Religion The Bible: Literal, figurative, bulldust?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve raised it but nothing has/can be done. Infuriating. There’s like 3-4 threads that have alerts every day that I have never read or posted in.
Looks like you're in this one now anyway.

I’m not even subscribed, Bigfooty is being ******ed and it’s making me watch this thread even though up until 5 minutes ago I’ve never posted here or watched this thread.
You are not even subscribed? then get a new pc or a phone, i only get alerts on threads i am watching/subscribing.
I’ve raised it but nothing has/can be done. Infuriating. There’s like 3-4 threads that have alerts every day that I have never read or posted in.

Are you 'following' any of the posters in this thread? I'm being unintentionally e-tormented by someone I 'follow' who posts in quite a few reality trash tv threads. Here's my post in the 'suggestions' thread area;

As of right now the only way to stop it is to unfollow them then re-follow with thread updates for that user turned off. There should be an easier way, but as I'm not paying Chief for the best deal in town! I can put up with it.

I guess :p

I have a question for Christians, but thought it better placed here given the response will likely require bible references.

In Heaven, will Christians (1) be able to sin and (2) have knowledge of their unsaved friends/family in Hell?

I have a question for Christians, but thought it better placed here given the response will likely require bible references.

In Heaven, will Christians (1) be able to sin and (2) have knowledge of their unsaved friends/family in Hell?

(1) In Heaven our sinful nature will be purged; and we will be transformed.

Revelation 21:27 Nothing impure will ever enter it

Phillipians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

(2) Hell was never gods plan. The bible does not say whether that knowledge will be known; it does say that there will be a new order of things and there will not be any mourning.

Revelation 21:4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

(1) In Heaven our sinful nature will be purged; and we will be transformed.

Revelation 21:27 Nothing impure will ever enter it

Phillipians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, 21 who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

(2) Hell was never gods plan. The bible does not say whether that knowledge will be known; it does say that there will be a new order of things and there will not be any mourning.

Revelation 21:4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
We often hear the argument that god gave us the choice to obey or disobey because he wanted us to have free will. If believers can't sin in Heaven, does that mean you have no free will there?

We often hear the argument that god gave us the choice to obey or disobey because he wanted us to have free will. If believers can't sin in Heaven, does that mean you have no free will there?

You may have heard the prayer “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. Gods will is the same on earth as it will be in heaven. We have already accepted it.

You may have heard the prayer “Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven”. Gods will is the same on earth as it will be in heaven. We have already accepted it.
Most Christians claim they still sin despite accepting his will and lordship over their lives, even after being given a new nature (2Cor 5:17).

Most Christians claim they still sin despite accepting his will and lordship over their lives, even after being given a new nature (2Cor 5:17).

1 John‬ ‭1‬:‭8‬ ‭NIV
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
‭‭‬‬
Accepting gods will means having a sincere belief in Jesus, what he done and strengthening ourselves through his teaching.

Last edited:
Christians pick and choose what they want from the Bible. My sister is a pastor of a church in North Queensland and very anti-gay. When I suggest to her that the prohibitions against same sex relationships in the Bible was a cultural thing she disagrees. But when I question her as to why she is a pastor when the Bible specifically says that a woman should be silent in church. "Oh that was just a cultural thing". :drunk:

In the Jewish Tanakh you can read,

Book of Mishlei (Proverbs): Chapter 3
3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: 3:12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

In the NT you can read the same

Hebrews 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth.

Obviously the Christian should not despise the chastening of the LORD. Why would he despise it? if he is aware of some sins, wouldn't that be the reason he is being chastised? Shouldn't that belief also aid him in his suffering?

Accepting God's will often means accepting chastisement.

