The best teams at NOT going back to back

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon 2001. Should have won 1999 too, but the brain box melted for that year.

Cats 2008 also mentions.

/thread.
You can argue either side of 2000 for Essendon. The domination of 2000 was special which makes up for it, but for that team to only win one boggles the mind a little bit.

You can argue either side of 2000 for Essendon. The domination of 2000 was special which makes up for it, but for that team to only win one boggles the mind a little bit.
In hindsight, it's extraordinary that Essendon fell away so badly after 2001.

The 2000 premiership list was NOT an old team. You had Bewick, Barnes, Wallis and Long as the "old blokes" and they were barely in their 30s. The core of the team was in their early/mid 20s.

If it was the last gasp of an ageing list before the cliff hit, then fair enough. But looking back, it's unbelievable you couldn't make a dynasty out of that.

Eagles surely the kings of this discussion... should have gone back-to-back at least once between 1991 and 1996, also should have gone back-to-back between 2005 and 2007 with a midfield of Cox, Cousins, Judd and Kerr. And the talent was there to back up on 2018 but maybe not the hunger.

Pretty nice but not sure I'd go there again. Atmosphere was better than the food.
And after we left my mates were trying to tell me I was likely the slowest runner in the group so I demanded to be taken somewhere to test my speed - then I ran too much and puked up all the french food.
I don't get how you can be earning enough money to buy a $55 cheeseburger and still have dumb-arse arguments with your mates about who could run fastest.

A year ago a mate ripped his face open on the sidewalk at 1am. He's a doctor (so, kinda lucky I guess). Him and another mate were in the same argument, the dude who didn't rip his face open is lobbyist with multiple investment properties and a luxury car.

The **** is wrong with you people.

I don't get how you can be earning enough money to buy a $55 cheeseburger and still have dumb-arse arguments with your mates about who could run fastest.

A year ago a mate ripped his face open on the sidewalk at 1am. He's a doctor (so, kinda lucky I guess). Him and another mate were in the same argument, the dude who didn't rip his face open is lobbyist with multiple investment properties and a luxury car.

The **** is wrong with you people.
By my recollection the banquet was about $100 each, apart from that I cannot defend the behaviour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies added Krakouer and Tarrant to that all conquering 2010 Premiership team. We really should've gone back to back.
A combination of the instability caused by the idiocy of Eddie to insist on the succession plan and Malthouse’s bad coaching in firstly playing injured players for the latter half of the year while Geelong freshened theirs up through regular tests and secondly, playing a hobbled Ben Reid on Hawkins for far too long despite the second forward in Podsiadly being out of the game and having an obvious switch to make in Tarrant but not doing so.

I'd probably also say Collingwood 2011, but Geelong from that era was better and that's who they lost to.
That being said for a massive part of 2011 the Pies felt like a machine team - ended up having a really bad run of injuries if I recall.

...they lost 3 games for the year in 2011, all of them to Geelong.

I am not sure one can really class 2020 as a proper B2B year….personally.

It was a worthy thing to entertain the masses during lockdown. And I enjoyed it heaps

But …was it really a proper AFL year?

So…I say Richmond 2019. Great team

Hungry Jacks Rebel Whopper small meal is $12.50

Were your mates right btw? You a plodder or what.
look I am 185cm - they are both in the lower end of the 170s.. I am marginally slower.
however - I reckon in a way that makes me faster based on movement of sheer mass... like you don't expect Aaron Sandilands to run as fast as Cyril Rioli but if he DID almost run as fast as Cyril it would be like superhumanly fast!... they do not accept this however.

Don't get carried away champ.

Or have you forgotten you there was a 37 year premiership drought for your club?
I laugh every day, you guys were supposed to be the team to stop us on our way to a dynasty lol
You can only dream what's that like.

I laugh every day, you guys were supposed to be the team to stop us on our way to a dynasty lol
You can only dream what's that like.
I don't recall too many, if any saying that we'd stop your dynasty.

Your club had a great 4 or 5 years.
No one denies that.

That isn't the issue.
The issue was you crapping on a club that's been really successful since they've entered the competition whilst conveniently forgetting your club was crap for over 30 years.

We don't have to dream what it's like to go 30 plus years without winning a flag like you did champ.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back