The best young ruckman???

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m surprised at the English love here. At times I’m not sure he’s an actual ruckman , just a very tall skinny footballer.

He will be much better in coming seasons. He says he finds it very difficult to put on muscle during the season, he eats 1kg yoghurts and 2l Big Ms but he stays skinny. Unlike me.

I like Soldo
I think it's a combination of English looking promising around the ground with a dearth of other young ruck options in the league.

Don't even think English should be main ruck. If Bev had any common sense he would trade in a number one ruck and utilise English as a second ruck/utility.

English's marking/skills/athleticism for his size shouldn't be wasted trying to grapple with the big rucks. Instead he should be allowed to roam across the park.

Imo he could easily be the best 2nd ruck/utility in the competition. It's arguably the most difficult position to play.

I see this kind of comment on our board all the time.
How’s English going to roam around the ground doing as he pleases with a direct opponent?
The only reason he’s impacting around the ground currently is because he’s playing the No1 ruck role which gives him the freedom to work around the ground at will.

Of all of them I like TDK the most. Just appears to have so many weapons as a ruck and a forward. The timing on his leap is fantastic.

I think the OP needed to be clear what his criteria for young was. (Personally I think anything under 25 so would have included Marshall)

I like English from the list but his weakness is his actual ruck work and he has the potential to get thrashed badly in that area by good tap ruckman

Ladhams is clearly the best around the ground ruckmen. Doesn't know how to ruck yet, but is an extra midfielder with great skills. If anyone saw that goal kicked against Rchmond knows what i'm talking about.

Marc Pittonet 3/6/96 has done the bulk of the work for Carlton this year.
Tom De Koning 16/7/99 probably should be considered a ruck/forward on volumes at this stage.

Darcy Cameron 18/7/95 while still young does not seem to meet the loose age requirements.
Reilly O'Brien 20/8/95 and Rowan Marshall 24/11/95 both agree.

T.D.K has all of the tools to be an absolute gun.

However the most important thing a ruckman needs us durability. Never rated nankervis but for a period of time he was extremely durable which meant that his onballers new exactly what they were getting week in week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TDK is very impressive. His ruckwork has improved incredibly, and his follow up work around the ground is exceptional. He's so clean and agile for a big guy, and takes on attacking options most flankers can't or wont try to execute.

Awesome prospect.

TDK is very impressive. His ruckwork has improved incredibly, and his follow up work around the ground is exceptional. He's so clean and agile for a big guy, and takes on attacking options most flankers can't or wont try to execute.

Awesome prospect.

It's his timing that gets me.

When he went in against NicNat he just put that extra half a second on his jumps and it really took away from what the Eagles could do in the centre.

He does the same as a forward and looks very hard to defend against.

Don't even think English should be main ruck. If Bev had any common sense he would trade in a number one ruck and utilise English as a second ruck/utility.

English's marking/skills/athleticism for his size shouldn't be wasted trying to grapple with the big rucks. Instead he should be allowed to roam across the park.

Imo he could easily be the best 2nd ruck/utility in the competition. It's arguably the most difficult position to play.
A lot of truth there. Could be a rich man’s Westhoff, and peak Westhoff wasn’t exactly poor.

It's his timing that gets me.

When he went in against NicNat he just put that extra half a second on his jumps and it really took away from what the Eagles could do in the centre.

He does the same as a forward and looks very hard to defend against.

It's definitely one of his strengths. It's his rate of improvement as a ruckman that's most impressive for me - he looked nowhere near capable as a ruckman in his first couple of years and we were worried we'd have another athletic key forward to add to the mix.

Apparently Geelong asked about bringing him in last year.

I see this kind of comment on our board all the time.
How’s English going to roam around the ground doing as he pleases with a direct opponent?
The only reason he’s impacting around the ground currently is because he’s playing the No1 ruck role which gives him the freedom to work around the ground at will.

How many players on the field get a direct opponent? Generally one KPD plays body to body on the best KPF (which at the Dogs Naughton gets), but apart from that English would line up against players who more likely are the teams interceptors.

Playing English forward and back for 60-70% of the game (I believe he can do both), would keep him fresher for longer periods. The more often hes trying to wrestle the big rucks at stoppages the slower and more ineffective he gets. No surprise after a 9 day break that it was him that was saving the game with big contested marks.

English should be playing a Blicavs/Westhoff role imo. Not a main ruck role.

English was clearly the best last year but who knows what he is doing this year. The Dogs have 185cm guys in the ruck half the time.

Its bizarre.
His first half of the year was really good. Since the Gold Coast game (which was the week after his BOG game which is a good one for the people that just look at stats to take note of. Only 16 hitouts - 10 coaches votes) where Dew got Witts to essentially tag English, he's struggled a bit. Especially after he hurt his ankle in the Crows game as well, he's looked exhausted. Played alright on Monday though so the bigger break might have rejuvenated him a bit.

Tim English ceiling is being what Kreuzer could have been without all of the injuries.
I think Tim English's ceiling is Dean Cox and Mitch Clark circa 2009. Mobile talls who aren't a liability with ball in hand, who then develop the strength to compete against the bull rucks over the years.

I think Tim English's ceiling is Dean Cox and Mitch Clark circa 2009. Mobile talls who aren't a liability with ball in hand, who then develop the strength to compete against the bull rucks over the years.
Dean Cox is arguably the best ruckman of all time, that is a big call

Remove this Banner Ad

Back