The big 4 clubs and the AFL's future

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking that.

But equally, they need to do something about how memberships are calculated. Both Richmond and Hawthorn claim to have 70K+ members.

However, last Friday night at the MCG which was, for the purposes of membership, a "home" game for both clubs, attracted less than 50K patrons.

That simply doesn't stack up.

A (very, very) small sample, but use me as an example.

I made it across to the MCG after work to watch the Hawks play and the wife looked after the kids (all members).

Not everyone has the ability to make it to every game and some pick and choose as there is a large supply of games to attend.

The "big four" is drastically overstated and used by the four teams as a means to promote their clubs to sponsors etc.

What did they come up with?

The Anzac Day match, as it now stands, was the work of Kevin Sheedy, the RSL (under Bruce Ruxton), Collingwood and the AFL.

No other club at that point had proposed such a one-out match. The AFL simply scheduled matches on the day.

It has only been SINCE 1995 that other clubs have tried to get Anzac themed matches.

The Anzac Day match, as it now stands, was the work of Kevin Sheedy, the RSL (under Bruce Ruxton), Collingwood and the AFL.

No other club at that point had proposed such a one-out match. The AFL simply scheduled matches on the day.

It has only been SINCE 1995 that other clubs have tried to get Anzac themed matches.

Again, what did they do?

They were fortunate to get a sellout crowd and drawn game in 95. Had it only been 60-70k and a one sided belting it wouldn't have gathered the steam that it did.

I love my club and am happy to contribute to our long term financial security. Might be a difficult concept for you to understand.

That's a totally foreign concept, us Richmond supporters have only saved our club from extinction then answered the call again twenty years later and bailed it out of massive debt.

May your ignorance continue to bring you Richmond-like results on the field.

That's a totally foreign concept, us Richmond supporters have only saved our club from extinction then answered the call again twenty years later and bailed it out of massive debt.

May your ignorance continue to bring you Richmond-like results on the field.

Don't worry I'm sure it won't be too long till Richmond are in another financial crisis and have their hand out. Luckily for you the AFL takes from rich clubs like mine to prop up s**t clubs.

Don't worry I'm sure it won't be too long till Richmond are in another financial crisis and have their hand out. Luckily for you the AFL takes from rich clubs like mine to prop up s**t clubs.

Richmond's turned a profit for 11 consecutive years, similar to your mob.

Boo effing hoo.

Is it the AFL's fault that Carlton overrated their list as premiership quality in 2012, leading to the disastrous tenure of Malthouse?

Is it the AFL's fault that Collingwood entered a murder-suicide pact with a man who had no coaching experience?

Is it the AFL's fault that Essendon hired a favourite son with no coaching experience and subsequently ran a shonky supplements program that almost destroyed the club?

Is it the AFL's fault that Richmond overrated their top liners and constantly topped up the list with a cavalcade of duds, hoping the same old gameplan would yield a premiership?

It's an even competition, if you aren't improving, you're going backwards and that is said club's fault, not the AFL's or the teams that improve around them.

The supporters of so called big 4 clubs should suck it up and be thankful they don't have to put up with a pack of parochial dills suggesting they relocate, merge or fold for having the audacity to be a bit crap for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking that.

But equally, they need to do something about how memberships are calculated. Both Richmond and Hawthorn claim to have 70K+ members.

However, last Friday night at the MCG which was, for the purposes of membership, a "home" game for both clubs, attracted less than 50K patrons.

That simply doesn't stack up.
I joined the local RSL club recently. They said they have over 1000 members.
Last Tuesday I went down for meal and there was only around 50 people there.
They need to do something about how they calculate their members - those numbers simply don't stack up.

I am salt free this year, however there was much salt in the previous 3 years.
I have to ask, if there's four teams in the big 4, wouldn't each of those be a quarter of the size of that sample, therefore making each individual sample of the big four not very salty at all?

Boo effing hoo.

Is it the AFL's fault that Carlton overrated their list as premiership quality in 2012, leading to the disastrous tenure of Malthouse?

Is it the AFL's fault that Collingwood entered a murder-suicide pact with a man who had no coaching experience?

Is it the AFL's fault that Essendon hired a favourite son with no coaching experience and subsequently ran a shonky supplements program that almost destroyed the club?

Is it the AFL's fault that Richmond overrated their top liners and constantly topped up the list with a cavalcade of duds, hoping the same old gameplan would yield a premiership?

It's an even competition, if you aren't improving, you're going backwards and that is said club's fault, not the AFL's or the teams that improve around them.

The supporters of so called big 4 clubs should suck it up and be thankful they don't have to put up with a pack of parochial dills suggesting they relocate, merge or fold for having the audacity to be a bit crap for a while.

Johnny Karate, folks. Cancelled his snow holiday.

Not enough 80k + crowds this year.. if any...

Crowds maybe +4% so far this year but with big four up and running it would be +20%

Boo effing hoo.

Agree we are just giving everyone a go - our record 16 premierships not under any great threat. We are still the best.

I am salt free this year, however there was much salt in the previous 3 years.
I have to ask, if there's four teams in the big 4, wouldn't each of those be a quarter of the size of that sample, therefore making each individual sample of the big four not very salty at all?

I believe it was averaged out across the four. So Collingwood and Richmond were highly saline, whilst Carlton was brackish and the Dons, being past the point of caring, brought the average right down. I'm not sure who did the data collection though, I think it was someone important though.

Not enough 80k + crowds this year.. if any...

Crowds maybe +4% so far this year but with big four up and running it would be +20%

Possibly. Scheduling hasnt helped though. Talking as a Hawthorn fan but weve played 5 games in Victoria (74k v Cats, 50k v Tigers, 47k v Dogs, 45k v Crows and v 43k v Eagles). We play the Swans at the MCG next Friday and the early expectation is for 63k plus (on the website).

The scheduling has so much to do with attendance numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back