The best teams at NOT going back to back

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton 1980 and 1983.
Should have won 79-80 back to back but Jezza left for political reasons so a clown stepped in as coach called Percy, like out of Blackadder comedy show and a year went to waste.
1982-83 but suspensions to Bosustow and others right before finals and a few injuries saw us fall well short.

Cats 2008 would have been 2007 and 2008 but bad kicking is bad football.

From R13 2010 to R23 2011, Collingwood went 32-1-2 in 35 games, the three non-results being a drawn grand final, a 3 point loss to an all-time great Geelong team, and a 3 point loss to Hawthorn in a dead rubber after we’d already secured the minor premiership. Ridiculous record with a crazy % to pair with it. Should have won more flags but came into town before Geelong had left.

From R13 2010 to R23 2011, Collingwood went 32-1-2 in 35 games, the three non-results being a drawn grand final, a 3 point loss to an all-time great Geelong team, and a 3 point loss to Hawthorn in a dead rubber after we’d already secured the minor premiership. Ridiculous record with a crazy % to pair with it. Should have won more flags but came into town before Geelong had left.

First example I thought of.

Essendon 2001 and Geelong 2008 right up there.

Geelong 2008 is the obvious one. Collingwood lost 5 or 6 games across the 2010 and 2011 seasons with just 1 flag to show for it. Collingwood have nailed the art of losing back to back grand finals though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong in 2008 didn't go back to back, my pedantic robotic friend.
“I’m terribly sorry”

Star Wars Dancing GIF

North 97. Decimated from injuries and just could not keep people on the park from the first game. Carey didn't play til round 13. Capuano missed the entire season. Had been 3 matches in 12 days leading into the prelim. Archer and Schwass didn't play and then McKernan injured his shoulder 5 minutes into the game. Longmire's ankle went in the 3rd quarter so he came off the ground and with no ruck Roberts tried to step in but hurt his back and limped around the rest of the match. Ended up using Simpson as a ruck lol

Last edited:
We often talk about the great dynasty teams etc which can get very boring as it’s obvious who they are

My question is a little more nuanced - which teams are the best NOT to go back to back?

I’m going to start with Hawthorn 2015. To this day it shits me.

What are your thoughts/examples?
I actually think Richmond 2018 were arguably the best of the Richmond sides in that period. One bad prelim, but they were comfortably the best side that year, they finished 2 games and massive % on top that year, of all the Richmond sides in that 2017-2020 timeframe, 2018 was the one we probably should have won the flag above all others, and it was the only year we didn't.

I actually think Richmond 2018 were arguably the best of the Richmond sides in that period. One bad prelim, but they were comfortably the best side that year, they finished 2 games and massive % on top that year, of all the Richmond sides in that 2017-2020 timeframe, 2018 was the one we probably should have won the flag above all others, and it was the only year we didn't.
They got pumped by 50 points by the true best side that year.

Think we can take some of the 'blame' for their behinds.
Their kicking was definitely bad, strongly remember Mark Williams bombing it through
Geelong's goals to take the piss out of their kicking. Was twelve in 08 and don't think even the threepeat or anything else can top that Premiership as a football experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back