Christians pick and choose what they want from the Bible. My sister is a pastor of a church in North Queensland and very anti-gay. When I suggest to her that the prohibitions against same sex relationships in the Bible was a cultural thing she disagrees. But when I question her as to why she is a pastor when the Bible specifically says that a woman should be silent in church. "Oh that was just a cultural thing". :drunk:
1 Corinthians 5:12-13
For what have I to do to judge them that are without? Do not you judge them that are within? For them that are without, God will judge.

Obviously your sister is anti-homosexual behaviour where her congregants are concerned, because what has she to do with them that are without? Real Christians wouldn't waste their time judging those that are without as you judge those that claim to be "within"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Corinthians 5:12-13
For what have I to do to judge them that are without? Do not you judge them that are within? For them that are without, God will judge.

Obviously your sister is anti-homosexual behaviour where her congregants are concerned, because what has she to do with them that are without? Real Christians wouldn't waste their time judging those that are without as you judge those that claim to be "within"?

In English please.

She wouldn't judge an atheist homosexual would she, and that's because they are "without" and not "within" her congregation.

So basically, what does your sister have to do with the likes of you?

That completely avoids my point though doesn't it.

What point is that, that your sister shouldn't be teaching in a church? So why do you call her "Christian" then?

That Christians cherry pick from the Bible parts that suit their own personal beliefs while disregarding parts that don't.

That Christians cherry pick from the Bible parts that suit their own personal beliefs while disregarding parts that don't.
So you're talking about heretics and their private interpretation of the Bible then?

You know the word heretic comes from a Greek word meaning able to choose, so what you're saying is that your sister is a heretic!

So you're talking about heretics and their private interpretation of the Bible then?

You know the word heretic comes from a Greek word meaning able to choose, so what you're saying is that your sister is a heretic!

I think most people are heretics when it comes down to it.

In the Jewish Tanakh you can read,

Book of Mishlei (Proverbs): Chapter 3
3:11 My son, despise not the chastening of the LORD; neither be weary of his correction: 3:12 For whom the LORD loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

In the NT you can read the same

Hebrews 12:6
For whom the Lord loveth, he chastiseth.

Obviously the Christian should not despise the chastening of the LORD. Why would he despise it? if he is aware of some sins, wouldn't that be the reason he is being chastised? Shouldn't that belief also aid him in his suffering?

Accepting God's will often means accepting chastisement.
What did Jesus' sacrifice accomplish if believers continue to sin?

What did Jesus' sacrifice accomplish if believers continue to sin?
Many things, to name one though, it brought the gentiles to the faith.

Psalms 2:8
Ask of me, and I will give thee the Gentiles for thy inheritance, and the utmost parts of the earth for thy possession.

Of course to the Jew you gentiles haven't been inherited yet, or have ya?

And what evidence do you have to support this claim?

Do you dispute anything I posted about the origins of the figure 'Satan' in Christian theology? If so.. explain it and back up what you say with some supporting evidence.

Your man Bart D Ehrman believes whole heartedly that Jesus was crucified. He says the evidence is overwhelming.

Are you sneaking off to mystical Jesus land again ?

You come to this thread expecting some challenging stuff given how the concept of 'faith' plays such an important role in many people's lives.

But referring to people of the jewish faith as 'our enemies' is vile.

I am not naive enough to think this antisemitic hatred doesn't exist but that it is expressed so openly and on a footy forum makes you realise that something deeply troubling is happening in our society.

What you are missing is the baiting by Roy. The term enemies is to make the point that it wasn’t in the Jewish interest to have the Jesus that was crucified under Pilot being a real person. But of course all the scholars and Jewish of course know it to be true.
Jewish scholars will even tell you that the tomb was empty.

Roy is a disgruntled mythical Jesus advocate who’s been shown many times that it just isn’t the case .

Your man Bart D Ehrman believes whole heartedly that Jesus was crucified. He says the evidence is overwhelming.

Yes? And was asking what evidence our suspended "friend" was talking about.
Are you sneaking off to mystical Jesus land again ?

I've made my position on the matter very clear to you. On a number of occasions. Do a search.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back