Ocha905

Club Legend
Mar 19, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks & Stars, Liverpool
I don't really consider NCFOM a Western; it's a crime film with Western elements.

Likewise with Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid; allthough that is a lot more close to a Western. I feel like it's a crime film set in the old West.
All Westerns are derivative of crime films- name me one Western that doesn't have crime in it. NCFOM is in some backwater part of Texas/Mexico. How is that not Western. Yes it's more modern and subverts the genre by not having the "goodies" win but it has all the western tropes.

Btw my second favourite western is Brokeback Mountain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EFC 1871

Hall of Famer
Oct 11, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I tend to limit my classifcation to being in the age of the Old West (though not necessarily the geographical location), almost always with a main character arriving in a town for one of greed, revenge or redemption.

NCFOM ticks a few of those boxes, but not all (for me).

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
I don't really consider NCFOM a Western; it's a crime film with Western elements.

Likewise with Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid; allthough that is a lot more close to a Western. I feel like it's a crime film set in the old West.
I don't include NCFOM either. Butch Cassidy tests the limits of my scope, but it has enough western-ness for me to admit entry.

Jughead77

Saints Tragic
Sep 25, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I love my westerns, wish they made more of them these days. A few of my favourites that haven't been mentioned,

Shenandoah(my fav)
The man from Laramie
Major Dundee
River of No Return
Warlock
The Red Badge of Courage
How the West was Won
The Man who shot Liberty Valance
Pale Rider
Maverick

These others ones are probably on the fringes of being called a western,

Last of the Mohicans