Soldo, Edwards.

Vs

Scarlett
Rance
Williams
Carey
Lockett

Nic Nat, ablett jnr

Pies may have the WEAKEST spine in the comp, both literally (Moore and who?), and metaphorically (fancy losing a GF by a few points AFTER being 5 GOALS PLUS ahead, and then as an encore, losing the unlosable PreLim the following year at the MCG against an INTERSTATE team).

If that isn't spineless, what is?

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Great post.

Carlton managed 3 flags in 4 years between 1979 and 1982, with no-one kicking more than 61 goals (Ross Ditchburn in 1982). Contrast that to the numbers being posted by Roach, Taylor, Blight, Templeton, Quinlan, etc. David Parkin was ahead of his time!
Good point. The story is that at the start of the 1978 season Parkin suggested that Hudson should retire after kicking 110 goals in 1977. Hawthorn were belted by North in the 77 PF and Parkin felt that over reliance on a FF made Hawthorn too predictable. Hawthorn won the 78 premiership and Parkin took the same attitude to Carlton.

Good point. The story is that at the start of the 1978 season Parkin suggested that Hudson should retire after kicking 110 goals in 1977. Hawthorn were belted by North in the 77 PF and Parkin felt that over reliance on a FF made Hawthorn too predictable. Hawthorn won the 78 premiership and Parkin took the same attitude to Carlton.
Hawthorn still had Micheal Moncrieff kicking 90 goals at FF in 1978, so it's not like they played without a FF

With all due respect, before Parkin came to Carlton the forward line was still only one locked in key forward of Sellers and the other key position could be anyone from week to week. When Jezza was there it was often just rotated. Jezza might play McConville there one week, himself, David McKay, Rod Galt, Percy Jones, Fitzzy or Peter Brown. There was no set same guy at full forward but Sellers was a locked in key forward every week and that was the one constant before Parko was there and in those 81 and 82 premiership years.
Really just a horses for courses approach from week to week and even quarter to quarter for full forward in all the time I followed those seasons. Wayne Harmes even played full forward at one point.
1982 Parko ended up with a regular full forward of Ditchburn if he was fit but when he was not there it did not change things in a bad way as we saw in grand final when Diitchburn was concussed early on.

As other pointed out at Hawks, Parko also had Moncrief often full forward. He was not against a gun full forward if there was one there. If forward line functioned that is the main thing. How it functions best is dependent on group of players you have.

The point I was making is this idea of a locked in 4 players for full back, CHB, CHF and FF is rare for premiership teams. There is usually one of those positions or even the ruck itself (Lions 2001 to 2003) where a locked in single player there from week to week is not the structure you see. So a rigid spine is good in theory but you often rarely see sides with it for various reasons. It is not the end of world if you do not have locked in ones for all those spots.

Last edited:
David Dench, Ross Glendinning, Ian Stewart, Wayne Carey, Tony Lockett, Simon Madden, Michael Voss and Leigh Matthews.

Genuine question - is centre half forward still a position in the game?

I thought Tom Lynch looked fairly CHFish when he was kicking five v your mob in the Preliminary Final.

then deferring to the deeper forward Jack Riewoldt in the grannie for the workhorse role to help his partner kick 5.

Then again richmonds forward structure is a bit different with Dusty often loitering in the goal square or forward 50 attracting attention being the best 1v1 player stats wise in that area of the field

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Tom Lynch looked fairly CHFish when he was kicking five v your mob in the Preliminary Final.

then deferring to the deeper forward Jack Riewoldt in the grannie for the workhorse role to help his partner kick 5.

Then again richmonds forward structure is a bit different with Dusty often loitering in the goal square or forward 50 attracting attention being the best 1v1 player stats wise in that area of the field
But in both the PF and GF did one of Lynch or Reiwoldt play as the key forward with the other being a decoy?

Lake Michael
Gibson Leppa
Mitchell Voss
Franklin Brown
Roughead Lynch

I've followed footbl since 1996. So I can my truly comment from that time onwards. These are the best two spines by some fare length. Pretty close.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Tigers next year

Rance
Grimes
Martin
Cotchin
Lynch
Riewoldt
Nankervis

Might be bias being a tiger but that’s very impressive

Very well balanced spine, but in the context of the OPs criteria of "choose any player from any era and any team" it is a very very ordinary spine. It is arguable that none of those players were the best in their position for 2019. Only one of those 7 players made the AA team, and none of them were named in the spine. Rance and Martin probably the only two you'd consider for a best spine when using "any player, any era , any team" criteria, and as good as Martin is , he's not had that many peak seasons. Riewoldt probably next in line, but still a fair way behind other gun forwards you'd be able to choose from.

Lake Michael
Gibson Leppa
Mitchell Voss
Franklin Brown
Roughead Lynch

I've followed footbl since 1996. So I can my truly comment from that time onwards. These are the best two spines by some fare length. Pretty close.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hawthorn spine any day of the week.
Brisbane's fab 4 has ours covered however.

Hawks 2013 spine is pretty impressive

FB: Lake
HB: Gibson
C: Mitchell
HF: Franklin
FF: Roughead
Foll: McEvoy Hodge Lewis

2014*

Bailey/Hale were the rucks in 2013 ;)

But in both the PF and GF did one of Lynch or Reiwoldt play as the key forward with the other being a decoy?

'Decoy', or both of them played as KPF, and they/the team adapted to the matchups and game situation to focus on the one that had the better opportunity?

Neitz, Schwarz, Lyon and Allen Jakovich... WTF happened ???
the later 3 had injuries that either finished their careers early (Jackovich & Lyon) or severely cut down their career (Schwarz) and Neitz was a better CHB but had to go forward

FB : Gary Malarkey
CHB : 'Jumping' Jack Hawkins
C : Peter Featherby
CHF : John 'Sam Newman
FF : Larry Donohue

Remove this Banner Ad

Back