross Glendinning
FB: Stephen Silvagni

Ruck & Mid: Simon Madden & Ablett Jnr

For a ruck-mid combo who worked together I'd go Cox & Judd from WCE.

From what I have watched .... I can't comment on what I haven't see.

FB: Dustin Fletcher or Stephen Silvagni ( I can't split them)
CHB: Glen Jakovich
Ruck / Mid: Dean Cox / Ablett Jr
CHF: Wayne Carey
FF: Tony Lockett or Gary Ablett Snr ( I can't split them)

Lynch behind Roughy. No Coleman medals, 1 less AA, and they average almost the same number of goals (2.1 Lynch vs 2.0 Roughy), despite Roughy spending time as both a Ruck and tall midfielder further up the ground). Basically Roughy edges him out on versatility.

You can't be serious.
Lynch played KPD in a shite Fitzroy teams and gave some of the best KPF of all time a touch up.

You can't be serious.
Lynch played KPD in a shite Fitzroy teams and gave some of the best KPF of all time a touch up.

Yeah, Lynch the better player hands down IMO. Such a pity his prime playing years were lost to chronic fatigue.

I wonder if it’s the same Hawks poster who recently compared goal stats for Jezza and Buddy.

FB : Emmett Dunne
CHB : Jim Jess
C : Geoff Raines
CHF : David Cooke
FF : Michael Roach

That's the 1980 premiership spine. More than handy.

Our 1982 grand final team was missing our full back Geoff Southby and our full forward was concussed early in game and was useless for rest of the day.
Still beat them. Shows the focus on the whole spine is overrated in regards to actually winning the premiership.

North's 75' side had a decent one, we were even able to play Blight at CHB given we had Keka, Wade and Briedis.

FB: Dench
HB: Blight
C: Cable
HF: Kekovich
FF: Wade

2 x AFL hall of fame legends in it.

Wade, Blight, Cable and Dench were in the inagural hall of fame induction in 1996.

- Wade kicked over 1,000 goals (most for the Cats) but still kicked 200+ for North at almost 4 goals a game.
- Blight was essentially the pre-cursor of someone like Matthew Pavlich and a much better version. Won a Magery, a Brownlow, a Coleman
- Cable a 3 x Sandover medalist, an AFL legend.
- Dench considered in the best 3-4 FB's of all time.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North's 75' side had a decent one, we were even able to play Blight at CHB given we had Keka, Wade and Briedis.

FB: Dench
HB: Blight
C: Cable
HF: Kekovich
FF: Wade

2 x AFL hall of fame legends in it.

Wade, Blight, Cable and Dench were in the inagural hall of fame induction in 1996.

- Wade kicked over 1,000 goals (most for the Cats) but still kicked 200+ for North at almost 4 goals a game.
- Blight was essentially the pre-cursor of someone like Matthew Pavlich and a much better version. Won a Magery, a Brownlow, a Coleman
- Cable a 3 x Sandover medalist, an AFL legend.
- Dench considered in the best 3-4 FB's of all time.
Blight aint no CHB sorry to say...Crosswell

Last edited:
im pretty sure Bourke was FB that day??
Let's watch the opening two goals and see, shall we?
Bourke is nowhere in sight in opening two goals.
Dunne is one lamenting the 1st goal conceded as the Dominator celebrates.
Martello and Dunne seem like the tallest guys in last line of defence at very start.

Last edited:
West Coast had some legendary spines in the 90's.. well known CHF probably lacking tho

Mcintosh
Jackovich
Kemp
????
Sumich
Yeah had more smallish HFs like Lewis, Heady, Wilson, Langdon, Ball, Evans.

Our backlines were elite. The Malthouse effect.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Let's watch the opening two goals and see, shall we?
Bourke is nowhere in sight in opening two goals.
Dunne is one lamenting the 1st goal conceded as the Dominator celebrates.
Martello and Dunne seem like the tallest guys in last line of defence at very start.

this is '82...we have our years mixed up...im yappin on about '80,...my spine is 1980
:oops: howd we get onto '82...thats F**** up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back