The best young ruckman???

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't help him in 2016 and 2017 was the only time he was ever in the top 3-4 ruckman ...

2016 was his first full season in 6-7 years. I wonder what he could have been had he been able to put full seasons in, as in season after season after season. Was always on modified training during preseasons and missing games here and there. Just never had much chance to get a run on.

2016 was his first full season in 6-7 years. I wonder what he could have been had he been able to put full seasons in, as in season after season after season. Was always on modified training during preseasons and missing games here and there. Just never had much chance to get a run on.

Grundy seems like a pretty good comparison to what Kruezer was projected to be.

I'm obviously Bias but as far as a pure Ruckman goes, Darcy has to be the best at this stage. Starting to take a few more marks and his tapwork is excellent. Ladhams has freakish skills for a big bloke but his tapwork isn't as good as Darcys imo.

He's not very good at actual ruck work though.

Very good around the ground though, more of a very tall ruck rover.
Some of his taps are amazing but unfortunately bigger bodied ruckman just get in his way so he only gets a few good ones here and there and gets thoroughly dominated sometimes.

If he gets stronger he’ll be good. Otherwise I think forward/2nd ruck will suit him.

Tim English looks an All-Australian caliber talent at 23, Rowan Marshal also a quality up and coming ruckman but turns 25 later this year, not sure if he’s still in the young category. Sean Darcy at 22 has the best ruckwork though. Luke Jackson looks like one for the future, shown some very good signs, still on 18.

Interesting article on Sean Darcy's development.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news...VcpshKiZgVoNIQK4wz2xAKakjSItgvEdaGrjyuVxE88JU

Darcy is already top 5 in the league for hit out's to advantage. As a comparison currently Tim English has a HOTA% of 8.9% compared with Darcy's 15.9% and Darcy win's a lot more ruck contests as well. Darcy as a ruck man at the age of 22 is already producing as a best 22 ruck.

Interesting points in the article about how his follow up work is the focus for him to get to the next level. If he can improve this over time through natural development (which is a very realistic idea) then I think he'll be a top 5 in the league ruck pretty soon.

Darcy as a pure ruckman, by some stretch from the little I've seen.
But as a overall player and impact on a game and getting around the ground and marking and score involvements, well it's a lot more even.
I'd stack Ladhams up against him for sure.

Last edited:
How does this example support your statement that young rucks are elite players by 23?

It answers everything in life. If Nathan Lovett-Murray can spearhead a ruck attack, then all possibilities are...possible.

But the fact that Nic Nat, Gawn and Grundy were All-Australian when they were 24 or younger does too - and All-Australian isn't synonymous with 'elite' before you try to get pedantic about 23/24.

https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news...VcpshKiZgVoNIQK4wz2xAKakjSItgvEdaGrjyuVxE88JU

Darcy is already top 5 in the league for hit out's to advantage. As a comparison currently Tim English has a HOTA% of 8.9% compared with Darcy's 15.9% and Darcy win's a lot more ruck contests as well. Darcy as a ruck man at the age of 22 is already producing as a best 22 ruck.

Interesting points in the article about how his follow up work is the focus for him to get to the next level. If he can improve this over time through natural development (which is a very realistic idea) then I think he'll be a top 5 in the league ruck pretty soon.
Darcy was 110kg when drafted, in other words a man mountain already. So unlike most ruckman who have to build up, he was already there. Was surprised when we played Freo how good he was in the tap outs, but there is so much more to being a ruckman than ruckcraft. I thought Sandilands held Freo back for years due to being so one dimensional. Seems to me all the great modern ruckman have been mobile. Simon Madden, Cox, Goldstein, even Gawn is pretty mobile, Grundy etc.
Will Darcy develop much more given his build, he will get fitter and probably needs to get leaner so that will help. Richmond's Nankervis had just turned 22 when he won the flag as a ruckman, and hasn't gotten any better, although injuries have hampered over the last few seasons, but it doesn't always work that they will get better as they get older.

Darcy was 110kg when drafted, in other words a man mountain already. So unlike most ruckman who have to build up, he was already there. Was surprised when we played Freo how good he was in the tap outs, but there is so much more to being a ruckman than ruckcraft. I thought Sandilands held Freo back for years due to being so one dimensional. Seems to me all the great modern ruckman have been mobile. Simon Madden, Cox, Goldstein, even Gawn is pretty mobile, Grundy etc.
Will Darcy develop much more given his build, he will get fitter and probably needs to get leaner so that will help. Richmond's Nankervis had just turned 22 when he won the flag as a ruckman, and hasn't gotten any better, although injuries have hampered over the last few seasons, but it doesn't always work that they will get better as they get older.

