"The Big Dance" and other Grand Final week cliches

Remove this Banner Ad

Calling the Brownlow medal "Charlie".

Just horrible.

It's mainly the media that try so hard to use the "Charlie" word. Eg, taking Charlie home.

Since the medal started people call it the Brownlow Medal or simply the Brownlow. Think about all the dud ussions people have about the Brownlow, who the hell calls it Charlie? Sounds so cringeworthy .

But no, needy media types pretending with some hipster duffs name. Horrible.

i recall in the 90s ch 7 had a song called "who's gonna take charlie home tonight, who's gonna take him home?". i reckon that was pre hipster days

i recall in the 90s ch 7 had a song called "who's gonna take charlie home tonight, who's gonna take him home?". i reckon that was pre hipster days
And it was a shocker then too.
Just leave it as Brownlow, it's a classic

For some reason 'The big dance' reminds me of the Charlie Brown Christmas dance, where the scene hasn't been drawn very well so it kind of looks like all the characters are dancing whilst lying on their backs.

One pundit adamant it’s your bottom 6 that win grand finals and another adamant it’s your top 6 stars that need to play well to win.

How about shock horror it’s the best team that performs highest overall as a combination of all players that wins hahaha

There will plenty dancing with Charlie at the Brownlow (particularly the after parties), bit only one or two will be truly taking Charlie home. The rest will be leaving with their bags well and truly empty!

Players who are interviewed trotting out the old 'we'll treat it like just another game'....

Which is amazing when you consider that during the year, same players will say (in reference to a must win game) 'we'll treat this game like a grand final'...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players who are interviewed trotting out the old 'we'll treat it like just another game'....

Which is amazing when you consider that during the year, same players will say (in reference to a must win game) 'we'll treat this game like a grand final'...
Conversely its more than a game. Or its war.

One pundit adamant it’s your bottom 6 that win grand finals and another adamant it’s your top 6 stars that need to play well to win.

How about shock horror it’s the best team that performs highest overall as a combination of all players that wins hahaha

But what about the middle 10? Do they not matter at all?

'Grand' Final is an expression pretty much confined to Australia. Every other sport seems to have quarter-finals, semi-finals and other variants - all leading up to 'The Final".

For some reason, here we decided to tack the word Grand onto it - dunno why, both AFL and NRL do it. I think the soccer over here did it too.

I like it. So, in one sense, I don't mind 'Grannie' - but I prefer 'Grand Final'.
Technically you can only have a grand final if there are preliminary finals, so the term is correct in our code.
it's when local cricket is called a grand final when all they have are semi-finals and then a FINAL that I get obsessed about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back