Game Day The Big One!...WAFL Grand Final. Peel v $ubiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, Nyhuis has gone past WAFL level .He will play AFL next season.

Just because he plays one player match-up perfectly - does that really qualify him for AFL level?

Also I don't see whose spot he takes - our back-line is stacked. If Spurr fizzles out then I'm all for it. Although him and Johnson + potentially Wilson (Which is why I don't like this target) will be stonewalling youth until they're gone.

Just because he plays one player match-up perfectly - does that really qualify him for AFL level?

Also I don't see whose spot he takes - our back-line is stacked. If Spurr fizzles out then I'm all for it. Although him and Johnson + potentially Wilson (Which is why I don't like this target) will be stonewalling youth until they're gone.

He has played well for the last two seasons. Hard worker at training . The one player match up comment shows you dont see a lot of Peel. Nyhuis plays on all types of forwards and I cant remember him being beaten. Opposition small forwards have been a problem for us for awhile. Nyhuis is a true lockdown defender and the only one I can think of on our list .

He has played well for the last two seasons. Hard worker at training . The one player match up comment shows you dont see a lot of Peel. Nyhuis plays on all types of forwards and I cant remember him being beaten. Opposition small forwards have been a problem for us for awhile. Nyhuis is a true lockdown defender and the only one I can think of on our list .

No I made the comment because a lot of people have been assuming that from this finals series he would be coming into the seniors team. Which isn't going to happen. If he has a good pre-season and JLT series then the question can be revisited.

No I made the comment because a lot of people have been assuming that from this finals series he would be coming into the seniors team. Which isn't going to happen. If he has a good pre-season and JLT series then the question can be revisited.

No ,posters are commenting he will play seniors because of 2 great WAFL seasons. You havent seen him play for Peel have you?

Grey would be the only other one imo but we aren't playing him there.

I thought the Peel midfielders were a bit ordinary for the first three quarters but really stepped up in the last quarter. Danyle Pearce was a liability early in the game but in many ways won the game in the end. Suban was really good in Q4 also, Sutty did some key things, and that goal by Sheridan was classy af. If they played the rest of the game like they did in Q4 Peel would have absolutely destroyed Subi. Like others have said, Subi had plenty of opportunities to win it but the cream rose to the top in the end :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep the Suban knockers are lemmings.

Nup - virtually no-one would question his intent and attitude. Us Suban knockers are more driven by his lack of ability and output, despite the enormous opportunity he has had to make an impact at AFL level.

Edit - in associating myself with those that are Suban knockers, I've probably overstated the position. I'm not an active detractor - just not a believer!!

Last edited:
No ,posters are commenting he will play seniors because of 2 great WAFL seasons. You havent seen him play for Peel have you?

It's funny that you're trying hard to word your responses like you have some kind of authoritative standing on the matter and disregard all logic on our clubs situation.

I don't watch week to week but I've watched enough of him to know that there isn't a lot of players down back that he's in front of. He's not good enough yet. Who cares if he's had 2 great seasons or is a hard trainer - it doesn't mean in every case that you should be guaranteed AFL opportunities.

He had some chances this year but was horrible 3/4 of them. He hasn't necessarily translated well into AFL. The "2 years" that you said, the "hard-training attitude" that you stated from the past - all irrelevant going into next year. It's the now that matters.

The reality is this finals series that has just past, his next pre-season and what he does in JLT - given his 4 AFL games experience is what his senior selection will be based off. Nothing else. So with that in mind - is that enough for him to be in front of other youngsters in Hughes, Weller, Logue and Ryan? You think he has priority over Hamling, APearce, Johnson and Spurr? You think if we land Wilson he won't be blocking another spot on selection?

Lets see how he goes during a proper selection period.

Poor old Subes. He's one of those blokes that's too good for Wafl yet not quite Afl standard. We've got 7/8 blokes to get rid of before Subes. I'd be trading him if a suitor emerged, or give him 1 year for depth. Seems a great clubman.

It's funny that you're trying hard to word your responses like you have some kind of authoritative standing on the matter and disregard all logic on our clubs situation.

I don't watch week to week but I've watched enough of him to know that there isn't a lot of players down back that he's in front of. He's not good enough yet. Who cares if he's had 2 great seasons or is a hard trainer - it doesn't mean in every case that you should be guaranteed AFL opportunities.

He had some chances this year but was horrible 3/4 of them. He hasn't necessarily translated well into AFL. The "2 years" that you said, the "hard-training attitude" that you stated from the past - all irrelevant going into next year. It's the now that matters.

The reality is this finals series that has just past, his next pre-season and what he does in JLT - given his 4 AFL games experience is what his senior selection will be based off. Nothing else. So with that in mind - is that enough for him to be in front of other youngsters in Hughes, Weller, Logue and Ryan? You think he has priority over Hamling, APearce, Johnson and Spurr? You think if we land Wilson he won't be blocking another spot on selection?

I think we need a small/Med shut down defender in our side and he's (Nyhuis) currently the best we've got. The round one defence should be (imo);

Nyhuis Hamling Logue
Hughes Pearce Ryan

Poor old Subes. He's one of those blokes that's too good for Wafl yet not quite Afl standard. We've got 7/8 blokes to get rid of before Subes. I'd be trading him if a suitor emerged, or give him 1 year for depth. Seems a great clubman.
He's one of the only mids we have who run both ways, should be b22 imo

Well I used to think Matt Deboer should have been b22 too, so I'll pay that.

GWS proved I was right btw

Anyone know if there's anywhere I can see a replay of the game?

Ditto, you have based your opinion on Nyhuis with out seeing him play . He has played minimal AFL games , one in which in a position he is not used to as a lockdown forward he kicked 4 goals to be in our best. The other game was a lost cause where the side was thumped in all positions. The club cares that he has had 2 great WAFL seasons and is a hard trainer. Silly comment by you. Thats why he will remain on the list. None of the players you mentioned play the lockdown defender on the small forwards incl Wilson. And your right it is irrelevant what he has produced so far going into next season but that applies to all on the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back