Sorry you lost me at saying Sandi held Freo back. A 4 x All Australian ruckman who continually has his legacy challenged because of broad generalisations and myths. Usually by Victorians who I would doubt actually really watched much of his career. Sandi was a dominant player and a key component to our team that unfortunately except for a premiership was pretty successful.

Or win-loss with him in the team was always higher as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim English is 205cm tall, has nearly played 50 games as a ruckman at the AFL level, and still gets monstered by any semi competent ruckman. I think this will hold him back from ever reaching the heights of Grundy, Gawn, or Goldstein. Draper and De Koning look far better with their ruckwork already, and both are just as mobile as English, if not more. They just need to improve their general footy skills over time and get more experience.

Ladhams I think of similarly to English in that he will always struggle in the actual ruck contests.

Sean Darcy is a sure thing really. Already good in the ruck, provides a marking contest and has ok skills. Will never be as mobile as most other rucks though.

Bailey Williams has a great jump but I haven't seen much more to him than that. Perhaps could become a Paddy Ryder type player.

Luke Jackson is the youngest and least experienced of the lot. Will probably play as a relief ruck until Gawn starts getting old, which should give him time to build up his strength and marking ability. Times his jumps well, is incredibly agile, and is generally clean below his knees. I think he's most likely to be like Nic Nat or a taller and less skilled Adam Goodes.

I don't see it. Doesn't have a great leap, gets distracted trying to be a hyper-masculine boor.

But then, he's had limited exposure and is very young for a ruckman.
I probably wouldn't comment if you have;t seen him mate. He was competing well enough with NicNat in the ruck. Evidence enough his leap is sufficient for the modern ruckmen. Sean Darcy on the other hand, thats a poor leaping ruck

I’m surprised at the English love here. At times I’m not sure he’s an actual ruckman , just a very tall skinny footballer.

This.

Might rack up disposal numbers that are a little higher than others, but that has nothing to do with his actual ruckwork, which is mostly garbage. He routinely gets monstered still, due to his physical underdevelopment.

Same can be said of Peter Ladhams.

Darcy still needs a lot of work on his body and fitness levels.

Agree, Sandilands held us back so much by getting the ball to 2 x brownlow medalist Fyfe and Future brownlow medalist Neale instead of being mobile and using it himself. Great point genius

Sorry you lost me at saying Sandi held Freo back. A 4 x All Australian ruckman who continually has his legacy challenged because of broad generalisations and myths. Usually by Victorians who I would doubt actually really watched much of his career. Sandi was a dominant player and a key component to our team that unfortunately except for a premiership was pretty successful.

Or win-loss with him in the team was always higher as well.
So the rest of my comment means nothing because I think Sandilands went on to long to what I think was Freo's disadvantage. At his peak not, but later was was very one dimensional.

Agree, Sandilands held us back so much by getting the ball to 2 x brownlow medalist Fyfe and Future brownlow medalist Neale instead of being mobile and using it himself. Great point genius
You haven't played finals in five years with that combination, best was 14th, so not that successful. I said he held you back by going on too long. I can't think of another ruckman that developed his time. Darcy is coming along nicely now.

You haven't played finals in five years with that combination, best was 14th, so not that successful. I said he held you back by going on too long. I can't think of another ruckman that developed his time. Darcy is coming along nicely now.
that was our combination when we were competing, Sandi hardly played over the past few years

Darcy still needs a lot of work on his body and fitness levels.
Yep, think he could still lose a bit more weight, and obviously his fitness is still has a few preseasons to go.

His size helps and hinders him. It's helped him be competitive in the ruck from early on but it's obviously harder to work on your fitness when you're carrying that much weight.

I probably wouldn't comment if you have;t seen him mate. He was competing well enough with NicNat in the ruck. Evidence enough his leap is sufficient for the modern ruckmen. Sean Darcy on the other hand, thats a poor leaping ruck
I said I don't see it, not I haven't seen him.

As I said, he's very young for a ruckman and he's certainly got a substantial frame to go with it, and aggression has resulted in plenty of decent rucks. But to this point, he's resembled a later year Darren Jolly when he couldn't leap anymore, but without the smarts and the positioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back