The big 4 clubs and the AFL's future

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
For sure

Storm would probably come out tops on a similar "survey"

I was thinking that.

But equally, they need to do something about how memberships are calculated. Both Richmond and Hawthorn claim to have 70K+ members.

However, last Friday night at the MCG which was, for the purposes of membership, a "home" game for both clubs, attracted less than 50K patrons.

That simply doesn't stack up.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I was thinking that.

But equally, they need to do something about how memberships are calculated. Both Richmond and Hawthorn claim to have 70K+ members.

However, last Friday night at the MCG which was, for the purposes of membership, a "home" game for both clubs, attracted less than 50K patrons.

That simply doesn't stack up.

Once again, numbers through the gate are the best measure.

More meaningful figures like these are sometimes published in the press on an ad hoc basis.

1399377515477.jpg

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...eal-figures-for-your-club-20140506-zr5tt.html

Agree with much of this (though SCG/ANZ attendances haven't been special for Sydney v GWS). It's simply a national competition trait. A fan watching at home on TV contributes much less than one who attends the game, whatever the reasons for non-attendance.
That's true as well. As GWS get more fans (which will take another 5-10 years to get a decent fanbase), our numbers will improve.

But you're right, regardless of who is going, bigger crowds=more money. The adjustment is more a "bragging rights" argument, but from a pure dollar perspective a strong Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon generates a LOT more cash.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The big 4 are losing their importance by the year. TV rights is king.

Roos v Dogs got more supporters to their game than Ess v Blues and no one battered an eye lid.
Absolutely right. The link between the big 4 and TV is bullshit. More money now then there has ever been with the historic big 4 or 5 playing poorly.

Some of the posters on here still live in the 1970s in the VFL.. Hawks are flying, Cats surging, Bulldogs up to their eyeballs and the Kangaroos are real contenders.

Before the AFL was created in 1990 there 93 VFL flags were won by and then 26 AFL flags since.

CARLTON 15 since 1
ESSENDON 14 since 2
COLLINGWOOD 13 since 2
MELBOURNE 12 since 0
RICHMOND 10 since 0

64 out of 93 at 69% for VFL.

Since
HAWTHORN 5
WEST COAST 3
BRISBANE 3
GEELONG 3
ADELAIDE 2
NORTH 2
SYDNEY 2
PORT 1

(CARLTON 1, COLLINGWOOD 2,
ESSENDON 2) at 19%

That is why there is $2.5 billion dollars now.

Back then the VFL report in 1986 stated that Fitzroy (merged), Geelong, Footscray (renamed) um, um, um Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond were in dire straits.

National competition brings dollars for all...but the VFL board screw the Bulldogs, Saints and others with the fixture and ground contracts.

Eddie doesnt want to allow an even playing field in the things like fixture, ground contract, soft cap for non-player expenditure, ( Gubby is not in the soft cap but will spend 95% in list management, which is in the cap, but will hide behind the Academy position, more bullshit).

Accept it, embrace it, improve management, get a good list manager and you are in play for finals and flags.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Despite the dribble on this thread it is an extremely good point.

The big four would represent somewhere between 2-3 million AFL fans, or about the same as all the other clubs combined if you exclude Adelaide and West Coast, and don't consider any survey about Sydney to be factual.

Was that you Eddie, or was it drongo911, there no facts about Sydney.

Stop crying your upsetting me..

If Geelong wasn't one of the teams would you still be posting this thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who? Me?

Yes. All clubs experience peaks and troughs. Problem is some people are clinging to memories from last century

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
The big 4 can only blame themselves for being where they are. Only this year you could say Carlton fully recovered from their bans in early 2000s, they look like they are in the best position going forward. Although they have Stephen Trigg who will certainly make a monumental * up at some point. Essendon are ****ed for the next 10 years, Richmond are a rabble full stop and Collingwood will remain hopeless until Nathan leaves. Victorian footy is in great shape, Queensland is the problem. Barely capable of having one team there let alone two.

The big 4 can only blame themselves for being where they are. Only this year you could say Carlton fully recovered from their bans in early 2000s, they look like they are in the best position going forward.

That is complete horsehit. They haven't taken that long to recover from their bans. They've taken that long to recover from themselves. A couple of draft picks does not equal a 15 year sentence of poor performance. Teams have blown similar picks and still been competitive.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
The big 4 can only blame themselves for being where they are. Only this year you could say Carlton fully recovered from their bans in early 2000s, they look like they are in the best position going forward. Although they have Stephen Trigg who will certainly make a monumental **** up at some point. Essendon are stuffed for the next 10 years, Richmond are a rabble full stop and Collingwood will remain hopeless until Nathan leaves. Victorian footy is in great shape, Queensland is the problem. Barely capable of having one team there let alone two.
I scoff every time I read this (not just because it's my team on this occasion). Who are you to know how a team will be in 10 years? The dogs were screwed for 5 years at least when Griffen and Higgins left. Two years later and they could be contending for a premiership. People said Carlton were screwed for a long time, just at the start of this season, but now they're sweet? The average rebuild is less than 5 years. Give me a break.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I scoff every time I read this (not just because it's my team on this occasion). Who are you to know how a team will be in 10 years? The dogs were screwed for 5 years at least when Griffen and Higgins left. Two years later and they could be contending for a premiership. People said Carlton were screwed for a long time, just at the start of this season, but now they're sweet? The average rebuild is less than 5 years. Give me a break.
nah rebuilds take 8 years, just ask the tigs

Back